Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 PM

171 posts, read 188,668 times

Advertisements

Now that Mike Duggan has won the mayor's race, what would you like for him to accomplish realistically? Were you honestly surprised that Detroit elected a white mayor for the first time in 40 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 PM

218 posts, read 376,320 times
I'd like to see some serious and efficient investment in the core. I don't understand why they can't take a nodal approach; start with one block - give it proper policing, fix the streets, entice developers to renovate the properties, etc. There's no need to tackle the whole city at once as doing it block by block will increase the city's tax base gradually and will lower the initial monetary burden of development on the city. Maybe they could even have a deal where the developers end up paying the up front cost for street renovation, etc. by offering a tax credit (i.e. no property tax for X years, until it is paid off). Those are just some idea, but there is no denying that this is going to be a very tough time for Detroit. I hope the results pay off sooner rather than later.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2c313 View Post
Now that Mike Duggan has won the mayor's race, what would you like for him to accomplish realistically? Were you honestly surprised that Detroit elected a white mayor for the first time in 40 years?

Dtroit did NOT elect a "white" mayor, Detroit elected the person they thought was the BEST person for the job.

Before I start teling him what to do, I will wait and see what is done / planned in the next 60-90 days. He has to get the new council to work towards solving real problems and he has to work in the shadow of the EM...

Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
In other new racial history, Detroit also got it's first Latino council member (which was sort of expected to happen with how the districts are set up).

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
In other new racial history, Detroit also got it's first Latino council member (which was sort of expected to happen with how the districts are set up).
Which is probably why districting is a good idea. The council should be made up of people from all areas of the city, not just Palmer Woods, Rosedale, University District and other affluent neighborhoods.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
First off, race still matters, whether consciously or subconsciously, in America. That is particularly true for the 40 and over crowd and is less true for the 25 and under crowd. However, the mindset of the 40 and over crowd, who have most of the money, is of particular importance. I am not one to stick my head in the sand hoping that issues go away by not talking about them. I do not know where ignoring a problem is ever the most efficacious means of solving a problem.

Secondly, that being said, what a white mayor does for the city of Detroit is to restore a degree of confidence among many whites. Whether people want to admit it or not, the birth, rise and decline of Detroit were primarily all white driven. Whites are the majority in this nation and metropolitan area and they possess a disproportionate share of the income and wealth for investment. Hence, this demographic can make or break an area based upon whether they gain or lose confidence in it. Economics is all about CONFIDENCE. I believe whites will have increased confidence in the city. I think it burst the perception that blacks just want a black city and hence are unwelcoming to whites, plus, some people simply lack confidence in black leadership ability. Let’s not pretend that people like that do not exist because they do, especially when we are talking about the 40 and over crowds.

Finally, I think that it is good for Detroit that Mike Duggan is elected, but it’s not good for the image of African American leadership. Black leadership in Detroit is associated with the era of decline. You can go to any forum and read where people link the black leadership to the decline of Detroit. Nominally, this is true, but it was the white reaction to black leadership and a growing black population, that created the reaction of decline. However, the latter is not the story that gets told. People just associate the decline with black corrupt leaders. Now, when the city is on the rebound and is restructuring its debt so that it is tenable for a city of its size and means, the city is poised for a comeback and that comeback will have white face, while the decline will have a black face.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
First off, race still matters, whether consciously or subconsciously, in America. That is particularly true for the 40 and over crowd and is less true for the 25 and under crowd. However, the mindset of the 40 and over crowd, who have most of the money, is of particular importance. I am not one to stick my head in the sand hoping that issues go away by not talking about them. I do not know where ignoring a problem is ever the most efficacious means of solving a problem.

Secondly, that being said, what a white mayor does for the city of Detroit is to restore a degree of confidence among many whites. Whether people want to admit it or not, the birth, rise and decline of Detroit were primarily all white driven. Whites are the majority in this nation and metropolitan area and they possess a disproportionate share of the income and wealth for investment. Hence, this demographic can make or break an area based upon whether they gain or lose confidence in it. Economics is all about CONFIDENCE. I believe whites will have increased confidence in the city. I think it burst the perception that blacks just want a black city and hence are unwelcoming to whites, plus, some people simply lack confidence in black leadership ability. Let’s not pretend that people like that do not exist because they do, especially when we are talking about the 40 and over crowds.

Finally, I think that it is good for Detroit that Mike Duggan is elected, but it’s not good for the image of African American leadership. Black leadership in Detroit is associated with the era of decline. You can go to any forum and read where people link the black leadership to the decline of Detroit. Nominally, this is true, but it was the white reaction to black leadership and a growing black population, that created the reaction of decline. However, the latter is not the story that gets told. People just associate the decline with black corrupt leaders. Now, when the city is on the rebound and is restructuring its debt so that it is tenable for a city of its size and means, the city is poised for a comeback and that comeback will have white face, while the decline will have a black face.

ONly for those who feel ---

1. SUPERIOR

2. INFERIOR

Otherwise, all COLORS seem to all be superceded by HUMAN RACE...

Secondly and Finalyy--Yada, yada yada.....

My wife and I moved to Detroit shortly after King Kwame was elected. We had confidence...Not in the man's race, but in his integrity (ROFLMA).

And Duggan is still answerable / accountable to Mark Ore. Isn't it short sighted to say it’s not good for the image of African American leadership. Black leadership in Detroit is associated with the era of decline with the current EM in charge?

Quote:
Now, when the city is on the rebound and is restructuring its debt so that it is tenable for a city of its size and means, the city is poised for a comeback and that comeback will have white face, while the decline will have a black face.
Seriously? We don't see the decline of Detroit as one of GREED and ARROGANCE? Cause that is what many people see, even the residents.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 11-06-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
ONly for those who feel ---

1. SUPERIOR

2. INFERIOR

Otherwise, all COLORS seem to all be superceded by HUMAN RACE...

Secondly and Finalyy--Yada, yada yada.....
I don't understand people like you. Here in Southeastern Michigan you have one of the most racially segregated areas in the nation....and people want to stick their head in the sand and pretend as if race does not matter or is not an issue. Furthermore, we live in a nation with egregious socioeconomic differences between the races, which also manifest here in Metro Detroit. Hence, what type of mindset wants to ignore this reality?

Some people want to live in the world of make believe and thus such people attempt to discredit and caste aspersion upon those who want to expose REALITY. Detroit will not reach its full potential ever as long as people want to remain in the world of make believe and denial.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I'm going to relish hearing all the black race-baiters cry over the loss of their chocolate city.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't understand people like you. Here in Southeastern Michigan you have one of the most racially segregated areas in the nation....and people want to stick their head in the sand and pretend as if race does not matter or is not an issue. Furthermore, we live in a nation with egregious socioeconomic differences between the races, which also manifest here in Metro Detroit. Hence, what type of mindset wants to ignore this reality?

Some people want to live in the world of make believe and thus such people attempt to discredit and caste aspersion upon those who want to expose REALITY. Detroit will not reach its full potential ever as long as people want to remain in the world of make believe and denial.

DITTO........

There are some who will NEVER RISE....

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

--------Maya Angelou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit