Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times

Advertisements

There's enough positive news coming out of Corktown these days to justify a thread dedicated to discussing new developments. I don't live in Corktown, so my hope is that people who do will update us as time goes on with all of the little things that make the neighborhood so great!

Here's a link to some recent pictures of houses in Corktown: Victorian homes in Corktown | freep.com | Life | Detroit Free Press

Also, just to provide some background for the non-Detroit posters who visit this thread, Corktown is an old Detroit neighborhood on the edge of downtown. Historically, it was predominately an Irish neighborhood and still has many of relics left over from that period, including the Gaelic League. During the past century, Corktown claimed fame as the home of Tiger Stadium. However, Corktown has steadily evolved over the years and today is the result of a mix of various influences. Most notably, Corktown has recently experienced a level of urban rejuvenation. Many houses have been renovated and restored to their original splendor, lofts have been created, new businesses like Slow's BarBQ and Mudgie's Deli have opened up, Roosevelt Park has seen a grass-roots beuatification effort, and artistic projects like the Imagination Station continue to grow and progress.

Here are some Corktown links to look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327-c5knE3M

Greater Corktown Development Corp

Welcome Corktown Historical Society

Corktown Connection | Corktown - Community Building, Beautification, Safety

Corktown Historic District

Corktown Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Actually, here is an update I can contribute: Corktown's Roosevelt Hotel has been sold out of foreclosure to Detroit real estate developer Dennis Kellafinos, who also owns buildings such as the Russell Industrial Center, and downtown bars Nikki's, Locos, and Bouzouki Lounge. According to the article, the nonprofit Imagination Station had planned to buy the building at auction to add it to a collection of other properties it has picked up in the area to develop into an art center. Hopefully, Kellafinos will do something with the building. He's done lofts in the past and this seems like a natural choice for the property. I just hope he didn't buy it to hold it over the head of the nonprofit.

Corktown’s Roosevelt Hotel sold to Boydell Development Co. - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information

Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM

30 posts, read 62,865 times
I live down town right now but am looking at a few homes in Corktown. It is an awesome part of town and great proximity to Downtown.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
Online picture news slideshow
Victorian homes in Corktown | freep.com | Life | Detroit Free Press

Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Detroit Hostel to Open in Corktown in 2011

Hostel Detroit lays out welcome mat in N. Corktown, targets April 2011 opening

With all of the expensive luxury hotels downtown for champagne drinkers, this will be a place for travelers looking to explore Detroit on a beer budget.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Smile Development of Former Tiger Stadium Site

Apparently, there are a few groups interested in building on the site of old Tiger Stadium. Among them are two nonprofit organizations looking for a place to put their headquarters, and a $20 million dollar charter school. If the site is chosen, it will be an eco-friendly, mixed-use building with offices, retail, and residential space. According to the source interviewed by Crain's, the ballfield will remain intact. Obviously, this would provide another big boost for Corktown, a neighborhood already on-the-move.

Proposals floating for Tiger Stadium Site - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information

Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Cool Upgrades to Corktown's Roosevelt Park

Roosevelt Park has been undergoing a transformation for some time now, but the most recent impovements will be a a "tulip promenade", some additional landscaping, giant capital letters spelling out the name of the park, and even solar-powered Christmas lights. The new park has been described as an "oasis" along Michigan Avenue. As Corktown and MCS have become major tourist destinations in the Detroit area, it is only appropriate that Roosevelt Park look its best. Much thanks to the volunteers that put in the time and effort to do something nice!

Roosevelt Park gets some TLC | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20101112/ENT01/11120336/Roosevelt-Park-gets-some-TLC - broken link)

Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 62,865 times
I put an offer on a house in Corktown last week. I honestly like the Tiger Stadium field the way it is. The city has left us alone with it and in turn we have taken care of it while playing ball on it. We are even planning a backstop next summer.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corktown 4 life View Post
I put an offer on a house in Corktown last week. I honestly like the Tiger Stadium field the way it is. The city has left us alone with it and in turn we have taken care of it while playing ball on it. We are even planning a backstop next summer.
Good luck on the house. I heard that the city was trying to keep people off the field during the summer... are they still doing that? I really can't think of anything more ridiculous.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Renditions of the plan for Roosevelt Park

From the Huffington Post: HuffPost's Greatest Person Of The Day: Phillip Cooley, Detroit Revitalization Advocate

The article has pictures of the planned skate park as well as a rendering of the overall design of the completed park. So far, a total of $550k has been raised from local businesses who are contributing to the park's improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit