Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath4ever View Post
I just privatized my photo albums due to some rude comments made on another forum (not Detroit's) about my pictures. I am not a professional photographer and I do not pretend to be nor do I want to be one. I take my pictures so that I can remember what the churches looked like since I don't live around any of them.

On Sunday, February 20 I visited 10 churches in a matter of 4 hours and I had to get them within 30 minutes or so before or after their services. It also takes time to drive to each church. I did not have time to set up a tripod and take perfect shots, nor do I want to invest a large amount of money in something that is just a hobby. I have an Olympus FE-330 8.0 Megapixel Camera as well as a Nikon Coolpix 14.2 Megapixel Camera that I use, and I think they work fine and I do not want to buy anything further.

From now on I'll keep my photos to myself. The link that I posted will no longer show photos. Anyone who expressed a desire to see my photos before I posted them, I'll contact you later so that you can see them. I will not reply to any new requests to view my photos.

Thank you to everyone who gave me productive help in assessing the safety of visiting my churches and for all the encouragement in producing my photos. I really do appreciate it.

Sorry,

Cath4ever

Thank you for sharing your photos of Detroit's beautiful old churches. I know it was not easy to snap those pictures in such a tight time frame. I for one thought they were beautiful.

Unfortunately, there are many rude & hateful posters on these forums. We have all encountered them at one time or another. I am sure some of the comments were hurtful, but please do not take it personally. It is their problem, not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM

55 posts, read 128,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cath4ever View Post
I just privatized my photo albums due to some rude comments made on another forum (not Detroit's) about my pictures. I am not a professional photographer and I do not pretend to be nor do I want to be one. I take my pictures so that I can remember what the churches looked like since I don't live around any of them.

On Sunday, February 20 I visited 10 churches in a matter of 4 hours and I had to get them within 30 minutes or so before or after their services. It also takes time to drive to each church. I did not have time to set up a tripod and take perfect shots, nor do I want to invest a large amount of money in something that is just a hobby. I have an Olympus FE-330 8.0 Megapixel Camera as well as a Nikon Coolpix 14.2 Megapixel Camera that I use, and I think they work fine and I do not want to buy anything further.

From now on I'll keep my photos to myself. The link that I posted will no longer show photos. Anyone who expressed a desire to see my photos before I posted them, I'll contact you later so that you can see them. I will not reply to any new requests to view my photos.

Thank you to everyone who gave me productive help in assessing the safety of visiting my churches and for all the encouragement in producing my photos. I really do appreciate it.

Sorry,

Cath4ever
That seems a bit extreme. As a photographer, I'd love to see your photos.

I can't really see how stopping everyone seeing your pictures will help that in any way. If people want to make rude comments (I imagine they were surrounding your religion, correct me if I'm wrong) then they don't need to see your photos to do that. If I know militant atheists, then they'll do it regardless. It's just a matter of rising above it.

And if it's regarding the quality of the pictures, which seems great from the thumbnails, then any real photographer or anyone who knows anything about photography wont criticise you for your work but rather for the underlying theories. Photographic theory is way past simple analysis of the image these days, it's just redundant. So rest assured that if this is the case then they don't know what they're talking about.

By hiding the pictures, you're depriving people of these great images and a window in to this great architecture.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
To: cath4ever:

Even though your post was awhile ago, I just have to comment on two things you brought up. I was married at Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island and generations of my family are from there so I encourage you to visit the Island soon so you can experience it along with getting a photo of the church. Also, my son went to Hill-Murray Catholic High School in St. Paul and his Graduation Mass was at the St. Paul Cathedral. I agree with you completely about the city of Detroit churches ~ they are pretty special, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit