Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 AM

214 posts, read 725,125 times

Advertisements

26/M and 25/F

Im selling my company and houses and were heading to Houston, TX!

Damn I'm Excited, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Here's a comparison of taxes by state. Higher number ranking (1 - 50) is better. Tennessee ranks #47 on state and local taxes. Michigan ranks 16. North Carolina ranks 23. Arizona ranks 32.

Best state for state and local taxes: Alaska
Worst state for state and local taxes: Maine

The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money

I moved to Tennessee in May from Maryland. My rent went down $350 per month for a place that is brand new and twice as big (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) as the one I moved from (a savings of $4200 per year). I figure if they raise my rent $50 per year, it will take until 2014 to match the rent I was paying in 2007 in MD for a much smaller place. My car insurance went down $300 per year (same insurance company, same policy, same car - probably could have gotten it cheaper if I shopped around). For a month where the temperature got into the 90s every single day and with the air conditioner on all of the time (set at 72), all electric appliances including washer/dryer/dishwasher (and I'm retired so I'm home more using more electricity than I was when I was working), my bill was $58.18, the highest it has been since I moved here and the highest it is likely to be for the year. Gasoline is cheaper here than MD but I attribute that huge savings to no longer having to have to commute to work. Yep, they tax food here but I have to tell you that I have more money now retired than I did when I was working at my highest level of salary. And I have to say something else if anyone is thinking of retiring to Tennessee from Michigan, pick your retirement town wisely. Some places have a ton of free activities (fairs/festivals, concerts, arts&craft shows, re-enactments, guest speakers, outdoor activities, etc.) going on every week. Look for those towns. And, don't move to a place where you have to drive for a half hour or more to get to things you need/do often and you'll find a huge savings in gasoline.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 40,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslr View Post
As I listen to the news and read these forum threads, it's painfully obvious that all sorts people are leaving Michigan for a variety of reasons. Heck, I don't blame you I'm leaving in January. So I thought as a service to others who are relocating, let's list off who we are, where were going, and why...I'll start.

28, M, Royal Oak. Austin, Texas because it has a booming economy, no winter, and people my age. Metro-Detroit is getting depressing and our state's ridiculous debt is gonna catch up to us eventually.
mslr,

I/we are looking to leave mi as well but haven't figure out yet to where. I've researched a lot: Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Diego, etc but still not convinced. We are not only looking for cheap housing (well, that also) but foremost for a place that has a lot to offer in culture, social life, rising economy etc. Can you tell more about Austin?

Thanks.
Fleur

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM

151 posts, read 641,201 times
Already here!! I left the Detroit area in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
26/M and 25/F

Im selling my company and houses and were heading to Houston, TX!

Damn I'm Excited, too!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,652 times
Default Atlanta

Choose to move to Atlanta. Better economy,I'm a nursing student and loans are forgivable there I you go work for them for 2 years. Will be moving in Jan.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM

34 posts, read 165,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isola View Post
mslr,

I/we are looking to leave mi as well but haven't figure out yet to where. I've researched a lot: Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Diego, etc but still not convinced. We are not only looking for cheap housing (well, that also) but foremost for a place that has a lot to offer in culture, social life, rising economy etc. Can you tell more about Austin?

Thanks.
Fleur
Austin's economy is booming, as is the population. It is very High-Tech centric though, so it can be difficult to find a job non-related to that industry. Dell and Whole Foods is headquartered there. It is a very well educated city. It is an outdoorsy city, with lots of hiking, biking, swimming stuff to do. from what i understand it is a younger person's city (meaning 20 and 30 somethings). however, alot of families from CA are moving there because the cost of living pales in comparison to CA. They claim to be the Live Music Capital of the Country. And although, that is debatable they have more outdoor live music venues and bars than I have seen in any comparablly-sized city.

It gets HOT in the summer. 100s+ for many days. summer is late May to late Sep. their fall, winter, and spring can't be beat tho and the sun shines over 300 days a year there. That is a big reason why I want to be there. I've grown tired of the Gray Dome that encapsulates MI from NOV thru APR.

Let me know what else you'd like to know!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM

189 posts, read 219,490 times
Tennessee-good choice for relocation....I stayed in Michigan long as I could, until I lost my house and gave keys to the car to the bank...,that was 4 years ago. ...I filled out 'will relocate' on my resumes, was hired next day, no-brainer, so long Michigan.My company offers permanent 'posts', though I have relocated a few times....Due to bad experiences with city Detroit, when I was hired for Lexington,KY I searched hard for 'suburban' housing, no thought of living in a large city! WRONG ! I was surprised, could have lived safely IN that city anyways. (Check out Lexington, reminded me of Ann Arbor, but with a historic 'center city') Then Chattanooga,TN for 2 years- This time I did live 'in the city limits'. There were rough areas, but still, nothing like Detroit!...BONUS- no income tax in TN. Sales tax is usually around 9%, but the property taxes are low....BEWARE though- 'Yankees' are not welcomed by some of the old 'rebs' there. That 'southern charm' they'll smile, etc, but listen to em' talk when they think everyone in the room was 'born there'....Example- In a bar one time, someone told me "you ain't from here, you got an accent, Yankee" My reply(oops) "No, YOU have the accent" (guess the rest)

Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,998 times
I left for Tampa a year ago. I miss so many things about Detroit but it's so nice to live in a place where everything is at your fingertips and it's only getting better!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:09 AM

203 posts, read 810,567 times
we left in june 07. we went to gilbert az.
i couldnt sell my home. so i`m a landlord from 2200miles.
its dec 1st and temps in the 60-70`s. lots of work. we love it
i will only go back to dearborn to close on my house if i can ever sell it.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I left Michigan but not for the economy or a job but for the sun. The SW is very nice in many ways -- you can live where it's 65 degrees and sunny in the dead of winter -- drive a couple miles and find all the snow you could want, take the kids sledding, hike around in the snow, eat a nice meal and warm up and head back to 65 degrees.

Now I don't know if I could live without the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit