Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:37 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times

Advertisements

IIRC, according to Redfin it seems noticing that Post Denver people are split into various groups: Move to Texas, Move Back Home (Because They've had Enough), Move to the West Coast (and accept higher wages and costs), or Stay Because They're Settled.

It depends on personal tastes of course, but as far as the Denver Job Economy it's likely to be better previous dry spells because of how diversified it's become since the Early 1990s or Early 2000s.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:43 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Most macroeconomists I have spoken to will readily admit that they are great at analyzing the past, but not great at predicting the future. There are just too many variables. That’s part of the reason I laugh when people on citydata claim to know what’s going to happen next.
So when people ask what will happen to the Denver metro area / Front Range or how will cities across the US change, broad questions like that, you can only answer those with macroeconomics and aggregate numbers like CPI or unemployment or GDP. When you scale down the question to what will happen to this specific area, for this thread downtown, you slide down the scale to in between macroeconomics and microeconomics; there's just less variables, only a couple hundred restaurants and bars, maybe 100 office firms, say 20,000 residents...

Macroeconomists are never going to give definitive forecasts. Microeconomics has better predictive power, and when large scale changes happen in a small area or a single industry you can have more certainty.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:21 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So when people ask what will happen to the Denver metro area / Front Range or how will cities across the US change, broad questions like that, you can only answer those with macroeconomics and aggregate numbers like CPI or unemployment or GDP. When you scale down the question to what will happen to this specific area, for this thread downtown, you slide down the scale to in between macroeconomics and microeconomics; there's just less variables, only a couple hundred restaurants and bars, maybe 100 office firms, say 20,000 residents...

Macroeconomists are never going to give definitive forecasts. Microeconomics has better predictive power, and when large scale changes happen in a small area or a single industry you can have more certainty.
Eh. That’s not really accurate. Microeconomics is transactional. It’s more a study of single transactions. Denver would still be a macro study.

Until there is clarity on the medical situation, it’s very hard to have a great model.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:21 AM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Live & work where ever you want but currenty an i25/i70 work commute is not sustainable. I dont see why peeps that work at home and or live next to where they work should pay to improve the freeways.

mySelf; I really dont care if CDOT drops dead as my longest commute is like 6 miles on city streets.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
Live & work where ever you want but currenty an i25/i70 work commute is not sustainable. I dont see why peeps that work at home and or live next to where they work should pay to improve the freeways.

mySelf; I really dont care if CDOT drops dead as my longest commute is like 6 miles on city streets.
See, this is a microeconomic discussion.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Maybe people will get out their cars and ride bicycles.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
You make me laugh.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Seems like a definite possibility.
Bike stores can’t keep them in stock.

“Similar to what happened with the toilet paper industry, bikes are selling at high speeds and the unexpected demand is having a ripple effect on bike inventory.

“We have ordered 75 to 100 bikes in the last two months and we are completely out,” Trent said. “Two weeks ago we got an email from Cannondale saying there is a bike shortage and anything we are ordering is probably not going to be what we are fully getting.””

https://kdvr.com/news/local/we-are-t...ring-pandemic/

Saw the following a few days ago, I think it could be positive for the downtown area.

“The City and County of Denver is considering a proposal to shut down certain streets to allow restaurants more space for outdoor seating and social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.”

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/de...ring-pandemic/

Old 05-17-2020, 11:56 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Could be people are riding bikes for exercise since gyms have been closed.... just a guess ...

If they use them for commuting after the virus is over that's a plus for their health and the atmosphere.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:00 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Eh. That’s not really accurate. Microeconomics is transactional. It’s more a study of single transactions. Denver would still be a macro study.

Until there is clarity on the medical situation, it’s very hard to have a great model.
True, though the reason I say it's in between is because there's a couple big players that are driving the trend, like the Pepsi Center, so you can look at it both from the top down and bottom up.

As far as bikes, this is coming on the heels of the e-bike revolution and what's happening is many people who didn't like to or couldn't use a bicycle for commuting (or recreation) now can with a battery assist. Many retirees couldn't huff it 6 miles on a regular bike commute, but they can on an ebike. This is ultimate better form of what the scooters tried to do, micro transportation. Bikes are owner occupied, faster, safer but still dodge traffic. What cities need to do, especially Denver, is make sure people can park their bikes without them getting sawed off, stolen, or 'towed'. If people can't park, they won't frequent a place. It would be stupid to have an dense urban environment with billions of dollars of mass transit and miss the easy million dollar fixes that could be just as effective.

FWIW, the trend seems to be pointing to a big change for expensive, tech oriented downtowns: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wo...ice-2020-05-15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver