Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:00 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I do know of people doing a "layover" relocation. Like they will only stay for 3-9 months, and then go somewhere else. I know at least 5 people from my own little high school in WI who did this the year of legalization (moved for pot and without a job).

So if say 10 people moved in from Jan-June, left, then 10 more people moved in between July-Dec, and left, that would be 20 new residents for 1 year, but 0 added to the population increase for that year.

I know this isn't the best way to judge migration, but there certainly is a reduction in the amount of out of state plates I see on the roads and in parking lots. Back between 2014-2016, I swear 3/4 of cars were from out of state. There were times when I would park at a trail head, and there wouldn't be a single Colorado plate in the 50ish car parking lot. Compared to today, out of state plates seem to make up 1/4 of cars (of my own guesstimate).
I still see a lot of out of state plates, especially in and around downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 03:27 PM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I still see a lot of out of state plates, especially in and around downtown.
Downtown makes sense though as that is where the majority of new housing has been built, and it seems that new construction is typically filled by new residents. And even then, it is still nothing like it was a few years ago.

Also, out of state plates dominate every major city now days. Even in my hometown of Milwaukee, where our population is decreasing, you can drive on a main strip and see tons of them. For us though, it was always Illinois and Minnesota plates, instead of Texas/California/Florida.

People are also lazy. There are 3 New Yorkers on my block who haven't registered their car in CO for over 2 years now. A close friend of mine has kept his Georgia plate, and drivers license, because the insurance is apparently cheaper that way.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Downtown makes sense though as that is where the majority of new housing has been built, and it seems that new construction is typically filled by new residents. And even then, it is still nothing like it was a few years ago.

Also, out of state plates dominate every major city now days. Even in my hometown of Milwaukee, where our population is decreasing, you can drive on a main strip and see tons of them. For us though, it was always Illinois and Minnesota plates, instead of Texas/California/Florida.

People are also lazy. There are 3 New Yorkers on my block who haven't registered their car in CO for over 2 years now. A close friend of mine has kept his Georgia plate, and drivers license, because the insurance is apparently cheaper that way.
Me too!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
I've seen a few articles about this. I believe the highest out are Phoenix, Seattle, DFW, Austin, and (surprisingly) Los Angeles despite COL being higher.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I've seen a few articles about this. I believe the highest out are Phoenix, Seattle, DFW, Austin, and (surprisingly) Los Angeles despite COL being higher.
The move to LA doesn’t surprise me. A lot of people who moved TO the Denver area came from SoCal. They might simply be going back home. Over many years in CO, I heard ex-CA people say how they missed the climate, the plant life, the ocean beaches, the huge variety of cuisines in LA, and other things. It’s not that they disliked CO, but it does not have some things that CA has.

They NEVER say they miss the traffic or smog! But Denver COL has been rising high enough that, in balance with career opportunities, CA doesn’t seem so bad after all.

The only weird choice in your list is Seattle, because it is the only nonsunny city of that group. Then again, some who move to Denver discover that there is such a thing as too much sun and heat.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The move to LA doesn’t surprise me. A lot of people who moved TO the Denver area came from SoCal. They might simply be going back home. Over many years in CO, I heard ex-CA people say how they missed the climate, the plant life, the ocean beaches, the huge variety of cuisines in LA, and other things. It’s not that they disliked CO, but it does not have some things that CA has.

They NEVER say they miss the traffic or smog! But Denver COL has been rising high enough that, in balance with career opportunities, CA doesn’t seem so bad after all.

The only weird choice in your list is Seattle, because it is the only nonsunny city of that group. Then again, some who move to Denver discover that there is such a thing as too much sun and heat.
It's true! All of those are the same reasons as to why I moved back to SoCal. Thankfully my commute is reverse so traffic home to/from the office really isn't bad. But man, working in the Valley what drives me crazy is the slow timing of the lights.

Exactly as you said it as well - Coming from CA to CO, in many ways CO can't stack up. Although it's paradise compared to NJ where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver