Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. By 2060, it will be illegal for humans to drive in the USA.
2. Your car insurance will go thru the roof and you will forced into semi-automated cars much earlier.
Have a nice day.
Good luck with that, you sure love big government. If you had your way, you'd like to take the right away to own a firearm from everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 01:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I moved here about 9 years go.

Like:
* the weather
* the western suburbs and scenery
* outdoor opportunities right at my doorstep
* size of the metro area; still small, but still a lot to do

Dislike:
* people who want to make Colorado more like California in terms of government and taxes
* marijuana culture and the fact that laws related to it aren't enforced
* the caucus system for primaries

Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 PM

33 posts, read 68,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
If someone actually things Denver is congested with a lot of traffic....they have never been to any of the top 25 major cities and have lived in a bubble.
😂😂😂😂.. Come drive along the 495, BQE, or Grand Central around rush hour if you think Denver is congested.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So you're going to discourage driving and giving up more freedom for the sake of more government policy on dictating how to use land with more building codes? Cost of living is already above national average living in Denver compared to other metropolitan areas, and you want to make it more expensive? Give me a break dude.
I always find it laughable that libertarians can be such proponents of our highway system. Denver neighborhoods were developed around streetcars that were built and operated by private companies. When the government started pouring billions into the highway network, the streetcars couldn't compete and were no longer an economically viable business. Massive government highway projects cutting through our urban neighborhoods and encouraging suburban flight is the definition of social engineering. True libertarians should oppose such boondoggles.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I always find it laughable that libertarians can be such proponents of our highway system. Denver neighborhoods were developed around streetcars that were built and operated by private companies. When the government started pouring billions into the highway network, the streetcars couldn't compete and were no longer an economically viable business. Massive government highway projects cutting through our urban neighborhoods and encouraging suburban flight is the definition of social engineering. True libertarians should oppose such boondoggles.
Good luck winning hearts and minds with that argument. I'm no libertarian, but most people (and industry) consider a our highway system a huge success. There are far worse things we can do with our tax dollars.

However, I do empathize with your frustration of those who view additional roads as a silver bullet solution to urban congestion.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
That is insane. Building wider highways just encourages more people to drive and quickly fills up the capacity (exactly what has happened in L.A. over the past 50 years). The only way to improve congestion in the long run is to have land use policies that encourage shorter commutes, highway tolls that reflect the true cost of highway maintenance and viable alternatives for people who want to take other modes of transportation.

For someone who doesn't want government in the business of cleaning up toxic waste, do you really want them spending hundred of billions building highways (maybe we could have volunteer crews widening I-70)?

Sorry to get so off topic, but this really burns me up.
The reason freeways fill back up after widening them in Denver (Or LA) is because so many people are moving here. You have to at least try and keep up with the fast-rising population.

Go to a city like Kansas City or Oklahoma City. They've widened freeways in the past, but traffic is still a breeze because people aren't moving to those cities in droves.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Liberty View Post
move to AZ. We need more people like you here. I just moved here after spending the majority of my life in Colorado.
And, we thank you for moving.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:09 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Libertarians are not one giant united group. An-Caps aren't friends of highways as they would support privatized roads... monarchists can find an argument to add anything, however, to their list of "minimum necessary government services."

Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Not exactly! People bought cars, and cars allowed one to travel on one's own schedule. No wonder people liked them. Public transit ridership decreased.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Let freedom ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not exactly! People bought cars, and cars allowed one to travel on one's own schedule. No wonder people liked them. Public transit ridership decreased.
And, autonomous cars will obliterate RTD.
2070 is the last year of RTD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver