Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,345 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old single woman from NH. I am a college graduate with a degree in Psychology and am moving to denver in May. I have an apartment lined up on Blake Street (which i hope is good). If there is anything people can tell me about the location ill be living in, perhaps good places to apply for a job at (looking to work with children with mental illnesses/homeless shelters/other nonprofits) that would be great. Also, any advice on what to expect when I get out there- is it easy to meet people (where to) because I do like to go out and get beers (or more) and have heard people in Denver can be standoffish... Anything would be nice- Its a big move for me but Im getting excited. Thanks, the best to everyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
How will you be supporting yourself without a job?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSarah View Post
I am a 22 year old single woman from NH. I am a college graduate with a degree in Psychology and am moving to denver in May. I have an apartment lined up on Blake Street (which i hope is good). If there is anything people can tell me about the location ill be living in, perhaps good places to apply for a job at (looking to work with children with mental illnesses/homeless shelters/other nonprofits) that would be great. Also, any advice on what to expect when I get out there- is it easy to meet people (where to) because I do like to go out and get beers (or more) and have heard people in Denver can be standoffish... Anything would be nice- Its a big move for me but Im getting excited. Thanks, the best to everyone who responds.

Aw, don't worry about them being standoffish. After a few beers, everyone gets friendlier.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,345 times
I am trying to find a job prior to getting out there, I have look at coloradononprofits.org and on craigslist.org if I dont get a job I will pray I can get one quickly when I get out there.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSarah View Post
I am trying to find a job prior to getting out there, I have look at coloradononprofits.org and on craigslist.org if I dont get a job I will pray I can get one quickly when I get out there.
In that case, you'd better bring a suitcase full of cash.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,722,465 times
Sunshine Sarah:

Welcome to Denver! Actually, I think most Coloradoans are friendly. I've often heard that comment throughout the years. We are used to seeing transplants here and as long as they are friendly to me, I'm the same. I think often transplants come from big cities and are used to that standoffish kind of attitude, and they bring it with them here. Once you get here, I know you will be surprised.

As for jobs, do you have bartending/waitressing skills? Those jobs are aplenty. Do you know where on Blake you'll be? It's considered LoDo and there are a lot of trendy apts, bars, shops in that area. As far as homelessness and shelters, you will be close by those areas and might find work there. With that said, the apts. in Lodo are a bit pricey. If you have any office skills - you ought to apply now to the various temp firms in Denver. Stick with downtown firms. You might be able to line up work that way. I have a friend who did the same exact thing, and she moved from Jacksonville, FL.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM

93 posts, read 295,747 times
Hi Sarah.

I was in a similar situation as you, early 20's male, graduated from college last summer, and moved to Denver without a job. I saved about 3 grand to last me until I found a job, and live with my brother in a 2br apt. I also had a basic degree (sociology), with limited experience. So basically a recipe for disaster. I just pulled up my boots, and went for it. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life, but obviously this is just my experience, and I think somewhat lucky I found a job so soon. And Denver is not the only destination that would be worthwhile. I think temp agencies are a good place to start, they will give you about 40 hrs a week @ 12-14 an hour which is enough to start out on easy. If you want a nicer job, it will obviously be more difficult.

Blake st is pretty much downtown / lodo. in this general neighborhood you have massive buildings like you would imagine in a big city. lots of proffesional type people, TONS of bars, traffic, etc. Lodo is where all the frat and sorority members from CU Boulder venture to when not in school, so if that gives you a better idea of the area/nightlife... personally, it's not for me, but if you like that sort of thing then you might really like it. It is definitely a good clubbing/nightlife area. I think the best food has got to be downtown as well, so thats nice! There are some fantastic places to live in lodo, but i think they are more expensive as previously stated.

In terms of finding a job, depending on what street number you live off, you are fairly centrally located, which makes it easier to find a job. Most jobs will either be very very close to you downtown, or about a 25 min drive southeast to the Denver Tech Center. I know there is a place called Denver Options that is close to where I work now, its right on the border of Aurora/Denver. would probably be a 30 min commute from Blake/14th or so. I know of a few temp agencies that do a good job too, so send me a PM if you want their info.

There are a bunch of great areas to live in Denver, each with a very subtle yet distinct feeling to them, and each with it's pros and cons.

Meeting people is entirely up to the individual. If your like me - the shy quiet type - anywhere is a challenge to meet people, lol... but if your the social butterfly type, then I'm sure you'll do just fine in any city. The thing I really love about Denver is the diversity of people. you will meet all sorts of people, from all over, and I would like to think of myself as a mixture of all of them as well - I certainly don't fit into any one or two (or even three) stereotypical personality types. But everyone from what I have experienced is pretty nice!

Last edited by KottkeKU; 03-14-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM

27 posts, read 54,338 times
As far as meeting people you can try meetup.com , lots of groups for just about anything including beers.

Denver is alot different than New England in several ways (not in a bad way, I love it here). Being from somewhere else is not unusual and you'll meet several other transplants...it almost seems like CO natives are a rarity at least from my experience.

Also, blake street is where coors field is so if you like baseball that'll be a huge plus for your location.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,722,465 times
I'm a native!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
In that case, you'd better bring a suitcase full of cash.
Lighten up. Not everyone finds it so difficult to support her/himself in a new place. Boatloads arrived on our shores with pennies in their pockets and did just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver