Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 AM

171 posts, read 446,576 times

Advertisements

Do not take this post negatively. I have lived in several areas, including SE Michigan. The region must work together and grow as one. The region will not grow unless you have a vibrant city center, period (Royal Oak will not cut it). When GM needed to add IT jobs, the jobs were placed in Austin, TX and other hip, young and exciting areas. Those $75k ++ plus jobs should be n SE Michigan. Those young, hip and cool people could have help tranformed the city / region. When people visit your city ( I did this week ), stop bashing it. I also visited Nashville, TN this week and all were excited about the city (most did not live in the city but viewed it as the hub). SE Michigan must understand that the region is FAR behind other areas. Where do you think I would want to take my talents? Nashville or Detroit? Again, this is not a bashing thread. It seems like Dan Gilbert has the vision and I wish him luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM

143 posts, read 229,212 times
It has been said for years and I doubt anyone who really knows the area and has put some intelligent thought into its future would disagree. It is my hometown and I will always love it. I wish the jobs were there to allow my family and I to return. Oakland and Macomb Counties can still be a great place for families but without that urban hub, it is a much poorer place culturally and otherwise. Even affluent middle aged people who live out in the burbs would benefit from increasing Detroit's appeal to younger professionals.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
That's the truth. I have now lived in Denver for five years and Detroit could learn a lot from this city about making a cool, trendy place. Hopefully, we will see some positive changes in Detroit as the years go by. I know it has already seen some significant change downtown in just the past five years I've been away. Things are changing, just slowly. I know a lot of young professionals moving into the city.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
The region and the state as a whole fails to realize this. The people of MI have the attitude of an elementary school kid "ewww Detroit has the cooties". It's embarrassing. And one has to wonder why Detroit is still in decline. The only people who want to be around negativity is other negative people. Negativity = no progress. Dan Gilbert obviously graduated from an elementary school mindset. He's actually doing things to create change instead of sitting at home on a computer on CD 24/7 complaining about Detroit.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
Do not take this post negatively. I have lived in several areas, including SE Michigan. The region must work together and grow as one. The region will not grow unless you have a vibrant city center, period (Royal Oak will not cut it). When GM needed to add IT jobs, the jobs were placed in Austin, TX and other hip, young and exciting areas. Those $75k ++ plus jobs should be n SE Michigan. Those young, hip and cool people could have help tranformed the city / region. When people visit your city ( I did this week ), stop bashing it. I also visited Nashville, TN this week and all were excited about the city (most did not live in the city but viewed it as the hub). SE Michigan must understand that the region is FAR behind other areas. Where do you think I would want to take my talents? Nashville or Detroit? Again, this is not a bashing thread. It seems like Dan Gilbert has the vision and I wish him luck.
Agreed.

For the record, I bash the entire region in my posts, not just Detroit proper.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Correct.

The only thing I would add is that a lot of people HAVE figured it out, but it takes a long time to turn around a big ship, especially AFTER it hits the iceberg...

Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM

544 posts, read 900,642 times
Quote:
When GM needed to add IT jobs, the jobs were placed in Austin, TX and other hip, young and exciting areas. Those $75k ++ plus jobs should be n SE Michigan. Those young, hip and cool people could have help tranformed the city / region.
"IT staff" and "hip and cool" in the same sentence? Who are you trying to kid .

Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 AM

436 posts, read 755,718 times
Quote:
When GM needed to add IT jobs, the jobs were placed in Austin, TX and other hip, young and exciting areas. Those $75k ++ plus jobs should be n SE Michigan. Those young, hip and cool people could have help tranformed the city / region.
General Motors operates across dozens of datacenters in the US; which is a large reason why they have hired a few hundred folks in Texas, etc. Quite frankly, many of the previous contractors that are being in-sourced are from Texas, so it only makes sense that they would build a GM-controlled facility down there.
Regardless, the overwhelmingly majority of the number of jobs they have hired is in SE Michigan, where they have hired and transitioned over several thousand of employees already, as it is well known that they are expanding the Warren TechCenter datacenter. This has nothing to do with: hip and cool. As in fact, GM is not hip or cool.

Quote:
The region must work together and grow as one. The region will not grow unless you have a vibrant city center, period (Royal Oak will not cut it).
Yes, I think most of SE Michigan would agree with you. Yes, I know when most people from Detroit look at us suburb folk, they think of Brook Patterson. But personally, I think there are more people out in the suburbs that want to see Detroit succeed, then vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
The region and the state as a whole fails to realize this. The people of MI have the attitude of an elementary school kid "ewww Detroit has the cooties". It's embarrassing. And one has to wonder why Detroit is still in decline. The only people who want to be around negativity is other negative people.
Detroit is in decline because of mismanagement, DPS and their inability to combat crime. When the people of MI watch the local news, do you blame them for having a negative opinion of Detroit?
I, myself, have donated money to the Detroit Opera House and the Science Museum, as I want reasons to visit Detroit.
Yet, Detroit has a bad image. And for good reason. Detroit does not have cooties. Detroit has way more worse problems that cooties. Didn't they just elect an 8-time ex-con to an office seat by a wide margin?
...That is embarrassing. And one has to wonder why Detroit is still in decline. The only people who want to be around stupid is other stupid people.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:

As soon as Detroit City Clowncil gets on board, the rest will be relatively easy.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
What if the state government came up with a program that gave taxpayer money to trendy areas so the young, hip people would want to move there? Maybe call it something like....I dunno..."Cool Cities." Do you guys think that would work?

I know that the main factor that most companies consider before relocating is "Is this city cool, hip and trendy like Austin, TX is? This company will ONLY hire hipsters." that is a MUCH more important factor than details like the education of the local population or taxes.

Congrats, exit18b, on the dumbest post of the year. Slow clap for you, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit