Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

This may help clarify "Englewood".
https://www.zip-codes.com/city/co-englewood.asp

The downtown of City of Englewood is at the intersection of US 285 and blue/red boundary.
Your work location is way at the bottom.
Notice that Lone Tree is not "in" Englewood, but is "in" Littleton. And, nowhere near downtown Littleton.
In this part of the country the ZIP codes are huge because in 1880 there was one mailbox per square mile near your work location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:32 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2DenverLady View Post
Thank you Sky! The link was super useful, it'd be less than a 6min bike ride with good weather; not too shabby. There's also a ton of info on other options like the train, parking, and schedules so I'll make use of that and do some homework for sure! The links have been tremendously helpful guys. Can anyone recommend additional areas I should include in my search. I've heard a few people mention Parker, what are your thoughts on that area compared to Centennial and Lone Tree. Another concern I had was my commute out of the DTC. If I chose a place within such a heavy business district, would I have issues commuting out in the morning on days a walk or biker ride aren't realistic? Would you recommend living in Englewood?
There are a lot of apartments close to that work address (Meridian). Either further into Inverness, along Dry Creek, close to the light rail station, Ridgegate, out Lincoln east towards Parker. Lots of apartments in Parker proper, but that's close to outer suburbia and unless you really want that family vibe, I'd go in another direction. The Oswego address is on the southeast fringe of the high-tech area, so things are a little further apart there, not so walkable. If you want to be close to things, I'd look for something a little further west or northwest instead of east. How about a short-term lease for something close to work to give you time to know the area. This is very close to a great suburban shopping area so you won't have to go far for restaurants, etc.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:10 PM

214 posts, read 260,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2DenverLady View Post
I am considering a move to Metro Denver ASAP. I have been overwhelmingly surprised by the cost of living!!! Y'all need to stop it with these prices. I currently live in a suburb about 30 minutes from downtown Chicago with great schools, safe neighborhoods and activities. For what I pay for a 3,100sq ft, 5/3 home... it looks like I'll be getting a 2/2 condo or apt. I've actually accepted that. The big house in the suburbs is getting a bit old anyway. I've made a few trips to Denver recently and had my eyes set on DTC, (is this also considered Centennial?). I really can't even say why I like DTC. I stayed in a pretty quiet, fairly new area during my stay and even made use of the light rail which impressively did not smell of pee. DTC seemed relatively close to downtown but felt a little more like home to me. A place you could relax on your patio without a ton of foot traffic unlike the feel I got from the Highlands and lower downtown. Which I like, but may be a little too trendy for me.

Some things that may help you guys help me. I would be working in Englewood and I do have a desire to live a community that is safe. I have a car, but like the option of using public transportation so I'd like an area that offers accessibility to the light rail or similar options perhaps unknown. I do not do that 420 thing. I have yet to finalize a salary but, I hope to find an apartment between 1200.00 -1600.00/month. Does anyone recommend any apartment hunting apps or services? Any feedback or recommendations about anything helpful would be appreciated greatly. Thanks everyone!
Regarding cost... home prices are shockingly high with respect to Chicago, but property taxes are shockingly low. Keep that in mind when looking at home prices. Also keep in mind that the number of homes for sale has been trending downward year over year. If you wait to buy a home like I did you might end up getting priced out completely like I did.

Regarding crime... keep in mind that you are moving here from Chicago. Chicago has actual bad neighborhoods.... In Denver a bad neighborhood means your car might get broken into... That's about as bad as it gets. The general rule I use is if people have their gas grills, lawn furniture, etc sitting outside the neighborhood can't be that bad.

When looking for an apartment you can't really count on the prices advertised on Craigslist or any apartment websites. Until you have a lease in front of you that's ready to be signed you can't be very certain what the monthly cost is going to be or if an apartment is going to be available. I suggest just searching on Craigslist using the map view to find apartment complex locations then flying out and going from lease office to lease office to get prices. My rent has gone up ~10% per year, you might want to take potential future price hikes into consideration when choosing an apartment.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
RTD offers a door to light rail service called call-n-ride RTD that will pick you up at the station and deliver you to your door.

Draw a shape from Hampden to Lincoln & Holly to Potomac - see what is there.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This may help clarify "Englewood".
https://www.zip-codes.com/city/co-englewood.asp

The downtown of City of Englewood is at the intersection of US 285 and blue/red boundary.
Your work location is way at the bottom.
Notice that Lone Tree is not "in" Englewood, but is "in" Littleton. And, nowhere near downtown Littleton.
In this part of the country the ZIP codes are huge because in 1880 there was one mailbox per square mile near your work location.
Dave, I noticed that you put parenthesis around the word "in" when saying that Lone Tree is in Littleton. I hope that you know that Lone Tree is not in the city limits of the City of Littleton. Actually that map you posted is a little confusing because it shows certain zip codes but doesn't show city limit boundaries.

See, OP, this stuff is confusing even for people who have lived here a while!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Lone Tree is in a Littleton ZIP code.
My whole point is that postal addresses are worthless for determining geographic/political location.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 8,701 times
LOL, I'll keep this in mind as continue apt hunting. Zip codes are misleading and determining exactly where I am based on that alone will make me confused and crazy. Thanks Dave lol. Georges, it's good to know there are a lot of options near my work location, that may be my best option immediately. I do kind of like the idea of a short term lease as it would afford an opportunity to get a feel of the neighborhoods in both winter and late spring. I just hope I don't get taken as a consequence of my indecisiveness. Apartment complexes don't usually offer incentives on short term leases. But I'll try and work some magic. Also pointing out that I'll fair better in the West/Northwest region is really good information. I'll take Parker off my list. I'm hoping to streamline my life and take advantage of local restaurants and businesses that are easily accessible.
2binDenver...omg...what! You're telling me that essentially RTD will come to my home. That's pretty amazing. Can't beat that. Very good to know. When I decide where I'll reside I will certainly try the circle thingie lol. DirtyMill...I hope I'm not coming off paranoid, but questions about safety from the Midwest are like southerners asking about the nearest Piggly Wiggly. You've helped calm my fears and make a good point re taxes. and DOH..thanks for your post. I consider myself unlike the stereotypical woman as I have a great sense of direction so knowing just how complex these areas can be, saves a few points on the hit to my self esteem. I've gotten some really good insight so far guys, thanks sooo much. Anything anyone can think of or wants to post, feel free. There's a lot I probably don't even know to ask.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 AM

72 posts, read 81,695 times
Hello Chi2DenverLady,
I love Denver too but if you won't be able to find what you are looking for in Denver area please do come to Boise, ID It's like mini Denver (smaller, less expensive, has lots of trees, beautiful river, green belt for biking/walking, super clean and safe.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,707 times
I live in the 80112 area of "Englewood," which I think might be the neighborhood you're talking about? I generally say I live "close to DTC" when people ask. I think it's a good area, although certainly expensive like you said. Of course it's not downtown, but it's fairly built up for a suburb. There are several bars and restaurants within walking distance (and TONS more within a small drive), anything you need (groceries, etc.) is super close, and I always feel really safe here. I live within walking distance to the Dry Creek light rail station. I don't take it to work (no station close to my work location), but I do take it if I'm going downtown. Especially if you end up living fairly close to work, I think it would be far easier to just drive, IMO. I actually work in the "real" Englewood, which is about 20 minutes away and even if I could take light rail there I don't think I'd want to mess with it on a regular basis. The trains don't come very often (every 30 minutes in peak times) and IME it tends to be much slower than just driving. I take it downtown if I'm going to be drinking, and I like that I can walk to it and that it's much, much cheaper than taking an Uber, but it does take a long time. By the time I walk to the station, take it all the way downtown, and then walk to my final destination I'm usually looking at over an hour for what would be a 20 minute drive. Then when I'm coming home, it's usually even longer because it's hard to time showing up at the station at the exact right time without getting stuck waiting for 30 more minutes (or even an hour, if it's late on weekdays). I couldn't believe it when I was staying in Boston last summer and the trains were coming every 3 minutes or so and covered a much wider area. It was so nice! I know RTD is expanding but I think they could do a lot better.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
The short answer is "no" but the moon is hanging down like a metal ball and the circus is in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver