Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

I am from Pennsylvania too, and I agree with p. a. girl. We were there last June; it looked like a tropical rain forest. Even Illinois looks that way when we go there. You kind of forget how green it is in places where it actually rains a lot. But yeah, been here almost 28 yrs, I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,442 times
yo man i'd go denver i lived in richmonad, va (was born there) and also in alexandria, va just outside of DC and it is so crammed it feels to close for comfort i'll take the wild west 10 times outta 10 over dc

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 AM

23 posts, read 107,042 times
Grew up in DC, and went to college in Boulder

DC traffic sucks royally. I don't know that there's much that can compete with it. Maybe LA or Dallas? However, if you choose to live without a car, DC has a much more extensive transit system. Thats not to say Denver's traffic is perfect, or that its public transit sucks (I was able to get from Boulder to Colo Springs just with my bus pass), but both pale in comparrison to DC.

Both have similar temperature extremes (Denver is a little colder in Winter). In my opinion, the weather in DC is far more... annoying.... You get steam cooked in summer, crash your car in an ice storm in winter, and get rained on incessantly the rest of the time. Denver's weather is a little more chaotic (Snow in May, 70's in December, Twisters and thundersnow, etc, etc), but thats only short term annoyance.

DC, better seafood
Denver, Better Skiing

Denver, one or two crappy neighborhoods, but nothing tooo bad
DC... try driving through southeast in the middle of the night and see how far you get before being carjacked (tho I gather the whole city is improving dramatically).

My verdict: Move to Seattle ;-D

Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,767 times
one thing to keep in mind about DenverAztec's pictures... these are isolated sections with trees and they are the exception, not the norm. the vast majority of the landscape around denver looks like this:

Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM

between denver and dc, i would choose DC in a heartbeat. my wife lived there a few years ago and likes the area, too. however, she and i would have to sell our homes, get jobs, and find a way to afford living there. this is why we still live in colorado.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
one thing to keep in mind about DenverAztec's pictures... these are isolated sections with trees and they are the exception, not the norm. the vast majority of the landscape around denver looks like this:

As much as I love the green out east (I have family in PA and VA, as well), I would rather have a view of the mountain ranges (from anywhere in the Denver area) than only be able to see a few hundred feet of thick greenery.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
one thing to keep in mind about DenverAztec's pictures... these are isolated sections with trees and they are the exception, not the norm. the vast majority of the landscape around denver looks like this...
True .gif, only the established older Denver neighborhoods have all the trees. The suburbs have some significant catching up to do. However, NickMan7 brings up a great point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
As much as I love the green out east (I have family in PA and VA, as well), I would rather have a view of the mountain ranges (from anywhere in the Denver area) than only be able to see a few hundred feet of thick greenery.
This could be why I subconsciously live in a condo 8 floors up. Trees and a mountain view!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
However, NickMan7 brings up a great point.
it's only a good point if you agree with it. this is all personal preference. maybe since i grew up in the east, it feels more comfortable to me. i think the great smoky mountains are more majestic than the rockies. the mountain views are nice out here, but to me the landscape out east is much more beautiful. i can see how someone else would have the opposite view. i get the impression that the original poster is someone whose preference might be closer to mine.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
I am a native of the Metropolitan Washington, DC area, born and raised in Prince George's County, Maryland, the county right next to Washington, DC. Lived most of my life there, about 60 years, about 2 1/2 years ago I found a place up here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and I get back to the DC area about two maybe three times a year and every time I get back there it seems as though the traffic is getting to be very horrendous, the Capital Beltway, which is 64 miles around, at one time used to be able to travel around it in just a little over an hour, now however, it takes an hour to go from one exit to the next and if you're not doing over 80mph you're liable to get run over and the road rage is phenomenal. Now with all that aside, Washington, DC is a very beautiful city, there are areas that are very trendy, Adams Morgan area, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, these are all the areas that the young professionals like and believe it or not they're very safe. Outside a Washington, DC in Maryland there are a lot of areas that are ideal for outdoors people, Western Maryland has its camping, hiking, lakes,and mountainous areas, eastern part of Maryland towards the Chesapeake Bay has some very beautiful areas also for boating, fishing and some of the best seafood in the world can be found in this area, the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, known as Eastern Shore, there are some real fine areas out there also, and then you have Ocean City, which is another world altogether, however if I had a choice between the two places that you're talking about I would probably choose Denver, because Maryland and the DC area are getting awful expensive to live in, that's why I bought this place up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, but still close enough to my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver