Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,062,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes. I wouldn't have moved here otherwise..
You moved here because you like tornadoes? I'm not fond of them myself but some people like the excitement I guess.

2012 Colorado tornadoes = 33
2011 = 21
2010 = 71
2009 = 42
2008 = 39
etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
No I don't like tornadoes. Who really likes those???? Come on now

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No I don't like tornadoes. Who really likes those???? Come on now
lol! They're a lot of fun up until that point where you're killed

Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
Right!!

Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 119,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblond33 View Post
spring break was a month ago and there and still not a leave on any tree in denver. It may be hotter feeling in the south but it rains every week in summer there, so they get that relief. Last summer it was in 90's every day without a drop of rain either. Here in denver it's dry and hot at the same time. In the south everyone hangs out at a pool in summer here in denver most people can't even swim.

I will probably move also. It's more than temperature, it's also about how the trees and life in general is dormant 7-8 months of the year.

I lived in the south..Alabama to be exact and in the summer you do not get relief from rain or thunderstorms...Summers in the south are miserable due to the high humidity and constant temperatures in the low to mid 90's...After it rains it makes the atmosphere more steamy and humid and the temperatures do not drop significantly after passing thunderstorm..Nighttime lows are only in the mid 70's.

Denver's summers the last several years have been unusually hot.Normally this is not the case as it is normally cooler with more thunderstorms in the afternoon.

How long have you lived in Colorado ??

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Unless your an insomniac that doesn't help much. When you get home from work its still in the 80s and 90s here from 5 pm to 10 pm.

It is hot as hell here and it being dry does not help a bit. The only time the dry weather helps is in the winter. It makes it a little less bearable.....but it still sucks.

Miami beach is hot as hell in h summer but the humidity is dealt with by tens of thousands of vacationers. I can imagine a pasty white denver native not liking Miami while everyone else is having fun

Again...it is not normally hot in Denver..What you experienced last year was record breaking heat that we had.

For you to say that low humidity does not help is absurd...Low humidity is what makes Denver's climate in the
summer comfortable...The dry thinner air is the reason why it can be 90 in the sun but in the shade much cooler..it;s the reason temperatures fall 30 degrees on average in the evening..It's the reason why we don't have bugs attacking us in the summers months..

I lived in Alabama and the heat, humidity and bugs was just a miserable experience for me.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Denver is similar. Trust me, I was unemployed last summer. It stays in the 90s and is hot as hell until 11:30 at night for 4 full months from June to October. Mornings, I will admit, are heavenly here though.

This "dry heat is better" nonsense is just plain dumb.

Seattle and Chicago have much better summers than here and both those places are humid as hell.

Jeff..are you sure you have really lived in Denver ?? Hot as hell in October ?? I have lived in Denver for over 30 years and I can honestly say that Denver's summers are very comfortable..The low humidity, thinner air and afternoon thunderstorms makes our summer climate comfortable.

Yes Seattle does have very comfortable summer's in the 70's and 80's but this is not always a given as summers up there can be cool and wet especially in La Nina summers.

Chicago has very warm & humid summers with temperatures similar to southern states as they constantly get humid air masses from the Gulf of Mexico spreading north.. And there are alot of bugs!!

Bottom line is that it all depends on what your preference is..I love Denver's summers because I like the low humidity and the cool summer nights, the afternoon Thunderstorms that can drop temperatures 20-30 degrees after they pass and NO BUGS!!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,717 times
Quote:
Denver is similar. Trust me, I was unemployed last summer. It stays in the 90s and is hot as hell until 11:30 at night for 4 full months from June to October. Mornings, I will admit, are heavenly here though.

This "dry heat is better" nonsense is just plain dumb.

Seattle and Chicago have much better summers than here and both those places are humid as hell.

I grew up in Indiana, and found summers horrible. Loved Denver. . .though last year . Yep looking at Last august it was 80s most of the time, some 70s, and some 90s. Never broke 100. Low always in the 50s

Evenings were perfect

The dry does mean we loose 10 degrees when the temp goes down, leaving it pretty damn comfortable. Even on the hottest days

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,576,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Both of those places are greener than here. I lived in Las Cruces for almost five years and it is never as brown there as it gets here. Even in the dead of winter, there are still palm trees and cacti, pine trees and flowers. And sun. Lots and lots of sun.

As for the whole four seasons thing, again, it is personal preference. As you note, it does get cold there, as it is high desert, and it certainly does snow on occasion but rarely so much as to get in the way.
The leaves do change color, if a bit later, usually between Halloween and Thanksgiving, and spring, which often starts in late February, is absolutely gorgeous - cherry trees blooming, roses everywhere...

Four seasons enough for me.
I'm in El Paso right now so I had to revive this one. No way you could call this place more green than
Denver. Just no way. It is was also 103 degrees at 5:30pm when my flight landed. If that is the trade off for a more mild winter, you can keep it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
I heard it snowed today on Pikes Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver