Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 AM

182 posts, read 323,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
There's a difference though between appreciating somewhere (I can appreciate CO, it's mountains, it's rivers, coffee shops, music venues, it's all very nice, and new, and different) and thinking it sucks to live somewhere (it's dry, terrain is boring, there's very little water/greenery, the sun is too intense, all the other reasons I've listed, and...sports and bars are the last of my priorities on earth...coffee shops are everywhere...people and community events don't outweigh the negatives). That's what I meant. Yes, you can make the best out of anywhere, if you really have to. I don't have to though. So what's the point. Yeah, I could go move to Alabama or Mississippi, and try to make the best of it. I could move to the slums of South America and try to make the best of it. It would be "new" and I would "learn" from my "experiences" doing that, too, just like I would in CO. I'd also be wasting my time.

On the contrary to what you said, every second you waste living in a place that you think sucks to live in is a wasted second of your life, too. Life is short, sometimes doing something you don't want to reaches a point where there's not enough reason to do it.
Yes, but you didn't move to Alabama or Mississippi -you moved somewhere you wanted to. The whole point is that you willingly made this decision because you wanted something different. Unless you can lay claim to the belief that you've already had this new experience you sought, which seems pretty hard to believe, then it still looks like you gave up.

My personal belief is not to leave anything without accomplishing something. Job, city, whatever. If you leave now all you've done is waste a ton of money moving and proven to yourself that you can't make it in freaking Denver of all places.

I hated Sacramento for the first 2 yrs I lived here. Literally wanted to move almost everyday. I told myself I'd leave when I got out of debt (it's cheap here) and had accomplished a couple other goals. If I had left like you are contemplating, I'd have set myself back financially and imprinted a bad taste in my mouth for any other potential move. I stuck it out, got to know and love the city, made a lot of friends, and I have big confidence fnow or my next move, which will probably be to San Diego.

I'd think twice about it if I were you. Just my opinion.

Last edited by NewtoSD?; 05-21-2012 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Hamster,

As I said, I like your posts. There is another big reason for leaving quickly and here is a story of many young men from the East, which I have known personally over many years.

They come here for an adventure. They do not really like Colorado for the reasons you mentioned. They meet a girl from Colorado. They get involved/coupled/married and she does not want to leave her family and zoom, zoom they have babies. The young man. who now is turning into a middle age, has been trying desperately to get his wife to move East; they take a few trips but she is is not convinced. After a few years, the marriage falls apart. The now despairing former Eastern man cannot leave because he wants to be close to his children; all he has left is a fading dream of the green grass, blue waters of the East and his lost youth.

My advice: Keep your pants on, and LEAVE NOW!

Livecontent
LOL C'mon, this happens in every city in America. He could move to Boston and fall in love with a transplant who begs him to move to Nebraska. I see couples move all the time here in Cali. My ex love met a guy in Australia and moved there to marry him.

I wonder where all the money comes from when people say, "move. Just do it". Moving a couple thousand miles costs a couple thousand. Not to mention finding new employment. Unless you have a great opportunity or reason to go, it's flat out stupid.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
LOL C'mon, this happens in every city in America. He could move to Boston and fall in love with a transplant who begs him to move to Nebraska. I see couples move all the time here in Cali. My ex love met a guy in Australia and moved there to marry him.

I wonder where all the money comes from when people say, "move. Just do it". Moving a couple thousand miles costs a couple thousand. Not to mention finding new employment. Unless you have a great opportunity or reason to go, it's flat out stupid.
Lighten Up! My post was only a bit of humor. Obviously, it happens everywhere to many people and the situation is very common. I just specifically talking about the West and Eastern Men and my personal reflections on people, I have met here.

Is is necessary to condition every post with "some not all", "perhaps and maybe" to avoid irritating and offending the tender and fragile nature of some oversensitive reader; so that I must also exact every detail, of every descriptive situation, to avoid a pedantic reply. It would make for very boring and stiff prose and I, as the writer, would not be able to invite the mind of the reader.

People everyday move everywhere, with very little funds, for very little reasons. You see that carefree attitude much in the young. It is the human spirit to seek beyond the hill, and to believe that the grass is more verdant on the other side. Also, desires to see, to explore, to know are part of our human story. If you see that as 'stupid", that is your nature of observation; but is not the observation of human nature.

Livecontent

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Lighten Up! My post was only a bit of humor. Obviously, it happens everywhere to many people and the situation is very common. I just specifically talking about the West and Eastern Men and my personal reflections on people, I have met here.

Is is necessary to condition every post with "some not all", "perhaps and maybe" to avoid irritating and offending the tender and fragile nature of some oversensitive reader; so that I must also exact every detail, of every descriptive situation, to avoid a pedantic reply. It would make for very boring and stiff prose and I, as the writer, would not be able to invite the mind of the reader.

People everyday move everywhere, with very little funds, for very little reasons. You see that carefree attitude much in the young. It is the human spirit to seek beyond the hill, and to believe that the grass is more verdant on the other side. Also, desires to see, to explore, to know are part of our human story. If you see that as 'stupid", that is your nature of observation; but is not the observation of human nature.

Livecontent
LOL no I agree with you. I didn't mean to sound harsh. Such is the dilemma with the internet; it's tough to project the actual intent of what you post sometimes.

I guess the whole part that bothers me here is this kid is throwing in the towel so early. It's as if he had his mind made up the day he stepped foot in Denver.

I'm not suggesting he force himself to stick with a negative situation. Rather, I'm suggesting he's created a negative situation with his outlook. I lived in a couple places that I hated early on, but loved later later after I found X, Y and Z. You have to see a place to form an opinion, don't you?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 150,479 times
I read some of this thread and still look forward to moving to the rockies for a couple years for the experience. I grew up in Eastern PA/NJ border and moved to Western PA (Pittsburgh) over 5 years ago and it took me a few years to get acclimated and we are talking about a move just across a state!

My biggest mistake was taking a job I didn't like, playing into Pittsburgh stereotypes, and living with a girlfriend and us being reliant on each other socially and pretty much living our old life in a new place. When things didn't work out with us I finally opened up my eyes to all the offerings in the area, explored the region, and joined some social groups. To this day I'm still discovering new places in a relatively small city.

When I first moved I would notice every bum on the corner, keep very alert when walking at night, think there was no conversation deeper than talking about the Steelers...but in time I felt part part of a new community rather than being shaken by change and always comparing to my hometown.

I've been to Denver and immediately felt it was no different than an East Coast sprawl city...but it's a gateway to the Rockies. A new outdoor experience. If you miss the ocean after one month you simply weren't meant to try something new. Get out to the continental divide and be humbled. Ski in real powder. Go down to Canon City and try some rafting. Climb some rocks at Ft Collins. Don't just live a closed life with your gf. Meet people in the community and enjoy the laid back vibe vs the east coast "me me me" attitude. Try spending some real time there and then when you do move back to MA you can actually say you lived somewhere different, not just visited it.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM

11 posts, read 19,154 times
You do not want this argument. Boston is the greatest city in the world. Boston Tea Party. Boston creme pie. Boston Rob Mariano.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
A few things Denver has that Mass. does not:
Real Mountains
Great skiing (don't try to tell me about how great NE skiing is)
Awesome trails and hikes with spectacular views (something you don't get with a lot of foliage).
Milder winters
Awesome Forest and Park land
Those points are true, and that is why I much prefer the East to the West. In the East we don't have to worry about wildfires and high fire danger most of the time while in the West drought and wildfires seem to be a continual or ongoing concern.

"Real Mountains" That is subjective. While Mass doesn't have tall mountains, NH is a short drive away and the mountains there are sizable given the fact that Mount Washington has some of the most extreme weather on earth for a "smaller mountain" yet still above tree line.

"Great Skiing" Well that is fairly hard to compete with considering much of CO gets very dry powdery snow since it already has a "very dry" climate in most of the state. Mass has a number of smaller skiing areas with the Berkshires being the best. NH during "good" winters has very good alpine and nordic skiing at Waterville Valley, Loon, Cannon, Wildcat, Sunapee, and Gunstock. All are only 1-2 hour drive from Mass.

"Awesome trails and hikes with spectacular views (something you don't get with a lot of foliage)."

Right, because having a wooded trail and not having any view are not mutually exclusive... I go on wooded trails on the time with panoramic views of the mountains and forests at the summit. Different strokes I guess.

"Milder winters" That would be true in terms of temperature as Colorado is located at a much further south latitude compared to Mass. Also, the sun in Colorado is very intense compared to the more northerly nordic sun angle of Mass and NH during the winter. I prefer winters with snow on the ground with high temperatures in the 20s although these days its a coin toss because they are trending so much warmer.

"Awesome Forest and Park land" Both areas have those in spades.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 41,280 times
Boston has beans.

Also, I have done a very unscientific study and Boston is the most racist city in the US.

The OP should go back there if there aren't enough white folks in Denver to feel comfortable.

Maine is beautiful, though. I do agree on that one.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. McQuack View Post
Boston has beans.

Also, I have done a very unscientific study and Boston is the most racist city in the US.

The OP should go back there if there aren't enough white folks in Denver to feel comfortable.

Maine is beautiful, though. I do agree on that one.
Most of the eastern part of NH is very similar to Maine as well. Moosehead Lake is good if you can go further north in Maine.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
...there was no conversation deeper than talking about the Steelers...
Since Tebow's gone, I only have the Steelers.

Quote:
... the east coast "me me me" attitude.
Would you please explain that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
CO gets very dry powdery snow...
LOL. My guilty winter pleasure is watching newcomers try to build snowmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver