Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times

Advertisements

From the Colorado Real Estate Commission:

Cybercriminals targeting home buyers and sellers nationwide

The Colorado Division of Real Estate at the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) warns Colorado consumers to beware of a national cyber-scam currently taking place that steals money directly from home buyers and sellers.

The Division continues to receive information about this cyber scam in which cybercriminals hack the email accounts of real estate brokers, title companies, and consumers who are in the process of buying or selling a home. In other instances, they create alternative email accounts with just minor changes to the name of the email account, which typically goes unnoticed by the recipient of the email.

“Unfortunately the costs to Colorado consumers can be in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars with just one successful scam,” stated Marcia Waters, Director of the Division of Real Estate. “Unless you pay very close attention, everything may look right -- the email signature, address, and the website. But, by the time homebuyers realize something is wrong, the money is already gone and in an untraceable bank account, leaving them at the closing table with no money and eliminating their ability to purchase the home.”

This past February, a Colorado seller lost over $80,000 from the sale of their property to one of these scams.

How do the scams work? Often the computer hackers monitor email exchanges between the parties of a real estate transaction and gain specific information, such as the buyer and seller names, subject property address and file numbers. As the closing date approaches and arrangements are made to wire the money to the closing company, or wire the proceeds from the sale of the house to the sellers, the scammer will send a last-minute email from a hijacked account or similar looking email address updating the wiring instructions to request the money be transferred into a fraudulent bank account. The email looks legitimate and often contains the transaction specific information the hackers obtained in the body of the email or as an attachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 10:45 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
From the Colorado Real Estate Commission:

Cybercriminals targeting home buyers and sellers nationwide

The Colorado Division of Real Estate at the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) warns Colorado consumers to beware of a national cyber-scam currently taking place that steals money directly from home buyers and sellers.

The Division continues to receive information about this cyber scam in which cybercriminals hack the email accounts of real estate brokers, title companies, and consumers who are in the process of buying or selling a home. In other instances, they create alternative email accounts with just minor changes to the name of the email account, which typically goes unnoticed by the recipient of the email.

“Unfortunately the costs to Colorado consumers can be in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars with just one successful scam,” stated Marcia Waters, Director of the Division of Real Estate. “Unless you pay very close attention, everything may look right -- the email signature, address, and the website. But, by the time homebuyers realize something is wrong, the money is already gone and in an untraceable bank account, leaving them at the closing table with no money and eliminating their ability to purchase the home.”

This past February, a Colorado seller lost over $80,000 from the sale of their property to one of these scams.

How do the scams work? Often the computer hackers monitor email exchanges between the parties of a real estate transaction and gain specific information, such as the buyer and seller names, subject property address and file numbers. As the closing date approaches and arrangements are made to wire the money to the closing company, or wire the proceeds from the sale of the house to the sellers, the scammer will send a last-minute email from a hijacked account or similar looking email address updating the wiring instructions to request the money be transferred into a fraudulent bank account. The email looks legitimate and often contains the transaction specific information the hackers obtained in the body of the email or as an attachment.
As a technology professional, email is an insecure and dead protocol.

Real estate transactions really should stop using it altogether and move to more secure technologies. Even text is more secure.

Ideally a brokerage should have a secure area of their website at least where messages and documents can be exchanged.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
As a technology professional, email is an insecure and dead protocol.

Real estate transactions really should stop using it altogether and move to more secure technologies. Even text is more secure.

Ideally a brokerage should have a secure area of their website at least where messages and documents can be exchanged.
Real estate is an email heavy process. You need to review and sign contracts & disclosures. Review inspection reports. Upload financial docs to the lender via a secure portal.

No one will agree to sign a 17-page purchase contract via text message.

And I repeat myself, do not ever accept wire instructions via email. Always confirm by calling the title company to verify.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
I just went through a real estate transaction. We had a portal for documents and encrypted emails for just about everything else.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:11 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Consider reading this blog by one of our regular posters and also the comments for some info on Colorado.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:40 AM

824 posts, read 704,675 times
dont confuse the transport with content
transport:
if your party never gets the doucment you still failed. So text or email all good.
content:
heavly encrypt the doucments you send.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 11,907 times
Default 14

#14..I’d always thought I’d experienced thunderstorms being from out East..but when I happened to be visiting my Aunt in Denver inMay of 2017, I experienced the worst storm I’ve ever encountered in my life..Returning to Denver from Arvada as the hail storm was beginning..seeing a pitch black sky for the first time ever..the weather radar was hot pink..being trapped inside a car while being assaulted by murderous ice balls..yes, the thunderstorms are a thing..

Old 03-08-2024, 10:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 364,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoptheridegonnahurl View Post
#14..I’d always thought I’d experienced thunderstorms being from out East..but when I happened to be visiting my Aunt in Denver inMay of 2017, I experienced the worst storm I’ve ever encountered in my life..Returning to Denver from Arvada as the hail storm was beginning..seeing a pitch black sky for the first time ever..the weather radar was hot pink..being trapped inside a car while being assaulted by murderous ice balls..yes, the thunderstorms are a thing..
I grew up in Colorado, TERRIBLE THUNDERSTORMS!
Especially on the eastern plains..
Been scared of them all my life.
I’m Now on the east coast but my feelings for them have not changed….

And the wind ….is the **only thing I **don’t miss about Colorado.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:25 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz88 View Post
I grew up in Colorado, TERRIBLE THUNDERSTORMS!
Especially on the eastern plains..
Been scared of them all my life.
I’m Now on the east coast but my feelings for them have not changed….

And the wind ….is the **only thing I **don’t miss about Colorado.
Ever been to Wyoming?

Old 03-09-2024, 11:01 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoptheridegonnahurl View Post
I've seen a few severe thunderstorms in the East, but I've rarely seen hail. I just doesn't happen here often.

"And wind gusts in parts of the region have gotten close to or above hurricane strength (74 mph).

Trescott, Maine, reported a wind gust of 93 mph, just shy of winds in a Category 2 hurricane.

The Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, Massachusetts, reported a top wind gust of 90 mph on Monday morning. That’s just shy of the highest December wind gust on record, which was 95 mph on Dec. 29, 1966. ..."

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-n...east-southeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver