Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Show me a sentence that illustrates that I despise, hate, or wish ill for the city.

One.

You can't.

Because you are a self-serving liar.
It's pretty obvious actually. You don't like the city and you don't like the "hipsters" that are there spending money to improve it. You sound like an old fart who has been living north of the (8 Mile) border for far too long. Your time is up buddy. Your generation failed to do what it needed to do. It's time to step aside.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Ha. I'm not old, I couldn't care less about hipsters though their seething self-importance annoys me (as well as many longtime Detroiters, you can read an article on a recent city council meeting that illustrates that quite succinctly; it had to do with who was going to "take back" Detroit) and as far as my feelings for Detroit, I love it and obviously know much more about it than you, but that doesn't mean I gloss over its problems, am a ridiculous cheerleader or try to tell people that a few smattering of marginal restaurants has made it the next Brooklyn.

On the other hand, you are probably 22 years old, and it is probably wrong and silly of me to be so hard edged.

I am glad you are moving to Detroit and wish you well! I hope tens of thousands more follow you.

However, I would not be so self-righteous in your dialogue when discussing issues about the city. There is no point in having a fluff dialogue and if you can't handle a little real talk, particularly where facts and figures are concerned, there is no point in having a discussion.

Your first post was to suggest that because you took your bike past a certain block in Highland Park that it was inconceivable that someone would steal a car from there, then proceeded to grandstand.

That is, going back to the point, not only a logical fallacy, but inaccurate on the whole.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
It's pretty obvious actually. You don't like the city and you don't like the "hipsters" that are there spending money to improve it. You sound like an old fart who has been living north of the (8 Mile) border for far too long. Your time is up buddy. Your generation failed to do what it needed to do. It's time to step aside.
I can speak in more of a neutral fashion, I'm 22 years old and wish Detroit were better. I've spent time in the city and have family in the city, some have suffered break-ins and a couple family members have been held at gunpoint... As a youngster even though I've been born and raised in the suburbs, I love city life. Once I get my stuff together I'll probably never live in a suburb again.

Anyways, I've been to many other cities in the country, as a young guy who wants to be in a city full of life, have great transit/walkability and experience that kind of city in my prime... that's why some of my friends from here have gone to cities elsewhere(plus throw on the overall negativity of the area). Boston and Philly are nice, but I go to Chicago or NYC and am blown away. For a world class city Chicago is fairly cheap as well, and of course NYC is my favorite.

Also, while things look bad now, there is opportunity in Detroit, but that same opportunity exist in NYC, Chicago and LA. One of my friends when he lived here sounded exactly like Tekkie, he just got fed up and moved to a cheap area in NYC, when I went to his neighborhood in Brooklyn there were a ton of start up type businesses in an area that wasn't visually great to say the least. With all the young people moving to those "bad" areas, are changing them.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Ha. I'm not old, I couldn't care less about hipsters though their seething self-importance annoys me (as well as many longtime Detroiters, you can read an article on a recent city council meeting that illustrates that quite succinctly; it had to do with who was going to "take back" Detroit) and as far as my feelings for Detroit, I love it and obviously know much more about it than you, but that doesn't mean I gloss over its problems, am a ridiculous cheerleader or try to tell people that a few smattering of marginal restaurants has made it the next Brooklyn.

On the other hand, you are probably 22 years old, and it is probably wrong and silly of me to be so hard edged.

I am glad you are moving to Detroit and wish you well! I hope tens of thousands more follow you.

However, I would not be so self-righteous in your dialogue when discussing issues about the city. There is no point in having a fluff dialogue and if you can't handle a little real talk, particularly where facts and figures are concerned, there is no point in having a discussion.

Your first post was to suggest that because you took your bike past a certain block in Highland Park that it was inconceivable that someone would steal a car from there, then proceeded to grandstand.

That is, going back to the point, not only a logical fallacy, but inaccurate on the whole.
First off, don't talk down to me. I'm 27 and I can handle your "real" talk if that's what you want to call it. I offered my opinion to the OP that I didn't think that particular area would have been bad to park his car in the middle of the day while having a two hour lunch/dinner with his/her friend. I wasn't claiming that it was the next Brooklyn or safer than other places, as you are now suggesting. So let's get that straight.

Sure, Seven Mile and Woodward isn't at the top of my list for destinations I want to visit, because there isn't really anything there that would interest me. But to suggest that, because the entire zip code as a whole has a higher crime rate than average, that that specific location is also as dangerous is a misuse of data. You have to account for anomalies. Perhaps crime is particularly bad two miles down the road, in the same zip code mind you, but not so much at that location (as I observed for myself, in person, on my bike). It's in plain site and there is plenty of traffic in the area. There is also a police department right down the road. Common sense would suggest that that probably isn't as bad as, let's say, a block of abandoned houses a few miles down the road in the middle of a subdivision. If that were the case, I might suggest to the OP to choose another venue for his meetup.

You say I lack logical comprehension. That's false, but whatever. You are lacking common sense. The guy is not asking about moving there for crying out loud. He wants to have a meal, with a friend, in the middle of the day on a busy road. I would hardly think that something tragic would happen to him or his vehicle during that time.

Last edited by Tekkie; 05-14-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
I can speak in more of a neutral fashion, I'm 22 years old and wish Detroit were better. I've spent time in the city and have family in the city, some have suffered break-ins and a couple family members have been held at gunpoint... As a youngster even though I've been born and raised in the suburbs, I love city life. Once I get my stuff together I'll probably never live in a suburb again.

Anyways, I've been to many other cities in the country, as a young guy who wants to be in a city full of life, have great transit/walkability and experience that kind of city in my prime... that's why some of my friends from here have gone to cities elsewhere(plus throw on the overall negativity of the area). Boston and Philly are nice, but I go to Chicago or NYC and am blown away. For a world class city Chicago is fairly cheap as well, and of course NYC is my favorite.

Also, while things look bad now, there is opportunity in Detroit, but that same opportunity exist in NYC, Chicago and LA. One of my friends when he lived here sounded exactly like Tekkie, he just got fed up and moved to a cheap area in NYC, when I went to his neighborhood in Brooklyn there were a ton of start up type businesses in an area that wasn't visually great to say the least. With all the young people moving to those "bad" areas, are changing them.
Yes. Everyone wants Detroit to be a mecca, no one wants to put the work in though. Let's just trash it on a web forum, because I'm fat, lazy and my life sucks.

And as far as the bolded section, I don't see why that can't happen in Detroit. It already is in fact.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Yes, well, if you knew how to read, you would see that I was the first one to answer with "Your car will be fine."

Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, well, if you knew how to read, you would see that I was the first one to answer with "Your car will be fine."
Uh yeah, so who had an issue with that? Did I even respond to that comment?

Good night! This is worthless.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Good night.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yes. Everyone wants Detroit to be a mecca, no one wants to put the work in though. Let's just trash it on a web forum, because I'm fat, lazy and my life sucks.

And as far as the bolded section, I don't see why that can't happen in Detroit. It already is in fact.
You don't get it though, it's on a whole different scale in some parts of Brooklyn, I easily feel it, Detroit it feels it will be like ten years from now. Also you can live in a crappy area in other boroughs in NYC or even in manhattan and have access to so much, great subway, bus, walkable, you name it.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM

178 posts, read 284,373 times
Anyone who thinks what's happening in Detroit right now is reminiscent of Brooklyn is on crack.

Brooklyn has like 10,000 times more young, creative people. You could combine all the Great Lakes cities (including Chicago), and you still wouldn't get close to the creative energy you see in places like Williamsburg, Cobble Hill, and the like.

Detroit has made some progress, though. I hope it eventually leads to some improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit