Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Treedonkey, are you African or African American? If so, great. If not, then why do you feel the need to lecture us about the composition of all these identities. Just stop it.
Because:
a) I find Geography and Geology fascinating
b) I think not differentiating between and Geographical and Political Boundaries promotes ignorance and misunderstanding (as demonstrated here)
c) I think a question like 'Are there Africans in the Suburbs?' is inane if not specified for any particular locality, since the answer is obviously YES

The whole point of my original questions was to get some more specifics from the OP so that we could giver her a better answer, like, what country or region is she from? But she did not seem to want to answer that, which is her prerogative.

And no, I'm not African, nor African American. If I was, would that somehow alter the validity or tolerability of my argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Because:
a) I find Geography and Geology fascinating
b) I think not differentiating between and Geographical and Political Boundaries promotes ignorance and misunderstanding (as demonstrated here)
c) I think a question like 'Are there Africans in the Suburbs?' is inane if not specified for any particular locality, since the answer is obviously YES
This post is solely for treedonkey- I studied Africa (history, development, etc.) in college where I had professors of African and Middle Eastern descent- I have many friends that are African (and some arab/ middle-eastern), and I work with many African immigrants/ refugees (spanning much of the continent) in my professional life in a neighborhood of Minneapolis sometimes referred to as "Little Africa" as we have the largest population of Somalis outside of the country itself. I have NEVER heard anyone reference the Middle East as "Africa" or "African", nor Middle Easterners as Africans, save for your post on this board. It is obvious the OP is referencing race/ ethnicity, not geographical/ geological boundaries, so your exposition on this topic served nothing else but to show everyone how knowledgable you believe yourself to be. Your above letters "a" and "b" are totally unrelated to the OPs question or the spirit of it, and as to your letter "c" response- the OP actually did give specific suburbs that she was interested in, and it is clear that she was wondering if she would be one of a handful of people, or if there was a somewhat substantial population of persons of African descent in any of these areas (as well as how welcoming the environment may be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver