Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious why this city is singled out for scrutiny and horrible comments? Most of the threads/posts about Detroit are negative or contain unpleasant pictures of the city. Posters fish out the threads just to continue the cycle of demeaning this city. I read through the threads but refrain from commenting as to not get into unnecessary debates but I am concerned about this city. I think Detroit supporters should defend this city more.

I wish there was more good to be said about Detroit than bad. When we lived in metro Detroit we visited the city all the time and I even worked in the New Center area. As with ANY city, don't go looking for trouble or unpleasant areas. Find out where the decent places are and hang out there. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
So we should ignore all of Detroit's problems and all of the people in the city that are suffering?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So we should ignore all of Detroit's problems and all of the people in the city that are suffering?
yep, because you live in Eastpointe and not Detroit

Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I just don't think the whole city is as bad as it's made out to be that's all. We never lived in the inner city but we visited often especially for entertainment. I remember when there was no Hard Rock Cafe. Just seems like the city has made a decent turn around and now needs more support.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Locally, a lot of people like to blame everything on Detroit or on Michgian when they have failed personally. They can say "It is not my fault, it is Detroit", or "It is Michigan" You will notice that these people complain endlessly, absolutely seethe hatred for Detroit and/or Michigan, but they do not move. Why? Becuase if they moved and continued to fail, they would have no excuses left. Instead of blaming their community, such people should work on figuring out what makes them feel like a failure, and correct it.

Nationally people like to pick on Detroit because it makes dramatic water cooler gossip, or news. Drama is always good. If you make up or exaggerate a story about how awful Detroit is, people will believe it without calling your bluff. After all, isn't the condition of Detroit constnaly on the news. Also if you make somewhere else out to be truely horrible, then you can feel like you made a decent choice in your place to live "At least I did not choose to live there." For a time, New York, then Los Angeles were the unfortuante recipient of this attention and exaggeration. Now it is Detroit, probably other cities enjoyed this attention in between, and eventually the focus will move on to some other City.

What is interesting is that Detroit is statistically the same as many other cities in things like crime, unemployment, corruption, even decay. Detroit leads the way in some things, especially decay, buecause it has fallen so far. Other cities with problems similar to Detroit were never as large or as nice as Detroit once was. Thus, the contrast presents an opportunity for dramatic exaggeration that many people find tyhemselves unable to avoid, especially the media.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,349,017 times
Having a Mayor that is now in jail can be answer the "why" question.

Kuami Kilpatrick Mayor of Detroit jailed 2012 Date Set For Kilpatrick Corruption Case - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit for recent news.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Locally, a lot of people like to blame everything on Detroit or on Michgian when they have failed personally. They can say "It is not my fault, it is Detroit", or "It is Michigan" You will notice that these people complain endlessly, absolutely seethe hatred for Detroit and/or Michigan, but they do not move. Why? Becuase if they moved and continued to fail, they would have no excuses left. Instead of blaming their community, such people should work on figuring out what makes them feel like a failure, and correct it.

Nationally people like to pick on Detroit because it makes dramatic water cooler gossip, or news. Drama is always good. If you make up or exaggerate a story about how awful Detroit is, people will believe it without calling your bluff. After all, isn't the condition of Detroit constnaly on the news. Also if you make somewhere else out to be truely horrible, then you can feel like you made a decent choice in your place to live "At least I did not choose to live there." For a time, New York, then Los Angeles were the unfortuante recipient of this attention and exaggeration. Now it is Detroit, probably other cities enjoyed this attention in between, and eventually the focus will move on to some other City.

What is interesting is that Detroit is statistically the same as many other cities in things like crime, unemployment, corruption, even decay. Detroit leads the way in some things, especially decay, buecause it has fallen so far. Other cities with problems similar to Detroit were never as large or as nice as Detroit once was. Thus, the contrast presents an opportunity for dramatic exaggeration that many people find tyhemselves unable to avoid, especially the media.
Yup. You are right. I just want to speak on behalf of someone who just moved to Lithionia GA from the city of Detroit less than 1-2 months ago. I lived near 7 mile and Prevost and before that Oakman Blvd near Tireman. People who don't live in Detroit have no idea how it is. They hear rumors and just want to make gossip and have something "cool" to talk about but its just as much hype than it is facts. The only bad thing it has is a declined auto industry which affected the economy. I moved to GA because my family is here and I want to be close to them and I snagged a nice job fast. I will be back in Detroit for holidays and throughout the summer. I would have stayed if I had a job.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Having a Mayor that is now in jail can be answer the "why" question.

Kuami Kilpatrick Mayor of Detroit jailed [URL="http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27536679/detail.html"]2012 Date Set For Kilpatrick Corruption Case - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit[/URL] for recent news.
And where you live? Under a rock? That comment was so ignorant and means nothing. First of all, you spelled his name wrong and what major city does not have corrupt government? You don't listen to or read national news? Get your head out of the sand and open your eyes. Stop seeing what you want to see. It is what it is.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I just don't think the whole city is as bad as it's made out to be that's all. We never lived in the inner city but we visited often especially for entertainment. I remember when there was no Hard Rock Cafe. Just seems like the city has made a decent turn around and now needs more support.
Hey I see you are in Atlanta. I'm in Lithonia but do you meet up with other Detroiters who live here? I heard they have a Detroit reunion or something like that. Heard of it?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
yep, because you live in Eastpointe and not Detroit
Political boundary lines are not brick walls. My interest in areas is based on my proximity to them, not on whether I am technically a resident of them. As I've said before, I'm closer to more areas of Detroit than many Detroiters are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit