Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 123,986 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in a small town up by Traverse City and other than Traverse City and one trip to the churches of Grand Rapids I do not have much experience in big cities. Furthermore, I do not have much experience in how to conduct myself in rough areas of a city. I apologize in advance if some of my questions seem overly fearful, but I just don’t have much experience in Detroit so I don’t know how bad it really is.

I know Detroit has some absolutely beautiful Catholic Churches. I would like to visit these and take photos of the insides and outsides of them if I can safely do so. I am 22, white, male, would be travelling by myself, and would be dressed in a suit and tie (because I will have attended Mass first thing that day). I would carry no cash, only credit and debit cards.
IMPORTANT: My single objective on the whole trip would be to get from one church to another, and take as many pictures as I can of the inside of each church, and a couple pictures of the outside of each church. I have no interest in walking or driving around any neighborhoods, but I would like to locate myself far enough away from each church to get the whole of each church in a nice photograph. When I get to each church I would pull in the parking lot (or along the street), go in each church, take pictures of the inside, come out, take pictures of the outside, then get in my car and leave. I would do exactly these things, and nothing else. I would do nothing else at all in the neighborhood, or anywhere else in Detroit. I would stop at no gas stations, restaurants, or stores.

I would try to go around to the churches in the morning and early afternoon, and possibly on a Sunday, but maybe on a Thursday. I know full well I should not be running around Detroit at night, and I have no intention of doing so. I think I would call each church ahead of time to ask them to be open if they would not normally be open, and also ask each church its opinion as to whether my trip to that particular church can be done safely.
I am asking any of you out there who have first-hand knowledge of Detroit as it currently is to give me some advice on whether you think it is safe to do this or not as I have it planned out. Below I am listing ten questions. Please answer as many of them as you like with as much in-depth knowledge as you have that you think might be helpful to me. Below the questions I am listing all of the churches I would like to go to. Most of them are in Detroit proper, but some of them are in the surrounding suburbs. Please let me know your thoughts on these as well. If I would be crazy to go a certain church because the neighborhood is so bad, please tell me so.

Thank you in advance. God bless you.

Questions:

1) Given all that I have said in the above paragraphs about exactly what I would be doing, could I safely do this without fear of getting shot, mugged, car jacked, or assaulted in any other way?

2) Given how I described my appearance, should I be dressed like I plan to be, or should I wear something else? Are there any certain colors or clothing styles I should not wear? (I do not wear any jewelry.)

3) Even if I would at least be safe in the immediate locations of the different churches, would I have anything to fear driving from one church to another if I had to drive through a bad neighborhood?

4) If a lot of the churches are located close to expressways, would it be safest to get back on the expressway every time or should I go down residential streets?

5) Is it safe to stop at traffic lights and stop signs if there are people walking around?

6) I would be travelling with a GPS system to get me to each church. Are there any roads that I should not go down if my GPS tells me to do so?

7) I have driven a little bit in the area of Fraser, and Rochester Hills (I believe) as well. This did not seem that bad. If I can get through that okay, would I be able to get through any part of Detroit okay?

8) Should I buy a club for my car steering wheel?

9) Is it safer to go around Detroit in the winter vs. summer? Summer vs. winter?

10) The list of churches below I created from looking at the pictures of the outsides of churches on the website of the Archdiocese of Detroit. Are there any other Catholic Churches that have both a beautiful interior and exterior that I have missed that you would recommend I visit?

Churches I would REALLY like to go to for sure:

St. Josaphat
691 E Canfield St.
Detroit

St. Joseph
1828 Jay St.
Detroit

Sweetest Heart of Mary
4440 Russell St
Detroit

St. Hedwig
3245 Junction St.
Detroit

Ste Anne de Detroit
1000 Ste. Anne
Detroit

Old St. Mary’s
646 Monroe
Detroit

St. Aloysius
1234 Washington Boulevard
Detroit

St. Florian
2626 Poland
Hamtramck

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
976 Pope John Paul II Ave.
Wyandotte

Other Churches I would like to go to, but if they are in too bad of an area I wouldn’t care to risk it:

St. Alphonsus
7469 Calhoun St.
Dearborn

Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
9844 Woodward Ave.
Detroit

Assumption Grotto
13770 Gratiot
Detroit

St. Leo
4860 15th St.
Detroit

Holy Redeemer
1721 Junction St.
Detroit

St. Francis D'Assisi
4500 Wesson
Detroit

St. Cunegunda
5900 St. Lawrence St
Detroit

Good Shepherd
1265 Parkview St.
Detroit

St. Charles Borromeo
1491 Baldwin
Detroit

Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit
629 E. Jefferson
Detroit

St. Mary of Redford
14750 Saint Marys St.
Detroit

St. Paul on the Lake
157 Lake Shore Rd.
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236

St. Charles Borromeo
8109 Swan Creek Rd.
Newport, MI 48166

St. Mary of the Annunciation
32477 Church St.
Rockwood, MI 48173

Sacred Heart
310 N. Main St.
Yale, MI 48097

Thank you again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,877 times
Wow man, you are one interesting visitor... I say that with no disrespect. Because it is 2 AM and I'm a little buzzed with nothing better to do, I will try and go through your expansive list!

My scale of safety is as follows:
1. Extremely Safe - Danger is essentially non-existent
2. Very Safe - Virtually no danger at all
3. Safe - Very little to no danger
4. Moderately Safe - Slim possibility of danger
5. Relatively Safe - Danger is unlikely but possible
6. Mildly Unsafe - Danger is possible
7. Unsafe - Somewhat dangerous
8. Dangerous - Not safe
9. Very Dangerous - High potential for danger
10. Extremely Dangerous - Area should be avoided

St. Josaphat: Very Safe
691 E Canfield St. Detroit - Google Maps

St. Joseph: Very Safe
1828 Jay St. Detroit - Google Maps

Sweetest Heart of Mary: Very Safe
4440 Russell St Detroit - Google Maps

St. Hedwig: Safe
3245 Junction St. Detroit - Google Maps

St. Anne: Safe
1000 Anne Detroit - Google Maps

Old St. Mary's: Extremely Safe
646 Monroe Detroit - Google Maps

St. Aloysius: Extremely Safe
1234 Washington Boulevard Detroit - Google Maps

St. Florian: Extremely Safe
2626 Poland Hamtramck - Google Maps

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel: Extremely Safe
976 Pope John Paul II Avenue. Wyandotte - Google Maps

St. Alphonsus: Extremely Safe
7469 Calhoun St. Dearborn - Google Maps

Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament: Moderately Safe
9844 Woodward Ave. Detroit - Google Maps

Assumption Grotto: Relatively Safe
13770 Gratiot Detroit - Google Maps

St. Leo: Mildly Unsafe
4860 15th St. Detroit - Google Maps

Holy Redeemer: Safe
1721 Junction St. Detroit - Google Maps

St. Francis D'Assisi: Relatively Safe
4500 Wesson Detroit - Google Maps

St. Cunegunda: Mildly Unsafe
5900 St. Lawrence St Detroit - Google Maps

Good Shepard: Moderately Safe
1265 Parkview St. Detroit - Google Maps

St. Charles Borremeo: Relatively Safe
1491 Baldwin Detroit - Google Maps

St. Peter and Paul: Extremely Safe
629 E. Jefferson Detroit - Google Maps

St. Mary of Redford: Mildly Unsafe
14750 Saint Marys St. Detroit - Google Maps

St. Paul on the Lake: Extremely Safe
157 Lake Shore Rd. Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236 - Google Maps

St. Charles Borremeo: Extremely Safe
8109 Swan Creek Rd. Newport, MI 48166 - Google Maps

St. Mary of the Annunciation: Extremely Safe
32477 Church St. Rockwood, MI 48173 - Google Maps

Sacred Heart: Extremely Safe
310 N. Main St. Yale, MI 48097 - Google Maps

The answers to your questions:

1) You should not be afraid to travel to any of these locations, especially during daytime hours. The majority of these churches are in or around downtown or are in decent neighborhoods. A few are sketchy but from the worst areas of Detroit. You'll be fine.

2) Dress like a normal human being.

3) Your GPS may send you through some rough neighborhoods. That's okay. Try and take in what you see, it will be a good experience. Remember that abandonment doesn't always equal dangerous.

4) For convenience, just take whatever route is quicker. Most of the churches on your list are close to each other, while some are in far-flung suburbs to the south (downriver). I would hit all of those after leaving the city, i.e. Wyandotte, Newport, Rockford, etc.

5) Yes, obey the traffic signs and signals. This is not some kind of apocalyptic world where you can just run red lights. People and children live near all of the areas you will be traveling so be respectful. Act like you would if you were driving through your own neighborhood. Obviously, use common sense. If someone shady approaches your car, just drive off. However, that possibility is extremely remote. I live in Detroit and that has never happened to me or anyone I have ever known.

6) Follow your GPS. It will get you where you want to go. Almost all of the churches are on major thoroughfares or just a few streets in.

7) You were in the suburbs, which for the most part are safe. Much of Detroit is also safe, but some areas can deteriorate quickly, however, based on the locations I mapped, you should be totally fine. Like I said, you will see abandoned buildings. Detroit's population has decreased by half so there is blight that has yet to be cleared, but that does not mean the area is dangerous, only less inhabited.

8) You don't need to buy a club unless you drive an Italian sports car, in which case, you should buy a club regardless. Don't leave valuables out in the open when you leave your car. People are poor and destitute, and your $300 GPS unit might look appealing to a person who hasn't eaten in days. Lock your doors and secure your valuables and you should be fine. If the area looks remote, park in the highest traffic area to avoid leaving your property isolated. This advice translates to all big cities.

9) Not sure if season affects safety, but things will look nicer in the summer and the streets will be easier to navigate. I suggest going around late May when the flowers are in bloom. You'll need the extra daylight hours if you want to see all of these churches in one day. Start early.

10) There are hundreds of beautiful churches in Detroit. Not all of them are Catholic. I don't have a specific list, but driving north on Woodward from downtown, you will see many. I spent an entire day about 4 years ago exploring them. Most will not be open, but sometimes you can knock loud enough to get a clergyman to let you in. The architecture on the inside is some of these churches is stunning.

If you do visit these churches, please pray for my forlorn soul.

Best Wishes,

~ForStarters

Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Since ForStarters has done such an outstanding job, I will only add the following:
  • These churches are not kept open unless mass is taking place, and I presume many don't have staff available to everyone who stops by for some pictures. Also, if you go during service, it wouldn't be appropriate to be snapping photos during mass, as I'm sure you're aware. And timing your visits to avoid mass would require a great deal of planning. Writing the churches before hand may help.
  • I've personally driven around Detroit to take pictures of these churches and other than the obvious precautions, like not leaving your car unmonitored while suspicious looking persons are wandering around, I've never felt in danger. If you go during mass times, there should be enough other people/cars around that you won't attract unwanted attention.
  • I disagree with some of ForStarters safety rankings, and would suggest you personally evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis as you go along. An "extremely safe" ranking shouldn't be implied as leaving the car windows rolled down on your brand new car as you wonder around alone in your suit with an expensive camera, etc.
  • Although it would be considerate to dress up if you got personal assistance from the church, I would recommend you dress down a bit if/when you are taking pictures of the exterior, especialy outside of mass times. No sense in drawing attention to yourself.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
  • I disagree with some of ForStarters safety rankings, and would suggest you personally evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis as you go along. An "extremely safe" ranking shouldn't be implied as leaving the car windows rolled down on your brand new car as you wonder around alone in your suit with an expensive camera, etc.
Agreed. I suppose I should have clarified that when I said "extremely safe" I meant the possibility of being in physical danger is essentially non-existent in those locations. Like Retroit stated, always lock your stuff up. You can just as easily be ripped off in the best part of town as you can in the worst. Also keep in mind that different people have different perceptions of dangerousness or may be more street savvy than others. My tolerance my be higher than yours just based on life-experience. If at any point you feel unsafe, just snap a picture from your window and keep on driving.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM

89 posts, read 258,691 times
Hi there:

I've worked in many of these churches as a musician for about 15 years, and I don't think you will have any problem with safety if you visit the churches in the daytime or dusk. Many of these churches in somewhat sketchy areas have their own security people in the parking lots. As a single female, I personally don't worry about my safety when visiting these churches - even when it is a late-night mass (Easter Vigil or Christmas Eve Midnight masses, getting out around 1:30 or 2am). Of course, I am used to working in the city, and I realize that the hype about random crime is far more overblown than reality. In much rougher parts of the city, I have felt comfortable at churches. The chance of you getting in a serious car accident in TC is far more likely than you getting shot or mugged at any of these churches!

I think you would be smart to call ahead to the churches you'd like to visit. You'll be able to make sure staff is there, and that they don't mind you photographing in the church. Some churches may welcome your visit, others may have specific areas for no photographs or limit when they will allow photography. Church staff will likely give you a tour as well. Then, you won't feel alone at all, plus they may point out some intriguing sights you might not notice at first glance.

I wouldn't worry about wearing something slightly nice to go in the churches or photograph from the outside (not jeans, but you don't have to do your Sunday best. Michigan is not a highly formal place for dress).

One of the keys to not being a target for crime is to be aware of your surroundings, but don't look paranoid. When you are alone, act confidently. Walk with a sense of purpose, stand with confidence and take your photos. If people from the street chat with you, be nice - most likely, they are simply being friendly or perhaps might ask for change. I've never been "harassed" by a street person in Detroit - simply asked for change, sometimes I give and sometimes I don't. Compared to Boston, the people living on the streets are much more friendly here. And, the chance of you being approached near one of these churches isn't that high. Put a dollar in each pocket so you can easily reach for change without going into your purse, should the opportunity to help someone be there.

Just lock your car and don't leave anything obviously expensive, such as camera equipment, a purse or laptop, visible in the car. Frankly, I see that as common sense wherever I am.

I must recommend that a few of the more beautiful churches (IMHO) are Blessed Sacrament, Old St. Mary's, St. Anne's, and Assumption Grotto (both the gated grounds and the church there are lovely). Since you've also mentioned a few suburban churches, let me add two to your list: St. Mary's in Monroe and the old stone chapel at St. Hugo of the Hills in Bloomfield Hills. St. Hugo's main church is modern and very interesting, but the stone chapel has that old cathedral style chapel feel - very lovely. The stained glass and church of Christ Church in Bloomfield Hills (Episcopal) is also very beautiful.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 123,986 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for your replies thus far.

When I visited the churches of Grand Rapids I went on a Sunday morning because I knew they would all be open. I figured there would probably be less bad things that could happen to me on a Sunday morning too. Going then really worked out great as 7 of the 8 churches I visited were open and 6 of those 7 that were open I got to when Mass was already over. I of course would not walk around a church taking pictures during Mass, so I just waited until Mass was over at Saint Mary's in Grand Rapids before I went in to take pictures there. I think going on a Sunday morning to Detroit would work out best too, since I would be around more people at those churches and I know they would all be open sometime on Sunday morning.

I have a list of all the churches I would want to go to, as well as their Mass times and phone numbers, so if I do go sometime I would coordinate that to try to get to each church towards the end of a Mass, as well as trying to drive the least distance between different churches.

I never leave my car windows down or my doors unlocked even when I'm in Traverse City, so I definitely would not do that in Detroit. I would also hide my GPS when I would get out of my car.

I don't think I would probably be in any of the churches long enough to allow for someone to break into my car and steal it or something in it. If I went on a Sunday morning with parishioners around that possibility would be even more remote. I think my overarching concern with driving to and in Detroit would be whether criminals take gun shots at random people trying to go to church. I know that might sound overly hysterical and I assume this doesn't happen but with no real first-hand experience of Detroit, and hearing a lot of bad things about Detroit, I just couldn't know for sure. I certainly would not be looking for trouble or trying to do anything that I think might bring me trouble from passersby.

ForStarters, your forlorn soul will be in my prayers whether or not I visit Detroit.

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM

89 posts, read 258,691 times
Having lived and worked in Detroit for decades, I have never heard of someone taking gunshots at random people going to church. I can't imagine you would have any issues with the plan you describe. I think you'll actually find Detroit to be far more friendly and less dangerous than most suburbanites and media types describe. The worst critics of this city are people who never actually go to it, or haven't been there in decades. I can tell you that when I went to school at Wayne in the 1980s, it was far less safe and pleasant than it is now - and again, I never had an issue.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,883 times
A friend of mine had his catalytic converter sawed off his minivan at Sweetest Heart of Mary. Then again, some suburban churches have crime issues too- St. Veronica's in Eastpointe has car thefts during Mass. a Club isn't a bad idea, especially if you have a Chrysler or a full size GM truck; these two are pretty common theft targets. Some city churches have security in the parking lots during Masses- Assumption Grotto has one (neighborhood is nearly rotten to the core at this point but the church is pretty safe and it's one of the few Detroit churches not near death) and St. Jude on East 7 Mile has one too and so does the cathedral.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,524 times
If you have some time visit the "Islamic center of America" in Dearborn. Not far from Detroit and is the Largest Mosque in the U.S.

I don't want you to think I'm trying to convert you or anything as I'm a Christian too. It's just nice to broaden your learning of other religions and even discover some silmarties between your religion and different kinds of other religions.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

449 posts, read 934,206 times
Take a friend with you and wear casual clothes. What you will be doing could draw some unwanted attention. Stay near your vehicle and do not let anyone approach you.

Detroit isn't like driving behind enemy lines but you don't want to appear out of place. Criminals select their victims based on behavior and taking pictures of Churches has victim written all over it. You want to appear as though you are there for definite purpose and know where you are and what you are doing. If you keep your wits about you and stay alert you will probably be fine. But always have an escape route in mind. And what ever you do, do not go near a vacant building or into one that is not open for business. I carry a gun and would be nervous going into an abandon building or other concealed area. A criminal sees you walking into an ally to get a shot and you might be in big trouble.

Just use your head, stay near your car and when in doubt leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit