Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Oh, and just to get us back on the topic of Trader Joe's, I overheard people at Peet's today talking about how they can't believe that Des Moines, IA, has a Trader Joe's, and Denver doesn't. I laughed (to myself) because it made me think of this thread.
So does Omaha, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville and several other midwestern cities smaller than Denver. That is their growth area right now. I think they will expand to Colorado eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Oh, and just to get us back on the topic of Trader Joe's, I overheard people at Peet's today talking about how they can't believe that Des Moines, IA, has a Trader Joe's, and Denver doesn't. I laughed (to myself) because it made me think of this thread.
Why do people act like TJ's is some kind of Disney park...how good could it possibly be??

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why do people act like TJ's is some kind of Disney park...how good could it possibly be??
The prices on certain staples are excellent, there is a liberal "free sample" policy, and the well-paid staff are genuinely helpful and friendly. It makes shopping a pleasure. It's inconsistent in its stocking, but if you go there before going somewhere like, say, Whole Foods, you can knock a lot off your list at a much better price.

A lot of the stuff is very meh (if not downright disgusting), but once you familiarize yourself with it, it's a very useful kind of place. Most of my friends have hated it at first (mainly because they expected it to be a normal one-stop grocery store), but uniformly grown to value it.

And if you're in a hurry or having a highly scheduled week, it's a great place to stop off for a few key ingredients very quickly.

My life is fine without it, but I miss the convenience/savings and the fun of seeing what new items they're stocking.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,949 times
As a recent southern transplant in Denver, I'm reading these posts with amusement. I agree....Denver needs Trader Joe's....also In 'n Out Burger! I also am somewhat confused by the roads that just end....and suddenly pick up several blocks later! We're going through lots of gas trying to figure out the maze....

I heard from an "inside source" that TJ's is coming to Denver...4 locations in 2012. This comes from a former Cali. TJ's asst mgr who recently transferred here to Denver with her hubby's job. crossing my fingers that this is true!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPJohnson View Post
As a recent southern transplant in Denver, I'm reading these posts with amusement. I agree....Denver needs Trader Joe's....also In 'n Out Burger! I also am somewhat confused by the roads that just end....and suddenly pick up several blocks later! We're going through lots of gas trying to figure out the maze....

I heard from an "inside source" that TJ's is coming to Denver...4 locations in 2012. This comes from a former Cali. TJ's asst mgr who recently transferred here to Denver with her hubby's job. crossing my fingers that this is true!!!
The maze is half the fun

I like the maze. It's part of what keeps us from being a completely homogenous western city. Phoenix has a particularly well laid out road system...very much so on a grid with only a few glaring exceptions...but the result is cookie cutter houses for two miles and then a grocery store / shopping center, followed by more of the same. No character...no quirks...no charm...nothing to complain about

As far as Trader Joes and In N Out Burger go...well, I just don't see that we need them. We have Good Times, Noodles and Co, Qdoba, Chipotle, Sunflower Market, Whole Foods...all chains, mind you, but at least some of them based out of the Denver area. I've grown up with Trader Joes...they're nice for a bit, but really nothing special. I just don't know why it's so imperative that we be just like everyone else... I hardly think the kinds of things TJ's and In N Out offer are things that Denver is "missing." They're just things we don't have...and I think that's okay.

What we really need are more Mom n Pops, more farmer's markets and more interesting street vendors (of which we do have some good ones!)

Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's not. Don't believe every thing you hear. TJs is nothing but an upscale 7-Eleven convenience store for yuppies. There is absolutely nothing that you could buy at TJs, that you can't buy at someplace in Denver at a comparable price.

Same for In-N-Out Burger. All it is, is just your typical menu of greasy fried burgers served with Thousand Island dressing (secret sauce), that you can get anywhere. If you want to kill yourself eating that crap, you can do it just as easily ay McDs.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 09-22-2011 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Just moved back a few months ago from Southern California for the thousandth and last time myself..I have listened to the virtues of IN N Out, TJ's and an assortment of other places we supposedly need at full throttle nauseum . Both Tj's and In-Out are highly overrated just like the Southland IMO..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Just moved back a few months ago from Southern California for the thousandth and last time myself..I have listened to the virtues of IN N Out and TJ's and an assortment of other places we supposedly need . Both Tj's and In-Out are highly overrated just like the Southland IMO..
Oh, I agree. I'll throw Dunkin' Donuts into the mix, too. I admit that sometimes I think it's fun to not have any of these places in Denver, just to see the reaction when I tell someone that 'we don't have those here.'

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It's not. Don't believe every thing you hear. TJs is nothing but an upscale 7-Eleven convenience store for yuppies. There is absolutely nothing that you could buy at TJs, that you can't buy at someplace in Denver at a comparable price.

Same for In-N-Out Burger. All it is, is just your typical menu of greasy fried burgers served with Thousand Island dressing (secret sauce), that you can get anywhere. If you want to kill yourself eating that crap, you can do it just as easily ay McDs.
Actually.... no. TJs sells their own brand of many things, and they're at a lower price than you'll find for comparable items. That's part of the beauty of TJs. They have original items at low prices. And healthy items too.

I don't know about In-n-Out... I don't eat beef or fast food, so I couldn't care less about them. I know they recently expanded to Texas, which is odd since they had been all about staying in California for so long.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Actually.... no. TJs sells their own brand of many things, and they're at a lower price than you'll find for comparable items. That's part of the beauty of TJs. They have original items at low prices. And healthy items too.
So what? Safeway and King Soopers sell their own brands too. Most store brands are just generic products anyway that are distributed with special packaging for each store they are sold at. Same products at two different stores. Just a different logo stamped on each package.

As for low prices, I don't buy it. Where I live I have a choice of a TJs, or an open air independent market, just a block apart from each other. Roughly they seem to sell the same line of products. I can't speak for all products, but I do know that produce (which is what is important to me) is about is about one-third the price at the independent market, compared to what TJs charges. Yet Californians are lined up like sheep that the TJs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver