Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

90 posts, read 262,603 times

Advertisements

Ya know, I don't think Denver is that bad. Some streets are lined with trees and some of the neighborhoods in and around it are quite quaint - unique older homes of all sizes and shapes with different landscaping, some green, some not. The parks are nice too and those I have seen are kept pretty clean. And it never hurts to be strolling around in one, such as Sloan Lake, and have a view of the lake and the mountains in the background. Not too shabby compared with a stroll in Central Park.
But I will also note that, I, like you, am used to the 365 lush east and have found that what bothers me in CO is when you are on the road driving from A to B along a long "planned" road and all you see is brown and tumbleweeds for miles of straight boring road. Roads in the northeast are very interesting in comparison, old and winding, flat and hilly, wildflowers, bushes, trees everywhere, making driving even on some of our heavily traveled roads pleasing to the eye. I am very close to moving to CO and have been prepping myself mentally for the switch from green to brown, drinking in all the cool roads here and trying to come to terms with the tumbleweeds and the color brown.
I actually felt less brown phobic on my last visit because I concentrated on the idea of living in Denver; I feel I can justify more of the "ugly" if I also get the benefits of city living, plus, like I said, I was really impressed with some of the neighborhoods asthetically. Living in towns where you need to be in the car all the time will make the brown be in your face maybe too much for us easterners.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
My husband and I are attracted to Denver for the climate and for activities but I've heard that its topography is super dry, brown and ugly. Is that true? Don't laugh: Are there trees? I live in Manhattan now and love Central Park. I just envision Denver being one giant tumble weed. I was there for a couple days but didn't get to see much.
I just got back from a whirlwind week out west, two days in Denver and five in New Mexico.
Denver was beautiful the days I was there, very green, everything blooming.
Everyone kept saying how grim the winter had been, and now I see that snow is expected again. This can maim/kill trees and wreak a lot of other havoc. I once spent a late May weekend without any electricity.
However, looks like Denver will just be wet and cool, maybe no snow--just more moisture to keep things green.
9 counties are now under advisories, watches, or severe weather warnings.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thIndian View Post
365 lush east ...
The Northeast is not lush from November to March. If you want 365 days of lush vegetation per year, you need to go to the western Pacific NW or the South.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM

90 posts, read 262,603 times
Good point, xeric.
It is not "lush" here(NE) in those months. Here, it does seem "brown" in the winter months, with the decidious trees and bushes losing their leaves, but, it still doesn't seem as brown as it does in some of the areas I have visited in CO in the summer! Cause the OP is from NY, I figured they would know what I meant but good to be clear for anyone wanting info on the NE...it is not all flowers and green 365, go south. My son lives in NC and they have flower beds all year long.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thIndian View Post
Good point, xeric.
It is not "lush" here(NE) in those months. Here, it does seem "brown" in the winter months, with the decidious trees and bushes losing their leaves, but, it still doesn't seem as brown as it does in some of the areas I have visited in CO in the summer! Cause the OP is from NY, I figured they would know what I meant but good to be clear for anyone wanting info on the NE...it is not all flowers and green 365, go south. My son lives in NC and they have flower beds all year long.
Yes, I'm sure the OP knows. I just think it's kind of interesting how people in snowy climates tend to de-emphasize what cold dormancy makes the area look like. Of course we get the same thing here in CO, so that's probably not a factor for the OP.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I wish people would accept the fact that Denver is high elevation prairie that gets 15 inches of precip a year rather than trying to impose some eastern USA 65 inches of rain a year horticulture on the place.

If you don't like brown and dry then don't come to Colorado I can tell you in the positive because Colorado has plenty of both. I don't consider it ugly, just different.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
My husband and I are attracted to Denver for the climate and for activities but I've heard that its topography is super dry, brown and ugly. Is that true? Don't laugh: Are there trees? I live in Manhattan now and love Central Park. I just envision Denver being one giant tumble weed. I was there for a couple days but didn't get to see much.
yep, except for the tumble weeds, any trees you see, someone felt a need to put one there. It is brown and uuuuuuuggggglllllleeee...but I suppose that just me. Living in the beautiful desert of Arizona part of the year and green western Washington State the other, I have the best of the best. The Rocky Mountain highs, are....in the Rocky Mountains. I wouldnt equate Denver with anything to do with them except for a nice back drop..and only if you are facing west. The plains look like a gigantic brown golf course. Check out New Mexico instead...much more beauty.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
I dislike that the Rockies keep giving up all their close games.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I dislike that the Rockies keep giving up all their close games.
Treedonkey shoots! He scores! Nothing but net!

Come to think of it, the Denver Nuggets kinda went kaput as well!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I just got back from a whirlwind week out west, two days in Denver and five in New Mexico.
Denver was beautiful the days I was there, very green, everything blooming.
Everyone kept saying how grim the winter had been, and now I see that snow is expected again. This can maim/kill trees and wreak a lot of other havoc. I once spent a late May weekend without any electricity.
However, looks like Denver will just be wet and cool, maybe no snow--just more moisture to keep things green.
9 counties are now under advisories, watches, or severe weather warnings.
It's been snowing in Louisville for a few hours now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver