Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 54,447 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but I had to chime in. Denver is pretty mellow to me and I'm originally from Mississippi. I read one person saying that an individual should move to the South if they wanted to live around African Americans while enjoying low crime/gang activity. WRONG! The South is probably worse per capita than a lot of other cities in the US.

I've been in the Denver area since the summer of '91. My experiences probably mirror the poster livecontent. I just have not been affected by or seen as much crime as I did when I lived in Mississippi. Yes, there are problems here just like anywhere else. No, I do not act as if nothing can happen to me here.

I am always alert and on the lookout just as I would be anyplace. That is just being smart. My family and I live in southeast Aurora in a neighborhood that is mostly Caucasian but very diverse. African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, East Indians, Africans and others also reside in this area.

Here is some interesting information. Check the rankings of various cities....

2008 City Crime Rate Rankings

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

I also thought this was interesting. It's a small comparison of Aurora, Colorado to Jackson, Mississippi which in the largest city in the state of Mississippi......

Aurora, Colorado (Pop. 302,744 in 2007; Denver Metro Area Pop. in 2007 was 2,464,866. 49 homicides in Denver and 18 homicides in Aurora in 2008.)

Jackson, Mississippi (Pop. 176,614 in 2006; Jackson, Metroplitan Area Pop. in 2006 was 529,456. 73 homicides in Jackson alone in 2008.)

Last edited by ebozzz; 02-22-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 26,109 times
dang i remember when it use to be bloods and crips but it got racial when some Crips came out from southern california and said it was a black gang then Surenos started recruiting kids in my nieghbor hood and my older brother joined it that gang in 1993 that year then my cousin joined Nortenos XIV at the same time, that year was pretty bad. I remember when 18th street use to be out here and they didnt get along with south side west wood huds and we lived in that neighbor hood not by choice and they shot up every ones houses on Federal Blvd if you were brown dont ever step out of the house with out some sort of weapon even if you wasnt a gang memeber, thats when i watched my mom get beaten by North Side Mafia Cause of where we lived. thats the same time when Dj Quick got bottles throwen at him cause he threw up a blood sign at that concert then he came out with that song "Just Like Compton"denver trying to be like compton that was funny.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 26,109 times
but yeah most of the shootings in my old neighbor hood is never on the news but the violence is growing out of my old neigborhood and going into Greeley but like on Jan 07th of this year 2009 the news wanst there when that little kid was found dead, and that same day my auntys neighbor son was shot up on north Mariposa st cause he was a north sider. But no matter where you go its going to be the same violence its just learning how to deal with it. Like My cousine Javier from Boston he comes from Jamaica Plains he said the gang violence between Latins is worser then Boston's MS fighting with Latin Kings, and he told me most of the violence out here is coming from Cali, Texas And Juarez Mexico thats why Latin Gangs is rulers out here and the violence between us Latins is not on the News Cause its every where in the West. I bet in Mississippi Them Vatos has a option of choosing the gang life or not when you gang bang out here theres no way out if you want out their gonna take one of your familys with you.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 AM

132 posts, read 351,208 times
[quote=mouseinthehouse;1410554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
My friend told me that out east is were most of the black people are, like in montbello, Parkhill, and Aurora, quote]

I wouldn't move here, you would be moving into what your sons would feel "comfortable" in other words you'd be asking for more trouble.

When I lived in Aurora it was towards Buckingham Square, there were 12 vandalized cars, windows smashed in, our car was stolen, things were stolen.
And this was within 1 week, don't get me started on how many in the entire year I lived there.
When our car was returned it was running but missing half of it's body, the cop said he knew the 3 teens who stole our car and when asked why he didn't purusit, he said "because I know them, they were 3 illegal teens and they won't do anything about it anyways because they're illegals".
We moved instantly, that is no excuse.

The last day before we left we went to Hollywood Video, couldn't even get in the store to return the videos because they had 6 AA juvenile's sitting in hand cuffs blocking the whole store entrance.
Don't even try going to the Country Buffet in the same complex, forget about it, I don't want to get shot over a parking space for food.

Constant low riders and thug mobiles everywhere.

Aurora is mixed but it is VERY divided, the hispanic gang members infest this and most sides of aurora I lived on, then it rolls downwards towards Colfax & 6th. (nothing is in english on colfax and 6th).
Then you go East of Mississippi and you get the AA areas, but that is also mixed becuase you have a lot of refugees out here.
Also going back out towards Colorado Blvd again.
You will find great Ethiopian restaraunts etc, Greek, Jewish.
But they don't take kindly to trouble.

Montbello - bad
Federal Heights - even worse
Five Points - used to be the biggest ghetto and I even heard some gang members saying they were afraid to go there.

It's all in one's perspective really, stay where you are.
Denver cops do not play and once they locate someone they concieve as trouble, they will find you.
And I know this from the day at Hollywood Video how they spoke to the juveniles and spoke on the walkies.
They knew these ppl.
They aren't as fast forward as Orlando, FL was (they all think they are on an espisode of cops back there).

Unless your running to try and hide his record to start over.
Problem is, it will start over, it will start all over and unless you have the bucks to live in the LoDo district or Highlands, your in the unfortunate spot I am in, where I get stuck worried about what I moved in to.

You go further towards Central Denver ex: Colfax /Colorado.
It's very heavy AA to a point, but what I see running around the streets from the highschool is a lot of trouble, they had to post police durring lunch hours to keep the trouble down in the local district, too many teens at once, leads to trouble, they all used to congregate at this gas station all the time and it was very divided.
Punks on the side by Tattered Cover, AA cluttered the gas station, etc etc.

Medicaid (don't know if your curious or not), is decent, it is hard to get because you will sit in the office for 3-4 hours waiting, then its another few months after that before you get it.
Any appointments you need will cost you 80.00 up front for "pending medicaid".

TANF is very difficult as well, you have to go to appts constantly, they are very stringent and you only get 380 if your lucky for a family of 3.
That's IF they deem you able to have it, good luck.

Foodstamps will be on your case and out the other every 3 months and you better have your info in, or forget about it.

There is NO emergency funding unlike CA, which is really bad.

I know that Texas might be somewhere to look into, I'd stay away from Houston.
Because Texas has more lienient outlooks for assistance and they offer emergency assistance.

I hate bringing race into any equasions but you brought it up, I hope this helps answer your question and maybe even some thoughts or questions that could come up later.
Good luck to you, and I commend you for helping your children, it's tough when they fall into that persona, but things can change, look up and stay strong!

What is all this talk about govt aid? There are jobs available for most people (might have to move or join the army or do some hard job or move but they are there) just swallow your pride, pull yourself up by your boot straps and do it.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy! View Post
I bet in Mississippi Them Vatos has a option of choosing the gang life or not when you gang bang out here theres no way out if you want out their gonna take one of your familys with you.
I disagree. Have you ever been to Mississippi? Unlike Denver, the economy has always been terrible. It is consistently one of the poorest states in the nation. In fact, at one time some places in the state were compared to Third World countries due to the degree of poverty that the residents were exposed to. What does that tell you? Well, in my experience high poverty levels always equal higher crime rate.

What I'm trying to say is that when people cannot support themselves sufficiently in an honest fashion, they will become involved in things that may not be honest. That includes the gang lifestyle. Mississippi has Bloods, Crips, Gangs that originated in the Midwest (Ganster Disciples, Black P Stones, etc.), White Supremacist gangs, Latinos as well as Asians. Yes, Asians. Here's an article from The Clarion Ledger the main newspaper of Jackson, Mississippi which is the capital.....

No arrests in Jackson shootings

No arrests in Jackson shootings | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

I just went to their website because I knew that I would find at least one homicide in the news section. Be sure to read some of the comments that readers have left. You may think that Mississippi is country & backwards. To some degree it is but don't let the name fool ya! Sometimes it appears to me that the gangsters down there work harder at being ruthless because they feel that they don't get the notoriety of the big city gangs from L.A., Chicago and others.

There was an HBO special titled Gang War: Bangin' In Little Rock. Check it out if you haven't done so already. It's in Little Rock, Arkansas which is only a few hours drive from Jackson. Better yet have you ever seen The First 48? Memphis is featured in almost every show. It's a 3 hour drive from Jackson. The point that I am trying to make is that if you do your research on those places you will see that gang life is indeed very prevalent. See for yourself.....

YouTube - Gang War: Bangin' In Little Rock

Last edited by ebozzz; 03-09-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Default One More For You From The '90s.....

YouTube - NBC Looks at a Violent Little Rock in the early 90s

Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Default Last One....

YouTube - Little Rock Gang Retrospective

Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 AM

11 posts, read 92,998 times
Default Thank you

Thanks for the info

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-15-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: No advertising, No manual signatures...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 50,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Never been around NE Belltown at night in Seattle then I take it. Westwood is now somehow a hard neighborhood? L.A. is full of dangerous areas, even today, Westwood -- is not and has never been one of them, a ****e area to be certain but no gangland.

Denver has a severe gang problem? LOL. Seriously. Denver in comparison to any city half its size has zero gang issues.
you obviously never been in/around/through westwood. It was and STILL is a dangerous area, epecially if you **** around.

zero gang issues?
keep living in lala land steve

Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 11,953 times
I know this thread is old but I need to add my 2 cent's. Being a white boy who grew up in north denver.. Yea colorado does have gangs and no they arnt a joke. I ran with NSM, Nordenos, ect all the northside clicks and they where brutal. Not one weekend party we went to that didnt get shot up. Alot of my friends got shot, went to jail or died before I decided it was time to move and leave that BS behind.

What you need to understand about denver.. it's so diverse and so big that there are no real ghettos that you need to worry about going to. You could be at the mall in middle of whitevill and see someone get shot.

Just because its not watts, or compton dont think your safe. Cross the wrong person and you will find that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver