Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM

323 posts, read 941,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Check out a website called "fermentedly challenged.com"

They have maps, reviews and special events.

How/where do you hire a DD?

At the moment Golden just has two, Golden City Brewery and Cannonball Creek Brewery.

Plus there is that other little one down by the creek.
Thanks! I'll have to check that site out.

Yeah I figure Golden should be a quick side trip. Yes Coors is basically domestic p!$$ water compared to everything else we will be drinking but we want to see it just to say that we did.

The DD service I found is BeMyDD: Designated, corporate and event drivers who drive your car safely and affordably They are set up in a few different cities so you have to type in the zip code to pull up Denver but they are there.

It seems like a really good deal. $16 an hour for their driver to drive YOUR CAR. So we are just renting a mini van at the airport and having them drive it. Much cheaper then some stretch limo crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Forget Coors. The tour is lame and the beer is the same you can get anywhere in the country.

In Denver, I would focus on breweries neighborhood by neighborhood-

RINO and North Denver have the highest concentration of breweries within a few blocks of each other-
Great Divide
River North
Our Mutual Friend
Black Shirt
Crooked Stave
Caution Brewery
You will also be close to Prost, Hogshead, Denver Beer Company and Wynkoop if you can stomach any more.

The next day, head south of downtown to-
Renegade
Strange Brewery
Wit's End
Colorado Cider Company
Breckenridge Brewery
Trve Brewery

For day 3, head even further south-
Bush and Bull
Copper Kettle
Dry Dock

Most of these breweries do not give formal "tours" but they will be happy to take you in back and show you around.

Boulder and Fort Collins have an amazing beer scene as well, but you can keep yourself plenty busy in Denver for 3 days.
Thanks for the info! I've been looking into visiting many of them that you listed. Friday we get in at 3:30 PM so our plan is to stay in Denver that night and try to catch as much as we can. I'm also hoping that when we get back into the city on Sat. night we'll try and hit some more too. This is going to be an endurance challenge! LOL I'm hoping that sticking mostly to smaller sampler glasses and maybe another pint at each will keep us from dropping like flies. LOL

Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,242,144 times
When are you coming out? Several of the local breweries have big patios that are great when the weather is sunny and warm, which it hasn't been much of lately. Also, depending on when you're here, if you want to do something else besides drink beer you can go to a Rockies or Nuggets game if they're in town (Nuggets are currently in the playoffs) or go on a hike nearby at Red Rocks or Lookout Mtn.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM

We'll be out there Next Friday the 26th. I think we'll mostly be drinking beer though! LOL Our intent is really to check out as many breweries as we can.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
You might look into some brew bus tours, as well. There are several companies that do brewery tours in Denver, Ft. Collins, Boulder, etc. If you have a big group, the rates are pretty affordable. The DD service you found seems good, but not sure how that would work legally with a rental car. You might make sure they are willing to drive a rental car first, since most rental car companies require the driver to be on the contract and in control of the vehicle at all times.

Here's a few to check out: CO Brewery Bus - Colorado Brewery Bus - About Our Tours
Banjo Billy

I will second skipping Coors. Go to Golden City Brewery though. They have excellent beer and if the weather is nice, it's an especially great place. You can take a picture of Coors from the streets in Golden and call it good. Then, head to Boulder that afternoon for food and tours of the breweries up there.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
If you want something small Lone Tree Brewery is pretty damn good. Bring your own food though because they only do beer.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
YThe DD service you found seems good, but not sure how that would work legally with a rental car. You might make sure they are willing to drive a rental car first, since most rental car companies require the driver to be on the contract and in control of the vehicle at all times.
I have talked to the DD company about using a rental car and they are okay with it. They said they have people book drivers for brewery tours like this often. They are actually going to fax me the drivers license and insurance info for the driver so we can add them to the rental car contract as an additional driver. They said they do this often. The bus tours you mentioned wouldn't be bad either but the per person cost for the driver is still cheaper then that too. I'd like to fit in more places if we can too, but maybe I'm still being a bit to optimistic for how much ground we'll cover too! I'd be happy if we can hit 6-8 on our side trips, and fill in some other ones in the Denver city limits at night too.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
I have talked to the DD company about using a rental car and they are okay with it. They said they have people book drivers for brewery tours like this often. They are actually going to fax me the drivers license and insurance info for the driver so we can add them to the rental car contract as an additional driver. They said they do this often. The bus tours you mentioned wouldn't be bad either but the per person cost for the driver is still cheaper then that too. I'd like to fit in more places if we can too, but maybe I'm still being a bit to optimistic for how much ground we'll cover too! I'd be happy if we can hit 6-8 on our side trips, and fill in some other ones in the Denver city limits at night too.
That's good that you looked into it and the company has done this before. It definitely seems like the way to go cost wise.

In Fort Collins, I would recommend New Belgium, Odell's, and The Fort Collins Brewery (which used to be called something else when I lived there years ago). For food, you might hit up Coopersmith's. They are a small time brewery and have really great food, or least did when I was there. It looks like there are several newer breweries as well.

If you do Fort Collins and Boulder in the same day (or better yet, plan a night in one of those cities) you could always stop at Left Hand Brewing and Oskar Blues (one of my favorite Pale Ale's in the country) in Longmont. I think it's a worthwhile addition to your N. Colorado brewery tour. In fact, I wouldn't spend much time in Golden and actually use the time between Ft. Collins, Boulder and Denver. You can always hit up the Golden City Brewery if you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver