Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,443,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Well, I would start by using this amazing tool called "Google" which would retrieve something called "statistics." These "statistics" would inform how safe this area is relative to other areas inside and outside of Detroit. I'm sure your college educated a** can take it from there.
No, I want your lazy, uneducated a** to find it, because as someone who's making the claim, the burden of proof is on you. I'll offer a rebuttal that I see fit.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The Denver airport is the fifth busiest airport in the U.S. ergo Denver is a cultural center.

Wow. And that's not even the dumbest thing you've stated in this thread.
I disagree with you, therefore you are dumb.

Alright, I see what you're doing here.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM

465 posts, read 873,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Fixed it for you. And that is interchangeable with ANY city in the contiguous United States.
No, you didn't fix anything. The best parts of Detroit have higher crime than most suburbs. There is no place in Detroit where your safety is remotely comprable to that of Novi or Bloomfield or even Warren.

And, no, that isn't interchageable with any city. NYC has 15 times the population and the same number of murders. Obviously it's far safer to live in NYC than in Detroit.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,501,017 times
Quote:
No, I want your lazy, uneducated a** to find it, because as someone who's making the claim, the burden of proof is on you. I'll offer a rebuttal that I see fit.
Your definition of education must be quite high to call someone with dual masters degrees "uneducated." However, I digress.

Just to amuse myself, I used this "Google" machine and discovered that the chances of becoming a victim of violent crime in the 48203 area code are 1 in 88. For comparison's sake, it is 1 in 255 for the entire state of Michigan. Most reasonable people would classify that as "unsafe." However, an educated elite hailing from the cultural mecca of Denver may disagree.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
No, you didn't fix anything. The best parts of Detroit have higher crime than most suburbs. There is no place in Detroit where your safety is remotely comprable to that of Novi or Bloomfield or even Warren.

And, no, that isn't interchageable with any city. NYC has 15 times the population and the same number of murders. Obviously it's far safer to live in NYC than in Detroit.
Sure, so go live in Jamaica, Queens, NYC and report back to us on how much safer it is than Greektown, Detroit. Or go to Camden, NJ for that matter.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Your definition of education must be quite high to call someone with dual masters degrees "uneducated." However, I digress.

Just to amuse myself, I used this "Google" machine and discovered that the chances of becoming a victim of violent crime in the 48203 area code are 1 in 88. For comparison's sake, it is 1 in 255 for the entire state of Michigan. Most reasonable people would classify that as "unsafe." However, an educated elite hailing from the cultural mecca of Denver may disagree.
Congrats on the University of Phoenix Master's degrees. I hear they're pretty tough to attain.

So where's the link to this data? You wish that I just willfully accept your claim based on your word? Pfft.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Sure, so go live in Jamaica, Queens, NYC and report back to us on how much safer it is than Greektown, Detroit.
Did you bother to read what he wrote? Even when you adjust for population, Detroit is FAR more violent than a city like NYC which you correctly point out has some very violent areas.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the University of Phoenix Master's degrees. I hear they're pretty tough to attain.

So where's the link to this data? You wish that I just willfully accept your claim based on your word? Pfft.
Sorry, but mine came from the same institution as yours: good ole' Wayne State University.

City Data doesn't allow links to competitor sites. If you're up to it, you can Google "48203 crime rate" and click on the first result.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM

465 posts, read 873,827 times
Quote:
Sure, so go live in Jamaica, Queens, NYC and report back to us on how much safer it is than Greektown, Detroit.
It is definitely much safer in Jamaica, Queens, than in Downtown Detroit.

There are 0 murders in the precinct covering Jamaica in 2013. There was one murder in 2011, and two in 2012.

So three murders total in the last three years in Jamaica.

In contrast, there were 22 murders in the Central Precinct of Detroit (which covers downtown and surrounding areas) since May of last year. And it appears the population per precinct is much smaller in Detroit than in NYC (in NYC over 100,000 residents per precinct, in Detroit maybe 80,000 per precinct).

Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but mine came from the same institution as yours: good ole' Wayne State University.

City Data doesn't allow links to competitor sites. If you're up to it, you can Google "48203 crime rate" and click on the first result.
I actually transferred to the University of Michigan in my junior year and graduated from there.

All that shows me is data for the entire Highland Park area. Of course there are some areas in an entire broke city that are worse than others. But for that specific location, right off of busy Woodward Ave., I doubt there is much that the OP would have to worry about. If s/he is parked in front of the building, s/he can always keep a close eye on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit