Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
cga cga started this thread

27 posts, read 67,252 times

Advertisements

I am a sole proprietor. I have many years of experience as a creative consultant who provides art direction, branding development, and design services to businesses. My skills and abilities provide the benefit of an integrated perspective to my clients of an intelligent, strategic, creative approach to their marketing needs. I've worked in this capacity in both Southern and Northern California for more than ten years, and have lived and worked in Utah now for about 1.5 years.

So here's the deal, upon changing states, I have noticed a dramatic difference in the way that creative professionals are regarded in this industry by other businesses. In California, I was able to make a good income and my skills and services were treated with the respect one would show any other professional service provider. Here in Utah, the lack of this is so painfully irritating and disturbing as to make me wonder whether I need to change the focus of my profession. Designers in Utah are technicians, not professional consultants whose opinions and contractual negotiations are given serious consideration.

I feel so alone in this realization save for my husband who is a professional in the field of science. We often comment about how uninformed and unsophisticated business owners appear to be in this state. Perhaps it's just the luck of my industry that a designer (in Utah) is required to know complex software and production methods and get paid just $10/hr. It's enough to make me scream and run to an MBA in marketing so I can get a little respect. Instead, I get responses that have been conditioned from previous dealings with unprofessional creatives who adhere to no contracts, no best practices, or respect themselves enough to demand more from their clients.

Is there ANYONE out there who can relate to what I'm saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
"Utah" and "creativity" are not often seen together in the same sentence. Plus, everyone and their dog went to college here to work similar career paths so there are a glut of workers available and no real pressing need for local businesses to actually pay them what they are worth. But that's economics for ya.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,135 times
I think that Chango hit it head on. Utah is known as a low paying state, especially when it comes to women. Part of me wonders if the economic downturn is playing a factor in what you are going through also. Maybe back in California things would not be so great for you either-maybe they would. If it were me, I would think long and hard about doing the MBA thing unless you really want it as I have several friends with that particular peice of paper hanging on the wall and no paycheck/raise to justify the expense..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Default glut-ton for punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
"Utah" and "creativity" are not often seen together in the same sentence. Plus, everyone and their dog went to college here to work similar career paths so there are a glut of workers available and no real pressing need for local businesses to actually pay them what they are worth. But that's economics for ya.

Actually, I think there is greater competition in California given the LA and San Francisco metropolitan areas...those are art meccas, and there is definitely a glut of artists there. I do think there is an overabundance of unemployed workers available in most professions given the economy, so business owners feel they can pay highly-qualified people peanuts. I actually went to a cattle call interview for a small heating and air conditioning business in Salt Lake and the owner repeatedly joked around with the people he interviewed, asking if they were "hungry." Not for peanuts, I'm not.

But I guess what I'm expressing really in my post is that there is definitely a distinction in the level of professionalism in general between California and Utah. What I mean by this is the decorum of the professional, how to conduct yourself in interviews, showing proper respect and practicing the mores belonging to white collar businesses, having some polish and dignity, a pride of presentation. I think the difference may be that there is more competition in California, so business have to improve their game to win and retain customers. I don't often feel that is the case in Utah.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Default MBA migrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I think that Chango hit it head on. Utah is known as a low paying state, especially when it comes to women. Part of me wonders if the economic downturn is playing a factor in what you are going through also. Maybe back in California things would not be so great for you either-maybe they would. If it were me, I would think long and hard about doing the MBA thing unless you really want it as I have several friends with that particular peice of paper hanging on the wall and no paycheck/raise to justify the expense..
Yes, I know Utah is low paying, and I expected to run into about a 30-40% decrease in income when I moved, but the levels of difference I am experiencing are about 60%! I honestly feel that Utah has no idea what to do with people like me, they don't see the value, and educating them as to the creative/client relationship and selling them the value is the challenge someone like myself is likely to run into like a motorcyclist against a brick wall.

I hear you about the MBA thing...I have a friend who has two and rarely uses them, but then again there are people with BA and BSs who don't do what they went to college for. It's all about the individual and how driven he or she is to succeed. I guess my interest is simply to learn more than have a credential to my name...in the end, credentials only get you so far...real world experience speaks louder.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,558 times
It seems as though the private sector job market here is pretty depressing as a whole. I actually have an MBA, but I work for the federal government and had the job opportunity before I moved here. I'm not sure how well I would do with my credentials here if I were looking for private sector work. My significant other had great difficulty finding work here when we moved. He commutes an hour one way for his job and the gas eats him alive. He also makes about 10,000 less per year than he would make for the same position with the same company in Oklahoma where we are from, and Oklahoma is considered a fairly low wage state with a lower cost of living than Utah. I attended a luncheon in March with the Utah State Treasurer as a guest speaker. His figures showed percentages were significantly down employment-wise in virtually every sector except healthcare, government and education, and he didn't expect things to get better anytime soon. The employers really have the edge on the market right now. Even employers (such as my significant other's company) with fairly menial jobs to offer are upping their standards for employees they are hiring right now simply because they can due to the glut of people out there in need of work.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
It seems as though the private sector job market here is pretty depressing as a whole.
With that said, the unemployment rate for the state is always well below the national average, so it's much more depressing outside of the state.

To the OP, if they don't value you for what you think you're worth, then that's that right. Different people have different perceptions of value.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
My question to the OP is do you have a web site that shows what you can do? Are you involved with networking groups to sell what it is you do? Have you made presentations to the local Chamber of Commerce? Seems that someone of your caliber would have those things now or done those what it takes to get your name out there. Have you looked at employers and determined how your skills and talents would benefit them? After the determination have you made an attempt to offer a presentation to them and show them how you can help their organization? If they are not seeing it yet, do the legwork to show them how you can be a benefit to them.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
[quote=cga;14048336]I am a sole proprietor. I have many years of experience as a creative consultant who provides art direction, branding development, and design services to businesses. My skills and abilities provide the benefit of an integrated perspective to my clients of an intelligent, strategic, creative approach to their marketing needs. I've worked in this capacity in both Southern and Northern California for more than ten years, and have lived and worked in Utah now for about 1.5 years.

So here's the deal, upon changing states, I have noticed a dramatic difference in the way that creative professionals are regarded in this industry by other businesses. In California, I was able to make a good income and my skills and services were treated with the respect one would show any other professional service provider. Here in Utah, the lack of this is so painfully irritating and disturbing as to make me wonder whether I need to change the focus of my profession. Designers in Utah are technicians, not professional consultants whose opinions and contractual negotiations are given serious consideration.

I feel so alone in this realization save for my husband who is a professional in the field of science. We often comment about how uninformed and unsophisticated business owners appear to be in this state. Perhaps it's just the luck of my industry that a designer (in Utah) is required to know complex software and production methods and get paid just $10/hr. It's enough to make me scream and run to an MBA in marketing so I can get a little respect. Instead, I get responses that have been conditioned from previous dealings with unprofessional creatives who adhere to no contracts, no best practices, or respect themselves enough to demand more from their clients.

Is there ANYONE out there who can relate to what I'm saying?

.................................................. ...............................................

The following may account for your problems:

1. Utah is a low wage state.
2. The per capita income in Utah is even lower due to the fact that the average family size is larger.
3. The average Utahn maybe less "sophisticated" than the average Californian is in terms of the type of work you do.
4. The type of business you are in typically has a tougher time creating a market in a new area. No matter how creative your services may be, they are not essential in the same way that having food, shelter, and clothing are essential. I think there is a certain "learning curve" involved in convincing people that your services are valuable.
5. Many consumers in such a climate cannot differentiate between a "quality" consultant such as yourself and someone who merely holds himself out as such.

What I am saying is that this type of community probably does not attach the same value to your occupation as some others do. Therefore, poor quality consultants and those who merely imitate what you do at a lower price are going to get more recognition than they deserve. Have you ever heard the axiom "the bad drives out the good".

Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yep. It's not just your field OP that this a problem in. There's a glut (I won't say why...) of skilled and educated workers here, making it a piece of cake to pay lower than other states or cities for the same job. It sucks, and is common in just about every job here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area