Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
All three of those houses are in "Green Valley Ranch"-- you should search the forum archives for threads about that neighborhood. Overall, no, that's not considered a desirable area. Newer homes, yes, but a LOT of forclosures, a lot of low income, section-8 rentals around there. Close to the airport, but far from everything else. Not the greatest schools either. It's one of the cheapest areas to buy a home in Denver for a reason.
This may be an accurate assessment if you are comparing this area to other Denver neighborhoods. But if it is a choice between this area or a Pueblo neighborhood, you are probably better off with GVR.

IMHO the biggest potential drawback is the proximity to the airport and potential noise as a result of that. I'm not sure if it's really an issue or not, which is why I encourage you to stand around and wait for a plane to fly by and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 04:23 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolcypher View Post
We will get a better feel of the area once we visit there in April. We really like that the area is open to people with diverse backgrounds, although we are not Mexicans, we are Hispanics. (I was born in Nicaragua, but moved to the States at age 6). Therefore, we would like an area that is welcoming. Last year we visited Kentucky and Tennessee, and I cannot even tell you how many times we were stopped by the police for "normal check-ups", nothing wrong with that, but it gets annoying after a while. Don't get mad, I still love Tennessee and Kentucky, both beautiful states and beautiful people .
That would not happen in Pueblo or Denver, at least I don't hear of that happening here.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This may be an accurate assessment if you are comparing this area to other Denver neighborhoods. But if it is a choice between this area or a Pueblo neighborhood, you are probably better off with GVR.

IMHO the biggest potential drawback is the proximity to the airport and potential noise as a result of that. I'm not sure if it's really an issue or not, which is why I encourage you to stand around and wait for a plane to fly by and see for yourself!
This is why when it comes to housing Pueblo wins for affordability. For under 200,000 dollars the OP could live in some of the best neighborhoods in Pueblo or they could live in the far suburbs of the Denver MSA that are not some of the best and more desirable places to live. Then have to drive in traffic to get anywhere, especially to get to downtown for events.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is why when it comes to housing Pueblo wins for affordability. For under 200,000 dollars the OP could live in some of the best neighborhoods in Pueblo or they could live in the far suburbs of the Denver MSA that are not some of the best and more desirable places to live. Then have to drive in traffic to get anywhere, especially to get to downtown for events.
As opposed to driving from Pueblo to Denver for events? Yeah, that sounds so much easier!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
As opposed to driving from Pueblo to Denver for events? Yeah, that sounds so much easier!
There are very few events the OP would have to drive to Denver for, if any. That would all depend on their interests as Pueblo is large enough to have a variety of things to do. Even most, if not all, of the shopping could be done in Pueblo.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Joss, you know I think you're a great guy. We all love that you love Pueblo so much. But if you think for a second that down town Pueblo offers the same style of amenities that down town Denver does, you are woefully mistaken. (Remember, you initially had said, "...especially downtown for events.")

Can one go to an MLB game in downtown Pueblo? Can one go to an NFL Game in downtown Pueblo? Can one go to NHL/NBA in Pueblo? Can one go to a world class performing arts venue in downtown Pueblo?

It has come a long way, but Pueblo is simply not on the same level as Denver and does not compare. It does not even compare to Colorado Springs at this point.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
There are very few events the OP would have to drive to Denver for, if any......
Your boosterism has crossed into the realm of total delusion with that remark.

Ticket Master, Tickets West, Ticket Horse, etc, have never sent me a notice for any events in Pueblo other than the annual state fair. Meanwhile, there are hundreds of events in Denver every month, from multiple sporting venue of all 5 pro sports, theaters, and music venues of every size and description....not to mention the annual events like the Dragon Boat Races, house tours, and so many many more. Hell, the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver gets some of the most famous authors in the nation to visit and talk on a regular basis, and the list of Denver events of all sorts is massive, from my investment group to wine tastings to art openings. There's no way one could attend them all, even if one devoted full time to the effort.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Your boosterism has crossed into the realm of total delusion with that remark.

Ticket Master, Tickets West, Ticket Horse, etc, have never sent me a notice for any events in Pueblo other than the annual state fair. Meanwhile, there are hundreds of events in Denver every month, from multiple sporting venue of all 5 pro sports, theaters, and music venues of every size and description....not to mention the annual events like the Dragon Boat Races, house tours, and so many many more. Hell, the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver gets some of the most famous authors in the nation to visit and talk on a regular basis, and the list of Denver events of all sorts is massive, from my investment group to wine tastings to art openings. There's no way one could attend them all, even if one devoted full time to the effort.
Let me clarify what I meant because I do not want to give the OP a wrong impression about Pueblo.

Yes I love it here but I understand there is more going on in Denver simply because the Denver MSA has over 2.5 million people. Denver gets the top Broadway shows, concerts, has all the pro sports teams, and they get visited by more artists then Pueblo does. This is just a small list. The point I was trying to make was Pueblo is large enough and far enough away from Denver where we get a little bit of everything, just on a smaller scale. Some examples are: Pueblo has all the major college sports thru CSU Pueblo and they attract a small number of speakers thru its distinguished speaker series. Pueblo has local theater groups that put on musicals and plays as well as a performing arts center that attracts traveling Broadway and non Broadway musicals and plays. Pueblo gets some big name concerts at the fair but we also get smaller concerts thru the summer on the Riverwalk and the events center at the fair during non fair times that are not nationally known artists but fun to attend. Plus we have book stores that get some writers to do book signings. Since that is not area of interest I can't tell you anything other then I know the book stores do have them.

Now for full disclosure I have no problem driving to Denver to see a event that I can't see in Pueblo. I am always at home Bronco games and I have seen many big name concerts and been to many musicals at the Buell.

However that being said, except for those specific events, I am happy with the variety Pueblo attracts and that was the point I was trying to make. I know many people who never go to Denver because they do not have the desire to spend the money it requires to see the big acts and like the fact they can see a sporting event, speaker, musical or concert in Pueblo for under 50 dollars. I admit that when I re read what I posted it was defiantly worded poorly because it all depends on what the person wants to do or see. That is what I have been trying to convey to the OP from the start. If they want to have all the benefits of living in a large MSA then Pueblo is not for them. However, if they want to live in a smaller MSA but have some amenities of a larger city, just on a smaller scale, then Pueblo is for them. Only they can make that decision. I am just doing my best to let them know what both cities have to offer so they can make up their mind but like I suggest they first visit the area to help them make the final decision of where they want to live.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Psshh.

Not a jab at Pueblo. I do have somewhat of a soft spot for that town since i had some great college memories my 3 years down there at CSU Pueblo (USC when i attended)

Putting downtown Pueblo at the same scale as downtown Denver is insane. Downtown Denver, you have access to 16th Street Mall/Shopping, Dining, Elitch Gardens, MLB, NBA, and NFL (a stone's throw away).

I admire Joseppie's diligence to Pueblo. Lord knows Pueblo needs more people like Joseppie representing it, but Pueblo needs to catch up to Colorado Springs first and its downtown before even think of matching Denver. And i know -J- will say, will Pueblo downtown has more history and substance. Well Colorado Springs has its downtown plus Old Colorado City and nearby Manitou Springs if you want an even richer history.

Joseppie, you should get work for Pueblo visitors and market Pueblo more.

stoneclaw/C2H

Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Psshh.

Not a jab at the Front Range, but...

If you want to live from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, then do it. But to do it right, live up in Briargate or Surrey Ridge or Cherry Creek or 2 miles up Upper Bear Creek Road in Evergreen.

Be rich, have a two income household. Drive around in a Landrover and a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe.

Do it up. $600.00/month car payment? No problem.

What the heck? It's only money.

With regards to Pueblo, it's been a while since I've heard denizens from Colorado Springs or Denver brag about how much less violent crime they have compared to Pueblo... lately.

If you want good schools in Pueblo County, I recommend you look at the Colorado City/Rye area, Pueblo West, or maybe Pueblo County out on the Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver