Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 02:15 PM

13 posts, read 9,490 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate any suggestions! I am moving to Denver from the UK. Early 30's, single, coming with a dog and a horse.

From my research the horse is likely to be kept in or around the Parker area. I want to be able to get to him in circa 30 minutes, but also want to be able to commute to both Denver airport and central Denver.

I'd like to live somewhere with plenty of trails and was looking at Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and Parker. However they all seem very family orientated and I don't want to completely cut myself off from young fun!

I will be working from home, travelling and working in central Denver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 03:07 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michen333 View Post
Would appreciate any suggestions! I am moving to Denver from the UK. Early 30's, single, coming with a dog and a horse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michen333;
From my research the horse is likely to be kept in or around the Parker area. I want to be able to get to him in circa 30 minutes, but also want to be able to commute to both Denver airport and central Denver.

I'd like to live somewhere with plenty of trails and was looking at Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and Parker. However they all seem very family orientated and I don't want to completely cut myself off from young fun!

I will be working from home, travelling and working in central Denver.
Arvada has a horse boarding facility/equestrian center. Boarding

There are a number of facilities around Lafayette. Here's Avery Ranch, which advertises "20 minutes from Denver". A+ rating. Avery Ranch | Breeding, Training, Boarding & Sales – Always Professional – Always Fun

There are facilities all over the Denver area. Or have you already researched them all, and decided on the one in Parker?

I'm really curious as to how you plan to arrive with your horse. I take it you're not planning to ride the poor beast all the way over here?

(j/k)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-31-2022 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-31-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Arvada has a horse boarding facility/equestrian center. Boarding

There are a number of facilities around Lafayette. Here's Avery Ranch, which advertises "20 minutes from Denver". A+ rating. Avery Ranch | Breeding, Training, Boarding & Sales – Always Professional – Always Fun

Here's a facility in Littleton, which will be much closer to Denver than Parker is.
https://www.cottonwoodridingclub.com/

Or have you already researched them all, and decided on the one in Parker?

I'm really curious as to how you plan to arrive with your horse. I take it you're not planning to ride the poor beast all the way over here?

(j/k)
Haha! I have checked out (online and through email) many boarding facilities and the 5 or so I would like to view definitely all seem to be in the Parker area. Basically the further out of Denver for the horse, the better the care/facilities (turnout, trails). But I'm not sold on Parker itself from what I've read on here, and don't want to isolate myself...but need to assume I will want easy access to that area (or even further out- Elizabeth). I'm happy with a 30/45 min each way commute to the horse but not sure what the roads getting out of Denver from say Littleton at rush hour would be like?

Both horse and dog fly! Horses generally fly in to either LA or Chicago where they are quarantined for a couple of days, then overland by truck to Colorado. Not cheap

Maybe I should add my rental budget is $3000-$3500 max. Housing in highlands ranch/parker looks most affordable. I would like a modern 3 bedroom house.

Thank you for those suggestions!

Old 07-31-2022, 09:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
DTC, Centennial and Greenwood Village are more singles friendly and aren't too far from Parker. Even parts of Aurora might work for you.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:00 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Well OP, I have shipped my bicycle back and forth across the Atlantic a few times and it can be a bit challenging. Shipping a horse across the pond - Wow, that is major league stuff compared to shipping a bicycle. Good luck to you and especially to the horse!!

Old 08-01-2022, 11:31 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
First off, welcome. I live on the southeast side of the Denver metro area not far from Parker so I understand how/why you found this area for your horse.

That being said, with the exception of the Palmer Divide, this area is not great for scenic trails (unless you're into the prairie). Hidden Mesa, Lincoln Mountain, Spruce Mountain, Sandstone Ranch, Greenland, and Dawson Butte Open Spaces all have decent trails and scenery. The really good trails, though, are in the foothills on the west side of town meaning you'll have to add at an hour to your plans if they involve getting your horse and then going to your destination.

You've hit the nail on the head regarding Parker, Castle Rock, and Highlands Ranch re: nightlife/singles activities. They're all pretty family-heavy. The DTC has some singles given its proximity to tech jobs, but it's still not as good as Downtown Denver.

It might be much pricier to board your horse somewhere on the west side of town and look at someplace like Golden. It'll give you better access to trails and downtown - albeit at the expense of a longer commute to the airport.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
First off, welcome. I live on the southeast side of the Denver metro area not far from Parker so I understand how/why you found this area for your horse.

That being said, with the exception of the Palmer Divide, this area is not great for scenic trails (unless you're into the prairie). Hidden Mesa, Lincoln Mountain, Spruce Mountain, Sandstone Ranch, Greenland, and Dawson Butte Open Spaces all have decent trails and scenery. The really good trails, though, are in the foothills on the west side of town meaning you'll have to add at an hour to your plans if they involve getting your horse and then going to your destination.

You've hit the nail on the head regarding Parker, Castle Rock, and Highlands Ranch re: nightlife/singles activities. They're all pretty family-heavy. The DTC has some singles given its proximity to tech jobs, but it's still not as good as Downtown Denver.

It might be much pricier to board your horse somewhere on the west side of town and look at someplace like Golden. It'll give you better access to trails and downtown - albeit at the expense of a longer commute to the airport.

Hi- that's really help thank you. I only found one barn that I thought seemed well worth a visit- Elterra Equestrian? Whereas the Parker area I have a handful to see.

I am looking for plenty of turnout, heated waterers/indoor and absolutely top notch care- unlimited budget. I may have missed some though!

My horse is an eventer so I guess I thought Parker would be a good fit. But if the trail riding isn't great then that's not ideal. What would Golden/Lakewood areas be like in terms of somewhere to live as a reasonably young and very single girl? The housing offering there seems far more limited.

I guess I thought if I was in Highlands ranch type area I could take the light rail into Downtown denver, so I would be better off living in a nice, modern house and commuting in as and when I want to. I definitely don't want to live in the centre of Denver- I'm not a city girl!

Thanks again for your advice

Old 08-01-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Well OP, I have shipped my bicycle back and forth across the Atlantic a few times and it can be a bit challenging. Shipping a horse across the pond - Wow, that is major league stuff compared to shipping a bicycle. Good luck to you and especially to the horse!!
The horse will be flying first class- no luck needed for him- just my bank balance!

Old 08-01-2022, 01:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
I'd look west along the w line. Lakewood, Golden.

Define modern? For a house built this and last century? Most of them are.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I'd look west along the w line. Lakewood, Golden.

Define modern? For a house built this and last century? Most of them are.
Not this specifically but this sort of thing https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...13473901_zpid/

A couple of floors, garage, big/light/airy.

Just seems to be a lot less to rent in the Golden area.

What makes you think that's a better option- socially? I had thought I'd be commutable into Denver for the social aspect even from HR, Parker, Littleton but am I mistaken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver