Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:15 AM

157 posts, read 139,408 times

Advertisements

March isn't the best time to visit Denver city, all the trees will be dead, zero greenery, just not the best time for the city. You need to focus more on the Denver AREA, more specifically areas west of the city. Boulder is really nice, red rocks is a must-see. Idaho Springs is a good mountain town and nice drive.

Denver airport is one of the biggest airports in the country and is very efficient and planned for snow events, most people here don't even think about delays. The only issue with Denver airport that can be problematic is getting to the airport in the snow. For your departure flight don't do early morning flight.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:25 AM

74 posts, read 98,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
A lot of this is going to be subjective based on your own personal tastes, but here goes.

1. Traffic is lighter than normal due to COVID. Denver does experience traffic issues, and during non-COVID times bumper-to-bumper traffic during rush hour is common on I-25, I-70, and I-270.

2. There are aggressive drivers here. I don't encounter them much during my commute (primarily on non-freeway roads), but they are present.

3. Transplants complain that folks in Denver are cordial but aloof, and are occasionally flaky. Again, I haven't experienced any of that.

4. What do you like to do? Downtown Denver has taken a serious hit due to COVID, and if you're into outdoor recreation it's not in Denver proper. You'll have to head west to the foothills for that.

5. Yes and yes.

6. The Springs is Denver's conservative/libertarian little brother (and man alive is the bitter Little Brother Syndrome strong in some of the long-timers). It's closer to the mountains than Denver, but it also feels much smaller than the Denver Metro Area.
So with the traffic, I imagine it might be about the same as Phoenix traffic. Traffic here in Phoenix has also been lighter due to COVID. I remember pre-COVID times here, traffic was heavy. It would take an hour to get from Chandler to downtown at times in the mornings and evenings. Now it's 30-40 minutes because of COVID. Thanks for letting me know about there being aggressive drivers. I'll be careful driving in Denver. Do the drivers also cut you off in Denver to where you are about to get into a bad accident if you drive in the left lane too slow? Is Denver also all transplants like Phoenix is?

Tucson is Phoenix's little Democratic/Liberal little brother too. It's funny because Tucson is also closer to the mountains than Phoenix is. Makes me think both cities have several similarities to Phoenix and Tucson. I imagine the drive between Denver and Colorado Springs is also an hour and a half too.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:27 AM

74 posts, read 98,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
March isn't the best time to visit Denver city, all the trees will be dead, zero greenery, just not the best time for the city. You need to focus more on the Denver AREA, more specifically areas west of the city. Boulder is really nice, red rocks is a must-see. Idaho Springs is a good mountain town and nice drive.

Denver airport is one of the biggest airports in the country and is very efficient and planned for snow events, most people here don't even think about delays. The only issue with Denver airport that can be problematic is getting to the airport in the snow. For your departure flight don't do early morning flight.
I plan to go on a big road trip in March. I plan to fly to El Paso, rent a car, and drive from where I-25 starts in Las Cruces, NM all the way to Denver. The freeway from Albuquerque to Denver looks so nice. You go through the rockies and enter Colorado that way. I've never done the drive, but always wanted to.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:45 AM

8,621 posts, read 15,003,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerDobson View Post
I plan to go on a big road trip in March. I plan to fly to El Paso, rent a car, and drive from where I-25 starts in Las Cruces, NM all the way to Denver. The freeway from Albuquerque to Denver looks so nice. You go through the rockies and enter Colorado that way. I've never done the drive, but always wanted to.
Keep in mind that I-25 only goes through the Rockies between Santa Fe and Las Vegas, NM and over Monument Hill just north of Colorado Springs. Once you're north of Las Vegas you're east of the Rockies on the plains all the way to Denver except for Raton Pass (which isn't technically part of the Rockies) and Monument Hill between Monument and Castle Pines.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:51 AM

17,750 posts, read 30,033,906 times
Default A little slower and way more scenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerDobson View Post
I plan to go on a big road trip in March. I plan to fly to El Paso, rent a car, and drive from where I-25 starts in Las Cruces, NM all the way to Denver.
I propose a different route.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Albuquerque
Santa Fe
Taos
Alamosa, Colorado
Salida
Buena Vista or turn right just south of Buena Vista and take US 285 to Denver (Red Hill Pass and Kenosha Pass)
Leadville
Fremont Pass
then I-70 to Denver

Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 AM

26,326 posts, read 49,307,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Albuquerque
Santa Fe
Taos
Alamosa, Colorado
Salida
Buena Vista or turn right just south of Buena Vista and take US 285 to Denver (Red Hill Pass and Kenosha Pass)
Leadville
Fremont Pass
then I-70 to Denver
That will be a road trip with STUNNING scenery. Just bookmark the COLO DOT website for road conditions in case of snow.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:09 AM

8,621 posts, read 15,003,232 times
Quote:
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Albuquerque
Santa Fe
Taos
Alamosa, Colorado
Salida
Leadville
Fremont Pass
then I-70 to Denver
This is actually a much more scenic route that will take OP near Great Sand Dunes NP and the Rio Grande Gorge. Both are slight detours from the main route, but they are worth the side trip(s). These do feature a lot more mountain driving on mostly 2-lane roads and snow could be a bigger headache than I-25.

If Colorado Springs is a priority, the OP can head east on US-50 from Salida to Penrose, and then take CO-115 into Colorado Springs. Royal Gorge is another potential stop along that route.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:20 AM

26,326 posts, read 49,307,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
T... If Colorado Springs is a priority, the OP can head east on US-50 from Salida to Penrose, and then take CO-115 into Colorado Springs. Royal Gorge is another potential stop along that route.
Been to Royal Gorge several times, for the train trip and the prison tour. The gorge is known as the Grand Canyon of Colorado. In summer, the white water rafting trip are a fan favorite. Main page for tourist info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:50 AM

922 posts, read 801,400 times
I remember at least two significant blizzards in March. The snow gets very heavy and decimated a lot of trees. Our back yard looked like a war zone.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:32 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,637,334 times
Quote:
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Albuquerque
Santa Fe
Taos
Alamosa, Colorado
Salida
Leadville
Fremont Pass
then I-70 to Denver
Agree! A far better route than just driving up boring I-25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver