Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 01:42 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
$1200 for skis? No sale shopping for you!
Is there still the annual SNIAGRAB sale on SKI stuff?

IIRC, one may save enough to buy one Blizzak each year...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-07-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I know you can't factor all recreation into the COL, but for Denver you kind of have to. The whole point of living in Denver is to take advantage of the mountain sports. Sure, the city offers other amenities, but not to the lengths of other non recreational places. Plus, the majority of social circles will involve some kind of mountain sport.

Here was my personal shopping list my first year:
Skis: $1,200
Passes: $700
Tent/Bag: $650
Mountain Bike: $5,500
Climbing Gear: $400
Roof Rack: $400
Clothes: $7-900

I would never makes these kind of purchases if I lived in say..NYC or LA.
If that's your reasoning, you'll need to include surfboards, cruising bikes, roof racks, wet suits etc as expenses for living in LA. After all, what's the point in living there if you don't partake in those activities?

Old 08-07-2018, 01:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Is there still the annual SNIAGRAB sale on SKI stuff?

IIRC, one may save enough to buy one Blizzak each year...
I don't think SNIAGRAB exists anymore since Sports Authority's departure. However, I guess there's something call Ski Rex now at Colorado Ski & Golf.

I also imagine that a lot of the local ski shops like Christy's.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I don't think SNIAGRAB exists anymore since Sports Authority's departure. However, I guess there's something call Ski Rex now at Colorado Ski & Golf.

I also imagine that a lot of the local ski shops like Christy's.

Colorado Ski and Golf was bought by Epic Mountain gear, but I do believe they are still doing ski rex.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Mountain bikes with heavy-duty equipment can be costly. I've seen them run as high as $12,000 at some LBS.

$5,500 probably gets you a pretty solid middle of the pack bike with mid-grade Shimano or Sram equipment.

My hybrid cost about $1,500. It's the most I've ever spent on a bike. Of course, I've had it since 2012. Generally, when you drop $$$ money on equipment, you're buying it for longevity sake. At least that's how I view my purchases.
Jesus Christ I had no idea they ran that high. I had a Trek Mountain Bike in High School that was like $500 at the most.

I got a 1986 Bianchi Road Bike that I paid $300 bucks for in 2010 that potentially is worth close to 1K now.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Jesus Christ I had no idea they ran that high. I had a Trek Mountain Bike in High School that was like $500 at the most.
If you get into any hobby seriously, you can rack up some big money. Biking can be pretty expensive if you account for all the maintenance on top of the initial capital purchases. If you can learn to service your bike yourself, you can save a lot.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If that's your reasoning, you'll need to include surfboards, cruising bikes, roof racks, wet suits etc as expenses for living in LA. After all, what's the point in living there if you don't partake in those activities?
Beach/surfing culture doesn't dominate LA like mountain culture dominates Denver.

LA is a world class city with endless options for recreation of all kinds. I'm not saying Denver doesn't have things to do besides the mountains, but due to it's demographics, and recent popularity of being known as a mountain sports city, people here are pretty obsessed with the mountains (and for good reason).

Even other places with good outdoor recreation, like Seattle or Portland, aren't as mountain obsessed as Denver is.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Beach/surfing culture doesn't dominate LA like mountain culture dominates Denver.

LA is a world class city with endless options for recreation of all kinds. I'm not saying Denver doesn't have things to do besides the mountains, but due to it's demographics, and recent popularity of being known as a mountain sports city, people here are pretty obsessed with the mountains (and for good reason).

Even other places with good outdoor recreation, like Seattle or Portland, aren't as mountain obsessed as Denver is.
I think the take away is that no matter where you relocate, there is going to be something else to fill in the void.

For instance, maybe you don't spend all your time and money at the beaches in LA, but maybe you spend more money on food & beverage, live shows, sports, and other forms of entertainment that are popular. My brother in MI spends a lot of his money on water sports and recreational vehicles like ATVs and dirt bikes. They don't have mountains, but they have plenty of lakes and outdoors activities that one can really sink a lot of money into. My parents bought a $30k RV recently to do more camping around the state.

If you have the inclination, there is always something to spend your $$$ on regardless of where you live. Hell, even home bodies may spend a ton of $$$ on an entertainment center or PC rig for gaming.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:

You clearly travel in different circles than me, the people I know are not obsessed by the mountains, and very few people I know ski. They have all kinds of reasons for wanting to be in/enjoying Denver, but please don't be so narrow minded as to think that your reasons (and the people you associate with who happen to share your opinion) are the only reasons.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You clearly travel in different circles than me, the people I know are not obsessed by the mountains, and very few people I know ski. They have all kinds of reasons for wanting to be in/enjoying Denver, but please don't be so narrow minded as to think that your reasons (and the people you associate with who happen to share your opinion) are the only reasons.
To MN_Ski's credit, mountain sports culture is indeed a big deal in the 20s-30s age range. It had always been a major hangup for me early on when I moved here and didn't ski much. Why? Because a lot of people that age spend a lot of time out in the mountains for those types of activities. It's certainly not everyone's thing, but it's a big influence for a lot of people. Even my fiancee moved here from Texas for the mountains and skiing.

As we've gotten older, we've spent less and less time in the mountains as we focus on other life goals, home improvement, travel, etc. But it was definitely an obstacle in my earlier years when I was trying to find circles to hang out in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver