Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times

Advertisements

Would Detroit Elect A White Mayor? « CBS Detroit

Personally, I don't care if the Mayor was from Jupiter or Mars. As long as he can get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I agree with you. However who the mayor is doesn't matter if the city has no money. Detroit's problems will take years to solve. I don't think everybody realizes this.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Nor does it matter if there are DOLTS and IMBECILES on city council. I am sorry to hear Kwame Kenyatta will not seek reelection. Will the voters replace him with a voice of reason or add to the lunacy that exists on the council?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
That was an interesting article.

Rev. Charles Williams sounds like an instigator.

This part of the article really annoyed me, when Williams was asked about his criticism of a Detroit News column:

Finley asked Williams if he had read the column. “I know how to read, even though I’m black, I know how to read,” Williams said.

Oh, come on. That is such a B.S. answer. Sounds like you did NOT read the column, hence the ultra-defensive, race-baiting answer. Way to be mature, Reverend. Nice job of completely avoiding the question and changing the subject to race.

Last edited by michigan83; 05-04-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
It's a pretty pointless article from a pragmatic standpoint.

The law requires that anyone who runs for mayor is a resident of Detroit, and the voter base is well over 80% black in a town with some of the worst racial tension in the country.

Based on the numbers in other city (and Detroit's numbers in the past), the percentage of caucasian people in Detroit would have to be at least 40% for a white candidate to seriously consider a political position in Detroit, run and get elected.

EDIT: On top of all that, I doubt Detroiters will consider electing yet another businessman, after the ongoing disasters with Bing and Snyder. It's especially true when these businessmen will only care about heavily investing in 2% of the city where as the services and quality continue to steadily (in some cases rapidly decline) in the rest of the city, which I'm thinking is by design to shove that otherwise DOA Detroit works project down the pipeline (force the depopulation of most of the city outside of downtown through austerity measures without dedicating any taxpayer funds to eminent domain).

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's a pretty pointless article from a pragmatic standpoint.

The law requires that anyone who runs for mayor is a resident of Detroit, and the voter base is well over 80% black in a town with some of the worst racial tension in the country.

Based on the numbers in other city (and Detroit's numbers in the past), the percentage of caucasian people in Detroit would have to be at least 40% for a white candidate to seriously consider a political position in Detroit, run and get elected.

EDIT: On top of all that, I doubt Detroiters will consider electing yet another businessman, after the ongoing disasters with Bing and Snyder. It's especially true when these businessmen will only care about heavily investing in 2% of the city where as the services and quality continue to steadily (in some cases rapidly decline) in the rest of the city, which I'm thinking is by design to shove that otherwise DOA Detroit works project down the pipeline (force the depopulation of most of the city outside of downtown through austerity measures without dedicating any taxpayer funds to eminent domain).
He's moving into Palmer Woods this week.

Mike Duggan for Detroit? DMC head exploring options but offended by term 'white mayor' | MLive.com

The audio makes it seem like he's not really planning on running, but I guess people can't move into Detroit without being questioned now. Not like he wanted to be closer to his job or anything.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
He's moving into Palmer Woods this week.

Mike Duggan for Detroit? DMC head exploring options but offended by term 'white mayor' | MLive.com

The audio makes it seem like he's not really planning on running, but I guess people can't move into Detroit without being questioned now. Not like he wanted to be closer to his job or anything.
The question I would be asking, instead of a silly one such as if he would be elected as Mayor, is will he actually be occupying the home in Palmer Woods, or will he simply be purchasing it just to claim he lives in Detroit while still occupying his home somewhere in Oakland County (or Grosse Pointe, I don't know where he lives presently and until now I didn't care).

It's just like with the CEO of Chrysler. Just beause he's going to have a office downtown doens't mean HE'S going to be occupying that office downtown.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The question I would be asking, instead of a silly one such as if he would be elected as Mayor, is will he actually be occupying the home in Palmer Woods, or will he simply be purchasing it just to claim he lives in Detroit while still occupying his home somewhere in Oakland County (or Grosse Pointe, I don't know where he lives presently and until now I didn't care).

It's just like with the CEO of Chrysler. Just beause he's going to have a office downtown doens't mean HE'S going to be occupying that office downtown.
He's coming from Livonia.

It could be possible, but if he weren't going to run for mayor what difference would it make? He works at the DMC so I'd presume he already spends more than enough time in and around the city.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
There are still too many racists in Detroit.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I think a large number of Detroit residents are sick of the same old garbage, but many are not. There are still many leaders playing on and succeeeding with the same old shtick. "This is OUR city. Stay out."

Frankly I think the City is better off with a black mayor for now. It helps to avoid distractions when anyone who dislikes his or her policies decries them as racist, especially when they have no logical or practical reason to oppose a policy. The City desperately needs good and strong leadership both on the council and in the mayors office. However I think they can readily find that leadership from amongst the black population. I am not opposed to a white mayor in Detroit and I think a white councilperson could potnetially be a good thing for the council (both for perception and perspective), however I think that a black mayor can get more done more effectively and efficiently in the current atmosphere in the city. A black mayor who does not care about skin color is ideal. the problem is who woudl want that job? the City is facing some tough realities. No matter what:

1. Portions of the city must be depopulated and abandoned and the population must be concentrated in areas where the City cna still provide services.

2. More cuts both to services and to employement and employee benefits are going to be necessary.

3. The City iwll have to renege on some of its promises, including some retirement benefits for employees. While this is a bad thing, it is necessary, the City does ot have and cannot generate the money to keep its promses.

4. The City either needs to be reformed fromt he top down to the lowest level (and most of the managment and employees must be terminated in order to eliminate the current culture of incompetence, graft and self serving attitude); or they will need to privatize most of the City's services and projects. They simply cannot continue as they have for the past 4 decades or more. The money is gone. They have to start getting value for the moeny they have or they will not be able to function.

None of this will be popular. None of this will show any benefit in the immediate short term. Thus, people will see cuts and things will not improve. THe mayor will be blamed and the guy who rpelaces the mayor who does the necessary but nasty moves, will end up getting the credit when things finally start to come together and the City government gets back on its feet.

So who woudl want that job? I fear that any competent and stong enough to do what needs to be done, will be too smart to take it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit