Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

223 posts, read 524,162 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information on the neighborhood where Fisher Rd is located in Grosse Pointe. Specifically schools (Catholic & Public), demographics, shopping, commute to airport,little league & travel baseball programs, baseball training facilities. We are relocating to the area this summer with an 11 year old son. Thanks!

Fisher Rd, Grosse Pointe, MI 48230 - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
For decades, "The Pointes" were considered to be among the most upscale and most educated communities not only in the Detroit area, but in the whole USA.

Today, they have been overshadowed by some upscale communities in central Oakland County, and are no longer compared to Beverly Hills (CA) or The Hamptons, but are still known as upscale, stable and safe communities.

Fisher Rd. forms the border between City of Grosse Pointe to the west and Grosse Pointe Farms to the east. GP City is probably the most traditional of the Pointes.

Grosse Pointe South High School is ON Fisher Rd (IIRC), and is the preferred over the other high school in the Pointes (GP North).

The only airport in the area with scheduled passenger service is Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW). About a 35 mile drive - through the metro area. One inconvenience of the East Side in general.

Youth programs may be hard to find. The Pointes have a very high median age.

Good luck with the move!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM

385 posts, read 721,910 times
i drove down gp yesterday and was like damn... they got green grass...

Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
That area is still lovely. One (possibly) minor issue is that a few of those streets are one way, can't remember which...parking is allowed on one side and the street is so narrow it would be hard to back out of your driveway, but otherwise a lovely place. There's a small shopping area on Fisher right by the high school, too. BTW Bishop Airport up near Flint has passenger service and is waayy easier to use than DTW. DTW is just under thirty miles from the Pointes- the airport exit is approximately 196 and the GP exits are in the low 220s. Traffic to and from the airport is nearly effortless as long as it's not rush hour and the roads are clear of snow and ice. As for Catholic schools in GP, St. Clare in the Park might still have one, St. Joan in St. Clair Shores (almost within sight of the Woods), and possibly one more. Catholic high schools are Regina (girls) and de la Salle (boys) up in north Warren (or Brother Rice and Marian out by Birmingham if you're snobbish) and Bishop Foley (co-ed) in Madison Heights. The first four are held in high esteem, the third, probably about as good, but I don't hear much about it anymore (though I know a lot of alumni) and don't know about its modern performance.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM

90 posts, read 200,193 times
Grosse Pointe Farms is beautiful - we actually looked at three homes in the Farms today (we currently live in Grosse Pointe Park and are renting - moved to MI from CT last August). Fisher Road has the High School and some shopping, as well as the Grosse Pointe Theatre. Can't go wrong with public schools - esp. in the Farms. Highly competitive and among the best in the state according to MEAP scores. GP South is something crazy like the #2 or #3 ranked HS in the state (MEAP scores), and among the top 100 in the nation (I think by Newsweek, this stat came from a realtor). You'll also have St. Paul's Catholic Church (K-8) & its school down the street on the lake (they just completed a $7 million renovation), and Grosse Pointe Academy (K-8), and further in Grosse Pointe Woods is University Liggett School (K-12). Other Catholics schools that I know people with children attending are St. Clare of Montefalco (Park) and Our Lady Star of the Sea (Farms, or maybe the Woods). For boys, there is also U of Detroit -- a Jesuit High School. My husband has met alot of guys that graduated from there (he's a BC High alum himself).

Grosse Pointe Little League has just started and is a great program. I have friends with sons that are involved and they are very happy with it. It's pretty intense from what I hear -- some of the teams have been state and regional champs. Overall, there are lots of sports programs in the Pointe for your son to choose from. The Farms also has a great residents only park (Pier Park) that you should check out on Lakeshore Drive.

The demographics have shifted in the Pointes -- esp. the Farms, Park and Woods -- in the last decade. Lots of families moving in and older residents moving out as their children graduate from school.

Shopping is very limited, but that doesn't seem to both most residents. You have everything you'll need in terms of a supermarket (Kroger & Trader Joe's in adition to the specialty markets, Fresh Farms on Fisher Road, and Village Market on Mack in the Farms), drugstores (CVS & Rite Aide), and small mom and pop shops. You have to drive a solid 30-45 minutes to get to a real mall -- either Somerset in Troy or Partridge Creek up on M-59.

It takes 30 minutes to get to the airport - an easy drive on 94 West. We do it often enough and have a friend who runs a terminal there, and he commutes every day from Grosse Pointe Park.

Best of luck with your house hunt! I know I am enjoying the hunt myself right now, lots of great homes to choose from.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Jesuit High School is on the west side of Detroit, in a decent area, afaik. It's not close but it's only a few miles further than the high schools in north Warren. There is also shopping at Eastland (just west of the Woods) which has a nice Target, a decent Macy's, Lowe's, and Home Depot. There are crime issues but where isn't there crime nowadays. There is a Barnes and Noble at Pointe Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit