Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM

431 posts, read 982,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Your words are a good example that sometimes people are simply ready for a change/tradeoff.

I spent more than 30 happy years in Colorado but the aridity got to me after awhile; since then it's been almost 7 years in both the panhandle and now far northeast FL for me. The definition of "gross" can differ; the eczema and bleeding cracks in my hands and feet I got every winter were gross. I've never dealt with 90F at 11pm but there are many other negative aspects of living here (bugs! blurry line between church and state!) that I have willingly embraced. I've acclimated.
Maybe it takes another season here, but I've never experienced the bleeding, cracking skin here. I rarely use hand lotion anywhere either. Give it time, you'll understand the 90 degree humid nights soon enough. What I hated most about the panhandle was that it would dip into the teens almost nightly, but we NEVER got any snow. I lived in Tallahassee for 7+ years and the only time it snowed was one Xmas when I was in SoFL with family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But gross does not hurt! I'd rather my skin sticky but not hurt than dry but painful to the touch.
I don't understand why so many people have this bleeding, cracking skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I prefer rude to unsafe, and I guess it depends how you define rude.

Here in CO, nobody uses turn signals - that's rude.

Here in CO, people don't turn on their light under poor visibility conditions (dusk, fog, etc.) That's unsafe. For example, I was on I-70 near Floyd Hill on Friday afternoon during the snow and fog. Way too many (one is too many!) cars did not have their lights on with a visibility of about 50 feet.
It's not just CO, America is full of selfish idiot drivers who take ridiculous risks to save 5-10 seconds on an entire trip. No turn signals, no headlights in inclement weather or at night. But if you think that's bad try driving in Florida with all the old folks. They cause more accidents than they're involved in. I used to hear about old people driving through the post offices every few weeks because they either drive with two feet or hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. Oh yeah, people will drive well over the speed limit in downpours with their lights off and not think anyhting of it. I once counted 29+ cars on the side of the road who rear ended the car in front of them during a downpounr on I-10 in the panhandle the day before Thanksgiving. All but 1 or 2 of the cars were all giant SUV monstrosities.

/end rant

Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM

112 posts, read 296,735 times
I agree with a lot of the points made, on both sides of the fence. But most recently with the posts by livecontent and country boy from MA. I've traveled west a few times now, and have always felt pulled to return.

I would definitely would be homesick for the Northeast if I moved. There is so much to do and see here. You just name it, pretty much anything you can think of, and you've got it, or you're within a few hours driving to get it. And there is such a cozy, small-town feel to things even just right outside Boston, where I am. But there are also cons, too - weather, cost of living, roads, crowding, and it can be a little difficult to socialize if you're not from the region.

I'm up for a possible transfer to either Los Angeles or Denver and I'm actually really excited to see what happens with either. This was a good thread to stumble upon, so thanks to the OP for making it (your feedback was invaluable, too).

Also, I have to admit that the idea of living in either place with so much more available sunshine is mind-blowing to me. Goodbye Vitamin D pills and trying to make plans based on which day has the forecasted sun (if any)!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM

61 posts, read 201,893 times
Cracking skin, not yet. Most mornings so far have woken about with a sore/dry throat though. And in the middle of the night.

It's nice to have more sun, but it seems like when there is sun (which is about 90% of the time), it's scorching, intense, frying sun, due to elevation and location..rather than moderate, liveable sun. That's my take at least. I feel like I'm going to get skin cancer out here, or turn into a piece of shoe leather!

Last edited by hamster21; 05-15-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
Maybe it takes another season here, but I've never experienced the bleeding, cracking skin here. I rarely use hand lotion anywhere either. Give it time, you'll understand the 90 degree humid nights soon enough. What I hated most about the panhandle was that it would dip into the teens almost nightly, but we NEVER got any snow. I lived in Tallahassee for 7+ years and the only time it snowed was one Xmas when I was in SoFL with family.
That's Tally for you. It's inland, and is known to be both the hottest and the coldest part of the state.
I have seen sleet in northwest Florida, but frankly I did not move there for the snow. They did get the white stuff in 1989.
Maybe I'll experience the 90° humid night, maybe I won't. I live on the breezy east coast which is a bit different from some place like Tallahassee or Orlando, but if a hurricane or tropical storm blows through we would have more than just humidity to contend with. I accept that.
Quote:
I don't understand why so many people have this bleeding, cracking skin.
My husband never got it.
Some do, some don't.
Just like the lure of Colorado.
It's okay that you like it there, and it's okay that I like it here.
Different strokes.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM

431 posts, read 982,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That's Tally for you. It's inland, and is known to be both the hottest and the coldest part of the state.
I have seen sleet in northwest Florida, but frankly I did not move there for the snow. They did get the white stuff in 1989.
Maybe I'll experience the 90° humid night, maybe I won't. I live on the breezy east coast which is a bit different from some place like Tallahassee or Orlando, but if a hurricane or tropical storm blows through we would have more than just humidity to contend with. I accept that.

My husband never got it.
Some do, some don't.
Just like the lure of Colorado.
It's okay that you like it there, and it's okay that I like it here.
Different strokes.
There are a lot of places in FL that are better than Tally, almost anywhere really. I like being just outside a larger city, and Tally is not it. I'd probably have been fine living just outside Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville. I loved Raleigh, but the distance to mountains was just too much so we moved to Denver. I only lived in Tally for school, and to wait for my wife to finish school. We moved a few months after she graduated. I miss Publix though

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Great post. Im from MA but Im the opposite of the op. I hate the rain and love a dry climate. I am open to invitation. And the west chose me like a great magnet pulling and pulling until I finally give in and move there. Where I belong. You rain mongers can have your disgusting wet soggy land. I love it brown and dry!
I am glad you saw the message in my post. I grew up near Buffalo and it rained and rained in the summer and we all know about the winters. My first experience with a dry climate was in West Texas, in San Angelo, for an Army School. It did open my eyes to the idea of a drier climate. I remember flying back to Buffalo from Texas and arriving during a winter storm--it certainly reinforced my desire to live in a drier area.

The OP has no idea of the type of winters here, where it is mostly sunny with much less snow with the low humidity making the cold less so, and the temperatures can rise to the 50 and 60s in January. It certainly beats weeks and weeks of overcast cold bone chilling days in the east. He really does not realize that the heat of the summer is very much diminished by the same low humidity. I should also mention, less bugs and mosquitoes.

However, everyone finds their own place or as I often have said, the place finds you. It is better that each person is invited to a different place, for if it was not, Colorado would be a much more crowded place. This Land knows only to invite a select few, and not all, to protect the fragility of The Great West.

Livecontent

Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Over the years, I've had many friends/family of friends/family visit, as those friends/family are exploring whether to move to Colorado.

When they're here and the timing's right (i.e. it's the during the several months the road is open) I drive them to the top of Mt. Evans.

They either fall in love with Colorado - saying, OMG, I'm home, in a way I've never felt before -

or, they're petrified, complain they can't breathe, can't believe there are wild animals on the road and we think that's okay, there are hair-raising turns in the road, etc. - it's turned out to be a pretty good litmus test, in a quite weird way, for those for whom Colorado is a good choice.

You can't get away from the reality that Colorado is extreme - that is, our climate, our landscape. Our cities, our "civilization" our culture, are pretty average, okay, mediocre - nothing special, but perfectly fine, and adequate.

When you just don't feel good here, that's a sign to not move here, unless you have some very good reason (like a great job opportunity etc.). Respect that reality.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If it weren't for the dryness in Colorado, I would consider moving there, but only to forested areas.
I too prefer a little more humidity than what the southwest offers, but not as humid as D.C. Even Austin is a bit too much for my taste. Silicon Valley seems about right.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Rude how?
1) Constant honking for no reason
2) Angry looks for the slightest problem
3) more than a cars distance between your car and the one in front of you, you'll be cut off.

Just some of my observations on the road here in Philly.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
1) Constant honking for no reason
2) Angry looks for the slightest problem
3) more than a cars distance between your car and the one in front of you, you'll be cut off.

Just some of my observations on the road here in Philly.
Same for the DC region, and most other large cities....aka combat commuting.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver