Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM

760 posts, read 886,755 times

Advertisements

+1 for the recent pretentious/competitive factor.

Coming from Minneapolis, where people are "nice", but not friendly, I would say it's still a relatively good balance here. I can go out in Cap Hill or Golden by myself and always find people to talk to. Lodo, Highlands, and Wash Park on the other hand are just down right rude. Everyone seems to be a <6 month transplant, and no one is open or friendly to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,646,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Though my neighborhood party a few weeks ago was great; my good friend even postponed her vacation by a day to go-I know what you mean about these d*mn dogs!

The outright friendliest place I've ever lived was Albany NY. Yes, New York! Had similar experiences as you, above.
Dogs are awesome!

Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 AM

8,612 posts, read 14,950,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Dogs are awesome!
They're even better when they're on a leash. Went up Bierstadt yesterday and lost count of the number of jackwagons letting their dogs run free along the trail. I'm sorry, but that's completely effing rude and disrespectful.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
They're even better when they're on a leash. Went up Bierstadt yesterday and lost count of the number of jackwagons letting their dogs run free along the trail. I'm sorry, but that's completely effing rude and disrespectful.
No need to apologize. I totally agree and we keep ours on a leash unless we take them to the dog park. It is also the law in most places.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,417,785 times
I agree that dogs are awesome, but many of their owners not so much. I've told this story before, but a few months ago, I was sitting outside a coffee shop when a man on a cell phone walked by with his dog. The animal was on a lead...shocker...but it was retractable and the dog was being allowed to roam at will. The man was completely oblivious as his dog approached my table and stuck his nose in my Danish, which I snatched away quickly. His owner remained oblivious and continued walking. This is the kind of stuff that infuriates me, and while it certainly happens elsewhere, it's not nearly as prevalent in other parts of the country. I'm familiar with the "my children are perfect" attitude that is endemic everywhere, but the dog thing is unique to Denver. Why is that?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I agree that dogs are awesome, but many of their owners not so much. I've told this story before, but a few months ago, I was sitting outside a coffee shop when a man on a cell phone walked by with his dog. The animal was on a lead...shocker...but it was retractable and the dog was being allowed to roam at will. The man was completely oblivious as his dog approached my table and stuck his nose in my Danish, which I snatched away quickly. His owner remained oblivious and continued walking. This is the kind of stuff that infuriates me, and while it certainly happens elsewhere, it's not nearly as prevalent in other parts of the country. I'm familiar with the "my children are perfect" attitude that is endemic everywhere, but the dog thing is unique to Denver. Why is that?
I am mad just reading your post. The dog stuck its nose in your danish? WTH? The retractable leashes are terrible. You might as well have them off leash.

Most of the time there is a problem with a dog you can blame the owner.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,417,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I am mad just reading your post. The dog stuck its nose in your danish? WTH? The retractable leashes are terrible. You might as well have them off leash.

Most of the time there is a problem with a dog you can blame the owner.
I agree 100%. The thing I can't figure out is why Denver attracts so many of these people. I lost track of the number of dogs I saw at the Pearl Street Market yesterday on retractable leads wandering through the crowd, approaching babies in strollers while their owners were oblivious. Denver is polite, except when it comes to their pets. Glad to know you're one of the attentive and responsible dog owners. The city could use more of you! And I'm sure your dog is awesome!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. The thing I can't figure out is why Denver attracts so many of these people. I lost track of the number of dogs I saw at the Pearl Street Market yesterday on retractable leads wandering through the crowd, approaching babies in strollers while their owners were oblivious. Denver is polite, except when it comes to their pets. Glad to know you're one of the attentive and responsible dog owners. The city could use more of you! And I'm sure your dog is awesome!
Thank you. We take pride in the way we handle our dogs. We know not everybody wants to meet our dog and we make it a point to keep them close to us when we pass somebody on a walk. There are several people that live on my block that have no business having a dog.

My biggest pet peeve (no pun intended) is the dog in a bag. People feel entitled to take them anywhere just because they are in a bag.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,750,534 times
Quote:
Whoa, the mydogisperfect attitude is definitely not unique to Denver. The worst owners gloss over bad dog behavior with lame excuses such as "Oh, he just wants to meet you/play with your dog" or "I rescued him from a kill shelter" or "He was abused at his previous home" or "He doesn't like [men, women, other dogs]". None of the above is relevant to someone who the dog is jumping on, shoving nose into crotch of, biting, or snatching food from. Just keep the dog on a short leash and watch it at all times when not on your own property, that's all. And clean up the messes it leaves, too.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,830,650 times
One city is not friendlier then others. Every city has extremely nice/friendly people and every city has nasty/rude people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver