Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM

619 posts, read 2,200,117 times

Advertisements

if you can stand it.

I'm currently staying in HR in temp housing, and after reading tons here about the place, I've been a bit surprised. I've driven through many neighborhoods, have seen over 20 homes in different neighborhoods, and I've only seen like 10 kids total.

Shouldn't there be a million kids running around? Shouldn't there be open garage doors, with bikes and sprinklers scattered on driveways? Parents chatting on front lawns keeping an eye on the kiddos. For an amazing family friendly town, I can't get over the seeming lack of children. The lack of anyone in the residential areas, for that matter.

What am I missing? Do kids not play in their neighborhoods here? Has everyone moved away? Is it just the end of summer slump? What's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
School may have started. Some of Douglas County is on yr round schools.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM

I thought about that. But this seems to be at all times of day...and on Saturday and Sunday too!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Also, it's been a bazillion degrees out. Too toasty for some tots!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
It varies a lot. On my street, the kids are rarely outside. 4 houses down and around the corner, the streets are full of elementary school aged kids. They are mostly out in the evening when it is cooler.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
if you can stand it.

I'm currently staying in HR in temp housing, and after reading tons here about the place, I've been a bit surprised. I've driven through many neighborhoods, have seen over 20 homes in different neighborhoods, and I've only seen like 10 kids total.

Shouldn't there be a million kids running around? Shouldn't there be open garage doors, with bikes and sprinklers scattered on driveways? Parents chatting on front lawns keeping an eye on the kiddos. For an amazing family friendly town, I can't get over the seeming lack of children. The lack of anyone in the residential areas, for that matter.

What am I missing? Do kids not play in their neighborhoods here? Has everyone moved away? Is it just the end of summer slump? What's up?
I have observed this many times in driving from the less affluent neighborhoods to neighborhoods of more wealth--the lack of children playing outside. I believe is a result of the entertainment that children have indoors--computer, TV, computer games and recreation rooms. While poorer neighborhoods have some of these toys; It is certainly less.

I believe many poorer residents do not have air-conditioning, so children go out more to get air. Air conditioned children are pampered and consider "outside" as hotter then it is because they are comparing it to air-conditioned living.

There are larger homes in richer areas. Children will have more separate areas to recreate alone with friends away from their parents and siblings, in recreation rooms and separate bedrooms. Smaller homes do not all have these amenities so that children, especially as they get into teen years have to go "outside" to be with their kind, away from their observation of their family.

I have written on this forum about this issue as I travel across the metro area to visit relatives---I do not like to take the highways; I like to see the different changing neighborhoods on side roads.

It is certainly noted as a contributing cause of obesity. I think it is somewhat sad that with the great parks and neighborhoods of Denver, we have become residents of our own private indoors.

As we avoid the "outside"; we then make our "inside" our guarded abode, not only in living and recreating, but in our thinking about the different people who dwell on the "outside" of our comfortable ideas and thoughts. Is this a behavior we want in our progeny???

Livecontent

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM

64 posts, read 214,872 times
Not to hijack your thread but we are finding that here in Centennial too! My daughter's school is year round and she is on her 3 weeks off right now. No kids in sight. Some are still in school or just started but still. As for neighbors talking to each other, I just seen my next door neighbor for the first time and we have been here since July 9th. We are so bored through out the day that the kids and I are taking a trip back to MI this weekend. Hope things improve for you.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It varies a lot. On my street, the kids are rarely outside. 4 houses down and around the corner, the streets are full of elementary school aged kids. They are mostly out in the evening when it is cooler.
Hey, can you pm me with the street name where all the kids are out???? That's what I'm looking for.

Livecontent - thanks for your input. My strongly middle class neighborhood in NJ, with plenty of a/c and house space, had kids playing out in each others' yards all the time. We just really want our kids to have that sense of freedom and community as they explore the world. Not to mention the physical benefits.

Kimmer - It has been hot, but since it's all I've known of CO so far, I guess it's hard for me to see it as unusual. I just think of CO as very hot...and dry, boy howdy!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimomof2 View Post
Not to hijack your thread but we are finding that here in Centennial too! My daughter's school is year round and she is on her 3 weeks off right now. No kids in sight. Some are still in school or just started but still. As for neighbors talking to each other, I just seen my next door neighbor for the first time and we have been here since July 9th. We are so bored through out the day that the kids and I are taking a trip back to MI this weekend. Hope things improve for you.
Oh no! Maybe we should buy in your neighborhood so we can start a play outside and bond with your neighbors trend!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM

38 posts, read 153,175 times
oh yes it is just soooo hot(says recent transplant from tucson)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver