Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM

230 posts, read 343,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Don't sweat the small stuff. Be thankful you have the ability to carry milk with or without a bag Many more in this world don't have the ability due to wars, accidents, birth defects. Remember that next time you're frustrated.
Lol you think I'm frustrated?

Iowa is probably the easiest place in America to live your life. It's like I'm playing with cheat codes compared to FL, the land of no excuses.

Just thought it was wierd as I've never been asked in my 20+ years living in FL or anywhere in the SE U.S, Oklahoma, or TX. Apparently it's common in the upper midwest and a few places in the west.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Well if I'm carrying a lot of plastic bags in the house the milk handle is inconvenient. I can just carry a bunch of bags in each hand and they all fit the same the handle would make it harder actually
I slip my hand through the bag handles up to my wrist, grip the handle of the milk jug in my hand, then let the bags slide down my wrist until the milk jug stops them.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
I'm sure that would be too difficult to manage for the OP.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 PM

52 posts, read 125,646 times
As most of you responding missed the reason put forward by an earlier poster.....Milk is cold and it will sweat, leaving droplets of water over anything it touches till you put in your fridge. Secondly, milk is dated for freshness, and the longer it is exposed to outside heat, and sweats, the freshness goes downhill. Ever find the milk didn't stay good til the date on the carton? It should have, but it got too warm and bacteria started growing,souring the milk before it should. You can still carry your milk jug by the handle, even if it is in a plastic bag. You should actually put your milk in your frozen insulated bag you brought to take home your frozen foods if traveling very far from the grocery store. Ever wonder why the frozen section in the grocery store is almost always in the last aisle before you check out? Just trying to keep your frozen foods frozen before you check out. you never see the frozen foods in the first aisle, do you?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 PM

596 posts, read 820,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Any supermarket you go to in Iowa they ask you if you want your milk in a bag. Doesn't matter if you have 30 other bags of groceries, gallon pitchers of OJ, gallons of water. they will only ask about putting milk in a bag. Do they expect me to drink it while I'm driving? Does carrying milk in your hand carry some kind of benefit? Does anyone ever answer "No why would I want the convenience of putting my milk in a bag?" What's the deal with this? Only place in US where I've heard this question?
Why would you assume that everyone drinks milk?

I cannot drink milk because I am lactose-intolerant, therefore this question does not apply to me.
Does this make me any less human than the average milk drinker? No, it doesn't. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

I am personally offended by your post and demand it be censored.

Last edited by probablyimnotsure; 09-23-2015 at 12:15 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 10:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
As most of you responding missed the reason put forward by an earlier poster.....Milk is cold and it will sweat, leaving droplets of water over anything it touches till you put in your fridge. Secondly, milk is dated for freshness, and the longer it is exposed to outside heat, and sweats, the freshness goes downhill. Ever find the milk didn't stay good til the date on the carton? It should have, but it got too warm and bacteria started growing,souring the milk before it should. You can still carry your milk jug by the handle, even if it is in a plastic bag. You should actually put your milk in your frozen insulated bag you brought to take home your frozen foods if traveling very far from the grocery store. Ever wonder why the frozen section in the grocery store is almost always in the last aisle before you check out? Just trying to keep your frozen foods frozen before you check out. you never see the frozen foods in the first aisle, do you?
No, because we go from the store to home instead of clothes shopping on the way. You might want to change the way you shop.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
As most of you responding missed the reason put forward by an earlier poster.....Milk is cold and it will sweat, leaving droplets of water over anything it touches till you put in your fridge.
Sure, so if you're concerned about the milk sweating on your upholstery, you say "Yes I'd like my milk in a bag." But if you aren't worried about it you might say no. Plastic bags can be an environmental nuisance, so I think it's nice that they ask before putting it in a bag.

Quote:
Secondly, milk is dated for freshness, and the longer it is exposed to outside heat, and sweats, the freshness goes downhill. Ever find the milk didn't stay good til the date on the carton? It should have, but it got too warm and bacteria started growing,souring the milk before it should.
All true, and one of the first things most people figure out when they start shopping for themselves. But putting milk in a regular plastic or paper shopping bag isn't going to make one bit of difference so it's a rather irrelevant point.

Quote:
You can still carry your milk jug by the handle, even if it is in a plastic bag.
Sure you can. But if you don't want the bag and don't care about the milk sweating on something, why bother?

Quote:
You should actually put your milk in your frozen insulated bag you brought to take home your frozen foods if traveling very far from the grocery store.
I agree. But if you do this you're probably going to have to hand the cashier or bagger the insulated bag and say "Please put my milk in this." I'm sure there are some grocery stores that have their cashiers ask if you want to buy an insulated bag for your milk, but I haven't run across one. And I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP was talking about anyway.

Quote:
Ever wonder why the frozen section in the grocery store is almost always in the last aisle before you check out? Just trying to keep your frozen foods frozen before you check out. you never see the frozen foods in the first aisle, do you?
Yes, about as often as I see them on the last aisle. And most of the time I see them in the rear of the store.

And milk is usually at the farthest point possible from the registers. Reason being, it's a perishable staple that people often go in specifically to buy in between their regular shopping trips. So the store owner wants the person who is just in their to buy milk to have to walk past as much merchandise as possible in the hope that he or she will pick up something else on impulse.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:07 PM

People like you suck up all the trash printed in columns that spew conspiracy TRUTHS as to why the milk is at the back of the store. IT'S WHERE THE ROOM FOR THE COOLERS ARE, JUST LIKE THE FREEZERS FOR FROZEN ARE AND MEAT COOLERS ARE. MILK by it's size and quantity needs , along with MEAT AND FROZEN require large coolers and freezers and are most always placed at the perimeter and back of the store. Maybe you should ask someone who designs grocery store layouts if he too, like you believes all the junk science espoused by grocery column writers that always think everything is a conspiracy by to the store to gyp you, take your money and make you walk deep into the store for what you want. There design logistics for the above, not greed.

I will admit that there store chains, HINKY DINKY for one, who delighted in putting ketchup in one aisle and mustard in a different aisle.

I spent 30 yrs in the grocery business as a vendor, selling to major chains in the Midwest and visited and helped set up over 500 new stores in my career.....I never in my life ever saw a store set up with the aim of of trying to delay the customer from checking out by putting everything as far from the checkout lanes as possible. By the way things on the bottom shelf are usually there for the larger quantity packout and yes every product wants to be at eye level for best visibility.

You do have a point with the mega sized grocery stores these days where the physical size of the store overwhelms your shopping time constraints, your stamina and shopping cart size. One stop shopping can be overdone.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM

Where did I say that was the way I shopped? Observations yes. You assumed that and you know what the word assume means, don't you?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times
FWIW:

Quote:
It’s an extremely minor inconvenience when you need to pick up some milk and have to walk all the way to the back of the grocery store to get it? Everyone knows that it’s because stores want to make customers walk through the entire store so they’ll pick up some non-milk items. Why even post about this?
It’s not quite that simple, and not every retail decision is made with the goal of tricking us. NPR’s Planet Money podcast team rounded up a diverse group of grocery managers and retail experts to answer the question. The final verdict: milk is located where it is for practical reasons, not to inconvenience you.
Everyone Knows Why Milk Is In The Back Of The Grocery Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines