Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanerdawg View Post
Thanks for the advice. Ended up ordering the Michelin x-ice. Install scheduled for the 18th.
You’ll be glad. AWD doesn’t help you stop.

Welcome to Denver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanerdawg View Post
Thanks for the advice. Ended up ordering the Michelin x-ice. Install scheduled for the 18th.
Good. Make sure you rotate them every 3-5k and they are the only snow tire with tread life warranty-40k. So again make sure you are rotating them 3-5k and they are wearing evenly (check alignment). Once they are bald-Michelin will prorate you into another set.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 AM

824 posts, read 705,784 times
if you plan a separate set of snow tires buy new or used steal wheels and mount the new snow tires on them.

If your buff; come next winter drag the set out and install them your self. Spring time store the set in the garage for the summer

Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The key to Winter Tires is to make sure they are installed prior to the first snow storm!

Last year, I prevailed upon my daughter to get them installed. (a set of Blizzaks sitting in my garage)

She hesitated. The storm hit. She spun out on ice. She dented her car.

I used to buy the tires mounted on steel wheels from tirerack.com. That makes them easy to swap on your own terms. However, with the addition to TPMS (tire pressure measurement system) on all cars, the need for additional sensors makes that solution costly.

However, it makes the swap easy: Just do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
if you plan a separate set of snow tires buy new or used steal wheels and mount the new snow tires on them.

If your buff; come next winter drag the set out and install them your self. Spring time store the set in the garage for the summer
..... TPMS can add to the cost of that method these days.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
..... TPMS can add to the cost of that method these days.
get some rusted wheels from car-parts.com and skip the TPMS thingy, over rated with the invention of tubeless tires

four wheel drive?
the front axle turns a tiny bit faster than the rear. keeps forward motion stable but not by much.

ice
Stopping on ice is difficult, maybe impossible. Drive slow, drive a little slower than the peeps ahead of you. If you see them get into trouble you have some warning.

rule of thumb is if you cant walk on with out slipping and falling you might consider NOT driving and take a bus. RTD has better lawyers immediately on staff.

Last edited by daprara; 10-22-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Default AWD Doesn't Matter - Your Tires Do

IMO, AWD and/or 4WD do indeed make a difference. I've been in conditions where regardless of the tires, 2WD would not have made it.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:08 PM

only dwn side of 4x4 / all wheel dives is:
-lower gas mileage
-increased vehicle weight
-increased complexity ( tech sux )

Old 10-22-2017, 12:15 PM

26,426 posts, read 46,591,155 times
AWD has far better fuel economy than 4WD in some cases. Subaru's system is good for fuel efficiency.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
We moved from sunny California to snowy SW Wyoming last year at the very end of November. I have a Honda Civic, and I had never driven on snow before in my entire 38 years of life. I was anxious and unsure if I should sell my Civic for a Subaru, but I was told that I could get buy just fine with my 2 wheel drive Civic and a good set of snow tires.

I bought some Blizzaks and had them put them on the civic, and I had zero issues driving in the snow and we had over 230 inches of snow over the winter. I didn't get stuck, I didn't slide into the bank, I did crash into anything. In fact my husband only had all weather tires on his truck and he made a left turn right into the snow bank, I told him to get some Blizzaks on that truck and he listened and he was slide free since then.

The key is a good snow tires and being smart about accelerating and keeping your speed slow. If this California native can get the hang of it, your wife should be just fine.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
get some rusted wheels from car-parts.com and skip the TPMS thingy, over rated with the invention of tubeless tires
Not sure I follow why you would think TPMS are overrated. I like knowing if my tires are 5 pounds lower than full. It could be the sign of a slow leak. Much better than finding out you have a nail when your tire blows out on the highway at 75 mph.

Also, your method above leaves a warning light on the dash. Very annoying.

Quote:
only dwn side of 4x4 / all wheel dives is:
-lower gas mileage
-increased vehicle weight
-increased complexity ( tech sux )
What sucks about AWD tech?

The downside I see for AWD in the winter is if you do not have proper tires, your ability to accelerate can far outweigh your ability to stop and that’s a big problem.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-22-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver