Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM

123 posts, read 180,313 times

Advertisements

I was the the green arrow and the red arrow was some guy making a u-turn.
It was green for him. There were cars before him making just left turn. I stopped at the red light and then made the right turn. I stayed in the right most lane. He made a u-turn and crossed two lanes to come to my lane (honking at me). I think he was supposed to change lanes gradually and not just to cross two lanes to come into my lane. We both stopped on time to avoid collision. Any comments? Is u-turn allowed at traffic lights?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6286 View Post

I was the the green arrow and the red arrow was some guy making a u-turn.
It was green for him. There were cars before him making just left turn. I stopped at the red light and then made the right turn. I stayed in the right most lane. He made a u-turn and crossed two lanes to come to my lane (honking at me). I think he was supposed to change lanes gradually and not just to cross two lanes to come into my lane. We both stopped on time to avoid collision. Any comments? Is u-turn allowed at traffic lights?

Thanks!
He had the green light, you had a red light. He had the right away, you should have yielded to him.

Quote:
Steady Red Light: STOP until a green light appears. After stopping and yielding to pedestrians and other traffic, and if not prohibited by a traffic sign, you may turn right while the light is red. Also, you may turn left on a red light if you are turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street, unless prohibited by a sign.
Page 16

Last edited by KaaBoom; 07-09-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM

20 posts, read 30,126 times
U-turns are illegal in the city of Denver. I don't know about other municipalities, but generally I'd think it's not legal unless it's marked.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 PM

20 posts, read 30,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
He had the green light, you had a red light. He had the right away, you should have yielded to him.
I've never heard of a U-turner having the right of way. When turning, you're supposed to turn into the lane nearest you, not scoot across and go to the far lane like this guy did, also. Sounds illegal as heck to me.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DenverNative_ View Post
I've never heard of a U-turner having the right of way. When turning, you're supposed to turn into the lane nearest you, not scoot across and go to the far lane like this guy did, also. Sounds illegal as heck to me.
You did not yield to traffic. You should have received a ticket for it. A green light gives him right away.

Quote:
Steady Red Light: STOP until a green light appears. After stopping and yielding to pedestrians and other traffic, and if not prohibited by a traffic sign, you may turn right while the light is red. Also, you may turn left on a red light if you are turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street, unless prohibited by a sign.
Colorado Driver Handbook - Page 16

Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
U turns generally go across all the lanes of traffic, depending on the turning radius of the vehicle. The person with the green light had the right of way. You did not.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You did not yield to traffic. You should have received a ticket for it. A green light gives him right away.
There was no traffic - I was not in the way of people making left turn. I was making the right turn when he made the u-turn.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
There was no traffic - I was not in the way of people making left turn. I was making the right turn when he made the u-turn.
You were in the way of people making U-Turns. He had a right to do that. You didn't have the right to do what you did. Thats why he beeped at you.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
U turns generally go across all the lanes of traffic, depending on the turning radius of the vehicle. The person with the green light had the right of way. You did not.
"Complete your turn in the lane closest to you on your side of the street." This is page 22 of the driver handbook. It was a regular sedan - definitely there was no need to cut all these lanes.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
"Complete your turn in the lane closest to you on your side of the street." This is page 22 of the driver handbook. It was a regular sedan - definitely there was no need to cut all these lanes.
OK, thats not relevant, but thanks anyway. Lets get back to what you did wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmNgCG7zVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver