Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:07 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbark813 View Post
CA doesn't have a liquor store on every corner and next to every grocery store like here.
Maybe we're talking about different Californias than the one I lived in for decades, because I certainly remember exactly that. There was a liquor store in nearly every plaza of any size, often quite near grocery stores, big drugstores and even liquor warehouses.

Quote:
The price discrepancies aren't as big either. CO will probably end up with something similar but will lose some liquor stores along the way to get to that point.
There are vast ranges of pricing in CA compared to the exceedingly narrow range of CT and here.

With all due politeness, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about here. Maybe you visited anomalous parts of California, or something but nothing you've said above is even close to accurate.

I find it annoying as hell to have moved from a state with very open liquor laws to ones stuck in the late 1930s... but I in no way advocate the California system for any other place. OTOH, I don't believe in protected classes for merchants; if liquor stores can't survive in a more competitive arena, let 'em die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Liquor stores were a rare sight in San Diego. It has always been one stop shopping when it came to groceries and alcohol. I grew up there and I didn't move here until I was 28.

Up until about 10 years ago it was illegal to sell alcohol on Sundays here in Colorado. We are slowly moving into the 21st century.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

73 posts, read 58,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
With all due politeness, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about here. Maybe you visited anomalous parts of California, or something but nothing you've said above is even close to accurate.
I lived in the Bay Area in CA for over 30 years. Grew up there and moved here from there in 2017. So yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Okay, overlooked the 'drugstore license' category. But as you say, it's so restricted as to have far less impact that just being able to buy real beer in grocery stores.

As the arguments against fairly open liquor sales are either morality-based (without much actual data in support of the claims and positions) or protecting a class of merchants to the detriment of consumers, all the mickey-mouse maneuvering is pure absurdism.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
I lived in the Bay Area in CA for over 30 years. Grew up there and moved here from there in 2017. So yeah, I know what I'm talking about.
I am on board with you. I couldn't believe how many liquor stores there were when I first moved here and then I learned that nothing but 3.2 was sold in the grocery stores.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Lived in CA for 50 years and unless the Bay Area cities have restrictions I'm unaware of, nothing you said applies to any California I'm familiar with. Just go look at yellow page listings or whatever, or call up a Google map of any random suburban area, to see how many liquor stores there are, and where. I'd wager it's more than the density here, and over ten times the effective area.

But don't take my hazy recollections of a few years ago for it: this report from 2014 says more than 10 times as many liquor stores in CA as CO, with a per-population ratio of almost 2:1.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Lived in CA for 50 years and unless the Bay Area cities have restrictions I'm unaware of, nothing you said applies to any California I'm familiar with. Just go look at yellow page listings or whatever, or call up a Google map of any random suburban area, to see how many liquor stores there are, and where. I'd wager it's more than the density here, and over ten times the effective area.
There are also 10x as many people. I never said there were no liquor stores, just not everywhere like here.

Your mind is probably just failing you in your old age.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
There are also 10x as many people. I never said there were no liquor stores, just not everywhere like here.

Your mind is probably just failing you in your old age.
Nearly two to one population ratio, CO to CA. One store per 2700 Californians, vs one per 4200 MileHighers.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM

780 posts, read 425,730 times
Quote:
Okay, overlooked the 'drugstore license' category. But as you say, it's so restricted as to have far less impact that just being able to buy real beer in grocery stores.

As the arguments against fairly open liquor sales are either morality-based (without much actual data in support of the claims and positions) or protecting a class of merchants to the detriment of consumers, all the mickey-mouse maneuvering is pure absurdism.
As of now, it seems like any brand chain can have up to five of these 'drugstore licenses'. I'm sure in due time, that number will be increased.

I'm friends with a person whose family owns/owned a couple of liquor stores in the metro, including one very well known store. Based on her explanations and defenses, this has always been about protecting the liquor store lobby. As soon as they knew this law was passing, one of her family members sold off one of their stores.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Nearly two to one population ratio, CO to CA. One store per 2700 Californians, vs one per 4200 MileHighers.
That report doesn't say what qualifies as a liquor store. If that means "any store that sells liquor" then it would include grocery stores for CA but not for CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver