Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overratedco. View Post
Good riddins, Colorado.
Personally, I don't think the "riddins" here is very good. The "riddins" from back home in Wyoming is much better in my opinion! I havent had good "riddins" in months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Karianne, I totally agree with you about Denver. I moved here and I was very, very surprised by some things going on here. I see things with my own two eyes here all the time that most people refuse to admit even exist here.

I heard that this city is very friendly, huh? Where is this friendlyness at? That's the main thing that bothers me about this place. People here just look serious and unhappy a lot.

It seems like nobody likes to talk about these things or admit to them, it's strange. I don't understand why some people feel to need to avoid facing reality.

I am also not into winter sports. I'm not into going to restaurants all the time. I'm not into getting totally hammered all the time. I'm not into sports, etc.

I'm having a hard time really feeling this place. It has the same yuppieness as SoCal, without the awesome weather and fun vibe.

No place is perfect though. And trust me, there are a LOT of worse places than Denver in the USA. So if you move, choose wisely. The entire USA is going in a strange direction. I have seen a few other cities, that I remember as a child, change drastically for the worse.

I'm leaving this city soon though I can't wait to live in an interesting place once again.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overratedco. View Post
Like my username states, Colorado, and particularly Denver is way over-rated. I've lived in and worked in cities all over the country; the south,
mid-atlantic, northeast, midwest, and now unfortunately Colorado. Great place to visit, maybe spend a week skiing and such, but that's as long as
anyone should stay here. If you like dry, flat, terrain with no lakes(the reservoirs PLEASE, DON'T EVEN GO THERE) with people who are kind of distant, pretty nice, but definitely not overly friendly, than this is the place. Sure the Rockies are nice but how many people can afford to ski there on a regular basis. I'm really glad I only signed a 6 month contract,
because I can't wait to get the heck out of here. No city is perfect and maybe my expectations were too high, but what a disappointment this experience has been. But I will say this, I like Denver more than Atlanta,
but then again, in my opinion almost any city is better than Atlanta.
Anybody who says Denver is the greatest city in the country, really hasn't been too many places. Good riddins, Colorado.

you shouldn't say ANYONE........ cuz some people LIKE the things that you are bashing.......

Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Yeah, it isn't that bad here. But it's also far from spectacular. It's just very mediocre.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Some people aren't going to be happy no matter where they live. Denver rocks.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 PM

38 posts, read 135,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Karianne, I totally agree with you about Denver. I moved here and I was very, very surprised by some things going on here. I see things with my own two eyes here all the time that most people refuse to admit even exist here.

I heard that this city is very friendly, huh? Where is this friendlyness at? That's the main thing that bothers me about this place. People here just look serious and unhappy a lot.

It seems like nobody likes to talk about these things or admit to them, it's strange. I don't understand why some people feel to need to avoid facing reality.

I am also not into winter sports. I'm not into going to restaurants all the time. I'm not into getting totally hammered all the time. I'm not into sports, etc.

I'm having a hard time really feeling this place. It has the same yuppieness as SoCal, without the awesome weather and fun vibe.

No place is perfect though. And trust me, there are a LOT of worse places than Denver in the USA. So if you move, choose wisely. The entire USA is going in a strange direction. I have seen a few other cities, that I remember as a child, change drastically for the worse.

I'm leaving this city soon though I can't wait to live in an interesting place once again.
Can I assume you've never lived in NYC?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
Karianne215 originally asked for a reason to stay: because it's expensive as hell to move, to trade one house for another, and to pay for all the related expenses. That's the only reason I can think of. Figure out where you want to be (that is not easy: your needs for family close by change as your family grows and ages) and then get there and stay there.

The rest is just someone else's opinion.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Life is to short to live in a city you do not like.....

Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post
I graduate this Summer with a CJ B.S.....give me a reason to keep my baby daughter and husband here...we don't ski. We don't care about keeping up with the jones'. we like customer service and common courtesy. we don't like chains we like mom and pop restaurants and stores. we like friendly down to earth people. WE ARE NOT YUPPIES. Or country folk. We like artsy things but we are not trying to fool anyone by being apart of status directed cliche clique. We are 22 but not desperately clinging to adolesence. We like diversity but hate how we get stared down in our own neighborhood when we lived here first.

So tell me why I should stay???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post
Unless you are "upwardly mobile" or already of ample means...I don't see how any young families can start out here...its a joke...and staying for museums and cultural extras are not really conducive to everyday life.
Note: the HighlandsRanchUrbanite (oxymoron) post gave me the best chuckle I've had in a long time. I don't think it's possible to rep that post enough.

Karianne, two years ago, we moved here (Aurora!) from the paradise known as Southern California. We aren't upwardly mobile, I work hard and only have a HS diploma. (Congrats on your degree, BTW). We are a young family that came out here for a new start.

-We don't ski, or snowboard, but are looking to try it before this winter ends.
-We don't keep up or try and keep up with the Joneses, Browns, Ramirezes, or Smiths.
-Customer service and common courtesy......hmmm, maybe there is something you are doing to put off people? If you were to walk into my store (no, I don't have a store) with the attitude you exhibit in your posts, I probably wouldn't smile and be nice either.
-Chains are mostly confined to the suburbs. Mom and pop can be found anywhere, just look for 'em. IMO it is a definite tossup between 'mom and pop' and chains. I've had some great experiences at chains, I like mom and pop, but they are usually more expensive and highly overrated.
-Friendly and down to earth......I hear ya on friendly, they are a rarer breed around here. Down to earth, if you really want down to earth you really should stay here. Do not, I repeat, do not move to a urban area larger than Denver.
-We aren't yuppies, and generally don't like them either. I prefer modesty, and thankfully live in a more modest hood. You don't like/aren't country folk either, huh, so you are and you like 'regular people', right? But you also want artsy, but not status artsy. Wow, so you like drawing, coloring books and simple crafts then, right?
-I'm 25, my GF is 26, yet I've been told I act like I'm 60. There is nothing wrong with maturity, if you don't like immaturity, don't move to a small town.
-Believe me, once you don't have museums and cultural extras you will realize that they ARE conducive to everyday life. If you ever decide to live in a small town, you will have so much time on your hands that you will be DYING for a cultural extra.
-I know what you mean about getting stared down in your own hood. A few years ago, I remember going to a restaurant 1.5 miles away from my childhood home, and getting ample stares. Granted, me, my mother, brother and young sister are all giants when it comes to height, so it could have been that. It could have been that my mom was 6'3". It could have been that I have darker hair and skin than the rest of my family. It could have been my brother's bright orange Julius Caesar hairdo. It could have been my sister was being cute. The reason(s) people stare you will never know. Do you want people to pay you respect when you walk into a room, because you are native to the area? What do you expect from people?
-Or, do you think getting stared at is a racial thing? I sure hope not, and hope that isn't the reason you are being stared at, but if someone is staring at you, heck, stare back.

I tended to have the same attitude as you about where I grew up, I moved away from my hometown at the age of 20. I miss it, now, but will probably never go back. The thing about Denver metro/Colorado natives that haven't lived anywhere else is that they don't know just how good they have it. Denver is one of the finer places in the nation, IMO. I am not going to give you a reason to stay here, there might not be one, nor I am not going to recommend any particular city/town/region for you to move to. You'll have to do that research yourself. And if you think it is possible that you could be happy somewhere else, go ahead and go, it'll be one of the best experiences of your life, and will allow you to grow as a person. I wish the best for you and hope you find your happy place.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM

15 posts, read 58,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Please. Give me a break. I'm 23 years old, your same age, grew up in Aurora too. Smoky Hill 'represent! I can assure you, Denver/Aurora is the same place today as it was when you were a child, back in the good 'ol days of the 1990s (which of course was a time of great change). Nothing has changed at all, other than having gotten a little more developed. Same exact people, same culture, same attitudes. Denver hasn't changed-- you're the one who has changed!

I recommend you live in Los Angeles, California.

Good Idea, your CJ degree will really get a work out there!

Seriously though, to me this sounds like a case of youth being way too impatient and failing to see "the forest through the trees"

Ive lived a lot of places, and Denver has much to offer.

Best of luck in your search for your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver