Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden2017 View Post
Do I need winter tires for my car in Denver? I drive an 07 Mazda 3 with a manual transmission and brand new all-seasons. GF definitely wants winter tires on her AWD crossover since it will make her feel much safer. We will use her vehicle for our days in the mountains. As for me, though I grew up in Florida and have driven in snow only a few times, I consider myself safe and confident on the roads, leaving excess space between cars even in good road conditions. I also plan on taking a course in winter driving. I will need my car about 4-5 days a week. Are winter tires with steel wheels worth $500-600ish. Do I have an advantage with a stick shift? I know the tricks like starting in 2nd gear for more traction and engine braking on hills. If you can't tell, I'm hoping for a "no" but please be honest!
From a cost standpoint, they aren't much more expensive. Having a second set of tires that you use half the year means that you summer tires will last twice as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden2017 View Post
Do I need winter tires for my car in Denver? I drive an 07 Mazda 3 with a manual transmission and brand new all-seasons. GF definitely wants winter tires on her AWD crossover since it will make her feel much safer. We will use her vehicle for our days in the mountains. As for me, though I grew up in Florida and have driven in snow only a few times, I consider myself safe and confident on the roads, leaving excess space between cars even in good road conditions. I also plan on taking a course in winter driving. I will need my car about 4-5 days a week. Are winter tires with steel wheels worth $500-600ish. Do I have an advantage with a stick shift? I know the tricks like starting in 2nd gear for more traction and engine braking on hills. If you can't tell, I'm hoping for a "no" but please be honest!
Unless you're planning on trekking to the foothills or mountains on a regular basis (and that includes I-25 over Monument Hill) all season tires will be just fine 99% of the time.

My car has a paltry 6.5" of ground clearance so if we get more than about 4" of snow I just stay home, and I've never put winter tires on it - mostly because it's so low to the ground.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 69,586 times
Max performance summer only FTW year round!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITNerd View Post
Max performance summer only FTW year round!
Will never forget the fall I waited a little too long to swap the tires on my Audi S4 and drove through a snow storm with summer performance tires. Terrifying!!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM

64 posts, read 69,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Will never forget the fall I waited a little too long to swap the tires on my Audi S4 and drove through a snow storm with summer performance tires. Terrifying!!
I normally take mine off when the weather stays below 60 during the day. The pucker factor increases exponentially when these tires decide to harden up.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:06 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Snow tires will be best on a non awd vehicle.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Default best answer

Quote:
Thanks! I think of all the videos, this one that I found from the U.K. might be the best illustration of the traction difference while driving up a hill. It compares the same make vehicle, one in the FWD version and one in the AWD version, with Summer and winter tires on each.

The contrast is stark.

Up a steep hill, the distances achieved are as follows:

FWD with Summer tires: 7 meters traveled
AWD with Summer tires: 13 meters
FWD with Winter tires: 110 meters
AWD with Winter tires: 136 meters (course completed)

https://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA
This one is the best answer. Take a few minutes to watch it.

Winter tires beat AWD alone by a wide margin.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
I agree that video is very revealing in regards to UHP summer tires, but I think we actually see a middle ground around here more often and that is AWD with all season tires.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I agree that video is very revealing in regards to UHP summer tires, but I think we actually see a middle ground around here more often and that is AWD with all season tires.
While there is no doubt that an all season is better than a Summer tire in snow, and I would have liked to have seen them do this with all seasons too, there are plenty of other links in this thread showing how much better winter tires are than all seasons.

I should also add that many people run their all seasons far too long because they don't want to shell out the cash for new tires. Bald all seasons are going to very comparable to the summer tires you see in that video.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,618 times
Quote:
While there is no doubt that an all season is better than a Summer tire in snow, and I would have liked to have seen them do this with all seasons too, there are plenty of other links in this thread showing how much better winter tires are than all seasons.

I should also add that many people run their all seasons far too long because they don't want to shell out the cash for new tires. Bald all seasons are going to very comparable to the summer tires you see in that video.
I'd also like to point out that chains > anything in true adverse conditions. I've passed some struggling 4WD trucks/SUVs in some rural areas with my FWD and chains with all-seasons. I'd bet that you throw chains on the FWD with summer tires in that video and it makes it up top.

Yes, chains are a PITA to put on and can't be worn on asphalt, but I'd take chains any day in back country rural roads in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver