Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
yup, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is the absolute best winter tire..... period, but a bit expensive

The Blizzaks are very good but for the same money you could have the Michelin X-Ice 3, slightly higher rated winter tire
I run X-Ice 3s on my Honda HRV and even though we haven't had much snow this winter, when I was driving in snow, these things were great! I bought them off tirerack with steelies and picked them up at their warehouse east of Denver. The total out the door price was 665. Of course, here in a few weeks, I will be putting the all season wheels/tires back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Is this true across all brands? I know at one point in time, Nokian had a warehouse in northern New England where their Hakkapeliitta's were being studded as needed. This was probably 15 years ago.

I may have an unstudded one as a spare where I can check to see if the stud holes are in there.

FWIW, great thread. I'm going to use it next year when the CT guys argue over "snows or not"

Not sure how old that spare is. Tires cannot be serviced over 10 years old. Also, you cannot stud a tire once it's touched the ground. It has to be completely brand new

Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not sure how old that spare is. Tires cannot be serviced over 10 years old. Also, you cannot stud a tire once it's touched the ground. It has to be completely brand new
Yes, I know. I'm not trying to stud a tire. Just pointing out that some do not have a studded vs unstudded rubber compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No. Some studded tire use the softer rubbers, but I have seen some of the cheaper brands don't. Nokian uses great rubber.
Hands down, best tires ever. I went to Firestones for my last set as I couldn't get my 13" size in the Hakkas anymore and really regret it. Looks like I'm stuck going to 14s unless they've done a size change since then.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Yes, I know. I'm not trying to stud a tire. Just pointing out that some do not have a studded vs unstudded rubber compound.

Hands down, best tires ever. I went to Firestones for my last set as I couldn't get my 13" size in the Hakkas anymore and really regret it. Looks like I'm stuck going to 14s unless they've done a size change since then.
I've owned Nokians, Michelins, Blizzaks, and Goodyears. I have been putting Blizzaks on our cars recently and been very happy with them. Nokians were great as well. The only ones I felt were questionable compared to everything else I owned were the Goodyears.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 27,426 times
Bump.
Is there a consensus here if winter tires are worth it or not? My wife and I are moving to Denver in a week and a half. We will be sharing a car for the time-being. We both can work from home, but will be going to and from DIA about 2-3 times a month. We do ski, but this year since we'll be brand new to the city, and on a tighter budget, I can only see 1-2 ski trips for us this year.

Our friends that live there are pretty evenly split about whether we need them. We do have an AWD car, but my worry is when my wife, who has no experience driving in the snow, has pick me up from the airport late at night, or is alone with the dogs and is forced to drive for whatever the reason during/after a snow storm.

I'm leaning towards buying a set and having them installed late November, but wanted to see what you guys think?

Old 10-20-2017, 03:18 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanerdawg View Post
Bump.
Is there a consensus here if winter tires are worth it or not? My wife and I are moving to Denver in a week and a half. We will be sharing a car for the time-being. We both can work from home, but will be going to and from DIA about 2-3 times a month. We do ski, but this year since we'll be brand new to the city, and on a tighter budget, I can only see 1-2 ski trips for us this year.

Our friends that live there are pretty evenly split about whether we need them. We do have an AWD car, but my worry is when my wife, who has no experience driving in the snow, has pick me up from the airport late at night, or is alone with the dogs and is forced to drive for whatever the reason during/after a snow storm.

I'm leaning towards buying a set and having them installed late November, but wanted to see what you guys think?
My position on this is well documented. I don’t know anyone who has felt like they have made a mistake putting winter tires on. I do know people who wish they had.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:54 PM

384 posts, read 376,878 times
Be careful of black ice. I had a rollover wreck in Kit Carson on i70 nearly two years ago mid December . I now know why they call it black ice , I thought it was the wind. Your wife needs to be extra careful if she has no experience driving in the snow .

Old 10-20-2017, 04:15 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My position on this is well documented. I don’t know anyone who has felt like they have made a mistake putting winter tires on. I do know people who wish they had.
This right here. I've seen many a Subaru in the ditch during bad weather.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:49 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,485 times
Is your peace of mind worth the $800 - $1,000 that winter tires and alloy or steel wheels will cost?

Watch some of the videos online ... Tire Rack has some and there are others, that show the difference in stopping and cornering with all season ("no season") tires versus Winter tires.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
If you want extra peace of mind-throw an inexpensive pair of snows on your vehicle. Just tell your wife to watch her stopping distances either way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver