Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 61,776 times

Advertisements

I have lived in GVR for almost 4 years. No crime. And I run early in the morning and at night and the worst that has happened was I was scared by a coyote. The worst thing about GVR is the only HS around is in Montbello but GVR is getting it's own HS in 2010. It is a VERY misunderstood area, I really like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,336 times
I grew up in Montbello and thought it was alright. It was very diverse with a good mix of black, white, hispanic and asian. Everybody pretty much got along alright and no one group discriminated or 'picked on' the others. We did have some racial tension and gang activity but nothing that ever affected me directly. I don't know what it's like now but I know the guy living in our old house keeps it better than we ever did. Would I move there now if I had the choice? Probably not although it did help me to better understand the black, mexican and asian cultures much better. Something I would have never gotten living in a happy, white suburb like Cherry Creek.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM

35 posts, read 101,219 times
i would say of all of the neighborhoods in denver, montbello has the worst rep and the highest perceived crime rate.

now, im from tampa. and montebello by tampa's standards would be considered middle class. seriously. east st. louis, non-french quarter New Orleans (Nawlinz), south east D.C., parts of detroit, ponce de leon/nuccio/college hill in downtown tampa, south miami metro, gary indiana, thats rough. thats double rough. those are places even Mr. T would get robbed in. i pity the fool.

montbello? please.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 25,920 times
As I have posted on another thread concerning similiar bashing of Commerce City - If you seem to find fault in the area, or have this type of mindset about the people there, maybe the Lord is calling you to lend a hand a make a change for the better. Jesus died on the cross for everyone, regardless of their annual income, their skin color, or nationality. Remember - when you point your finger at someone, you also have 4 fingers pointing back at you.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 25,920 times
Scanner, you are so right and it only goes to show tbat perception is reality for most folks. I'm from Cleveland (east side) and compared to the old neighborhood, and Chicago, Detroit, Gary and those you mentioned the overall "living experience" here in Commerce City and MB and GVR is superior to say the least.

Not trying to bash anyone here, just making a point about perception and on the impact the media has on creating public opinion.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:18 PM

84 posts, read 337,683 times
Cfive, that's very true.

And sorry to open an old thread, but I know a ton of people living in Montbello and all of them have said it's very ghetto. All of them but one has come from an inner-city neighborhood in another city. This one couple I know originally from the 5th Ward, Houston said it's just like their old neighborhood in Texas, just looks newer. Still the same 'inner-city' atmosphere though. Not a good idea to live in Montbello. On the plus side, though- no need to watch any TV, just look out your window xD

There are certainly scarier hoods in Denver though. :/

Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM

121 posts, read 314,035 times
Ok after reading this what section of Denver should I avoid- North-South-East or West? We are relocating and reading all of this has my head spinning. The last thing I want is to wander into the WRONG section of town with my kids.

Over here(South Lousiana) the Northside of town gets a bad rap but my mother lives on the furtherst part and I love it over there. I'm hoping maybe this thread is like that and it's not that bad :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRenee View Post
Ok after reading this what section of Denver should I avoid- North-South-East or West? We are relocating and reading all of this has my head spinning. The last thing I want is to wander into the WRONG section of town with my kids.

Over here(South Lousiana) the Northside of town gets a bad rap but my mother lives on the furtherst part and I love it over there. I'm hoping maybe this thread is like that and it's not that bad :-)
There is no quadrant of the city that you should avoid. Your own personal tastes and budget will determine where you live.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM

121 posts, read 314,035 times
Katiana I wasn't talking about personal taste on where I would live. I was wondering if I drive in Denver or around it that I don't go into a town that isn't safe to get out of my vehicle. We have areas like this over here and I know where they are and I know NOT to drive through them. That is what I meant by my post. I wasn't speaking about where I was going to reside. Sorry for the confusion ;-) Thanks!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
I show houses to nice people who are looking for that next great place in all quadrants of town. Never have I had an issue. I have lived here for 21 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver