Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times

Advertisements

I may get some hate for this, but here goes.

I've lived in some of the largest cities in the US, and I've worked in corporate environments in all of those locations. Since moving to Denver, I have found that, on the whole, there is a marked lack of professionalism and work ethic here. This isn't everyone of course, but it's significant enough that it's stood out to me.

People just don't seem to take work very seriously here. It's an attitude of laziness, a lack of urgency, and a lack of accountability. The corporate environments I've worked in here have had a sense of disorganization and disconnectedness that you just wouldn't find in larger cities. And, the unprofessional behavior that I've witnessed in the workplace here is insane, to the point where half of the things that people get away with would never, ever fly in larger cities, especially not on the east coast.

This has been my experience, and the experience of other transplants I've talked to about this. Again, it doesn't apply to everyone in Denver, but it's common enough to be notable. Has anyone else experienced this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times
My husband did in one of his earlier jobs, but this was about 25 years ago or so. He worked for a company that tolerated people leaving hours early and still paid them for a full day's work. They were a "party" company, even though it was an engineering firm (!!!) My husband stood it for about two years until he had enough of that general attitude and quit.

But that was the exception.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I haven't seen that in my position/company (large engineering firm).

It is different than the EC, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it unprofessional or lack of work ethic. More the understanding that work is not the be-all, end-all, followed by an hour or 2 commute to go home. And honestly not everything is as urgent as some make it out to be.

Edit after pondering...

Can you be more specific? In the close to 25 years with the same firm (all in Denver though I'm not originally from here and started my career elsewhere), I have noticed changes but I doubt they are Denver specific. Work attire has definitely changed - "business casual" is more the norm and "casual Fridays" means jeans. Suits are not typical everyday attire. The corporate world has changed to encompass flexible work schedules and teleworking- both of which have pluses and minuses regarding collaborative projects and office culture. Also - seems every time I turn around I'm hearing of mergers, buyouts and reorganizations (not just my company but most everywhere it seems). That does create chaos at work both in the organization and in employee morale as they face uncertain futures. The game has changed. I'm glad I'm not starting my career now to be honest.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-24-2020 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 AM

405 posts, read 448,909 times
Millennials are changing the culture of work. (And I say, good for them.) And yes, Denver's more mellow than the East -- though I wouldn't call it lack of professionalism or question the work ethic. I would characterize it as a desire to have a life outside of work. Which is a concept that's hard for some people in the East to understand. (OP, ever work in Europe? Boy would that open your eyes...)

Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Does the work get done? Or do you believe professionalism is showing up, sitting at a desk many hours and then saying you work hard?

Old 01-24-2020, 08:38 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Have you been yelling at the kids to get off your lawn?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times
When you point a finger at someone else, four fingers are pointing back at you.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:14 AM

235 posts, read 355,257 times
Relax dude. It’s Colorado. We recognize there’s more to life than work. Maybe that’s not your thing.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
A lot of people have moved or stayed in Colorado due to the lifestyle. It has never been a secret that we are less uptight and less dressy than east coast cities, but I do not know how that makes one less professional?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
I have lived in Denver since 2004, minus a 2 year stint in Chicago.

Personally, I found the professional culture in Chicago exhausting. The norm was working excruciating hours, stepping all over your colleagues to "get ahead," and quite frankly, a lack of work/life balance. This general attitude seemed to lead to a culture of rudeness and aggression in the workplace. I'm sorry, but that cutthroat culture seems very unprofessional.

Denver has a more laid back corporate culture, and I for one, like that. It isn't laziness... I know that my colleagues and I work very hard through the week. But, we don't feel guilty for leaving work at a reasonable hour and living our lives. And that whole East coast thing of making work your identity is quite frankly, sad. I suspect that Denver is not a good fit for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver