Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

I do know that Fort Atkinson, 30 miles southeast of Madison, has been stymied in it's desire to annex south by the refusal of Koshkonong Township to allow it.
By comparison in Iowa, the township system does not wield similar power but annexation by cities can neverthelss be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
At the end of the day, Madison has a HUGE advantage by having a major university within its limits. Des Moines would look a lot different today if either ISU or Iowa would have located here.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
KC and Omaha have satellite campuses. No reason why Des Moines couldn't have one... UIDM has a nice ring to it. It'd provide hundreds of jobs and provide a local rivalry with Drake and perhaps Northern Iowa.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I'm afraid that the time for establishing satellite campuses or more state university campuses has come & gone.
I recall that in the days of exploding college enrollments in the 1960's, it was thought that a four year state university needed to be established in western Iowa to better serve that portion of the state.
A long search & study process was undertaken & the city of Atlantic was chosen for the site amidst great fanfare by the citizens of that community.
Well, you can see where that proposal went.
It is too bad that there is not another university of some size, preferably larger than Drake University, in Des Moines proper. A nice chunk of additional college students & the resulting payroll would be a dynamic addition to the city.
But I'm going back to my perhaps tiresome advocacy for more annexations by the city of Des Moines to ensure that it is never strangled & landlocked & unable to bring in new areas for development.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
KC and Omaha have satellite campuses. No reason why Des Moines couldn't have one... UIDM has a nice ring to it. It'd provide hundreds of jobs and provide a local rivalry with Drake and perhaps Northern Iowa.
Wouldn't work well with the Iowa/Iowa State split, which is basically the driving force behind all things Iowa.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Iowa/ISU is big, but it's not the be-all, end-all. That's Alabama, where I live. UAB is a satellite of the University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), and just about every student will pull for either the U of A or Auburn before UAB.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Same deal with UNI, regarding the Iowa/ISU football game (there is no event that comes close in magnitude to that in Iowa). UNI sometimes has a better basketball team than Iowa or ISU, but it doesn't really get noticed as much as it should, besides that year they beat KU.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM

The Iowa State Fair blows the Iowa-ISU game out of the water. It does a much better job of attracting out-of-state (and even international) tourists.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM

It may attract more people and be a larger event (also over a week long), but the Iowa vs ISU game is basically what Miss Venezuela is to Venezuelans. Even if you don't watch it, you'll hear a lot about it.

Iowa doesn't offer much variety though, so it's to be expected.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It may attract more people and be a larger event (also over a week long), but the Iowa vs ISU game is basically what Miss Venezuela is to Venezuelans. Even if you don't watch it, you'll hear a lot about it.

Iowa doesn't offer much variety though, so it's to be expected.
Like Ronnie I-can't-spel-my-last-name's posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines