Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I pursue a job in the Detroit area?
Yes, it will be worth it and it's a great place to live 38 76.00%
No, stay AWAY! 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I grew up here during its good times. Yo will love Southfield and the areas around it. I go from the inner city to the Southfield library on a regular basis. I live on the East coast(do or die bed sty, east ny, crown heights name it) for 22yrs played golf in your state for yearsI'm still alive and well. just pick your your spots i Detroit like any other place.Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Advice is not finite and limited. Advice is ongoing and limitless. You can't just tell someone, "okay, that's all the advice that exists about this particular place, so now you have to make your decision." New questions and concerns may arise down the road.
Yes, but you keep asking the SAME QUESTIONS.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 AM

211 posts, read 299,428 times
Man... I don't like Detroit but why dont you visit and have your own opinion about the city and the metro area?

I think the 17 pages includes just about everything positives and negatives about the city and the metro area.

Take a 3-5 day vacation and come to detroit and see if you like it.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have been keeping an eye on this post and have chuckled at the responses of the OP.

Look, Detroit has grit. It is a working class town. You will find the most straight forward and down to earth people there. It's dirty and has lots of decay but its an area of fighters. People pride themselves on dusting themselves off and trying again. Detroit is black sheep of america is a lot of ways. Why cover a heart warming story about survival when you can focus on the decay and what a dangerous place it is. Good news doesn't sell. This is why people keep telling you to visit. Not some drive by on I 94 where you aren't even close to the metro Detroit area. The city and surrounding areas do have culture and great things to do.

Detroit is diverse and when I grew up there I don't ever remember anyone I knew, giving someone that relocated there a hard time. In fact, it was the opposite. They wanted to know more about you and why you came. It is a melting pot of different ethnic groups. I personally miss all the great restaurants.

Comparing CT to Detroit is just silly. We are talking completely different worlds historically, socially and economically. Get over it. Are you up for something new or what? Detroit has pockets of a come back but most working professionals live in the burbs. I find people that are not knowledgable about the Detroit area, are completely ignorant to the massive size of the area. There are people that never step foot within the city limits. I have family members that haven't been within the city limits for years because the burbs meet all their needs. I loved working downtown and commuted from the burbs.

IF you move there and I believe you won't by your wishy washy, hold my hand responses, you would pick a nice upscale suburb outside of Detroit. You will hang out in pretentious coffee shops and do all your shopping at the upscale malls (yep the area has that stuff, shocker). That is fine but at least be honest about it. You will not live in Detroit.

Oh and here is a tip. IF you move there, most Detroiters will call your bluff on saying you in live Detroit. Only those that actually live in within the city limits can claim that title. People that move away like myself will say they are from Detroit and its only due to the ignorance of others that don't understand that Detroit has many cities that border the area. Easier to just say, "I'm from Detroit or the Detroit area" otherwise you have to go into a geographical explanation.

OP, if you are so worried about what other people think, then don't move. Embrace that you are shallow and appearances are everything to you. People on here have encouraged you to move because the Detroit area has a lot offer especially for someone that would have a livable wage and the opportunity to be comfortable.

**** or get off the pot.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have been keeping an eye on this post and have chuckled at the responses of the OP.

Look, Detroit has grit. It is a working class town. You will find the most straight forward and down to earth people there. It's dirty and has lots of decay but its an area of fighters. People pride themselves on dusting themselves off and trying again. Detroit is black sheep of america is a lot of ways. Why cover a heart warming story about survival when you can focus on the decay and what a dangerous place it is. Good news doesn't sell. This is why people keep telling you to visit. Not some drive by on I 94 where you aren't even close to the metro Detroit area. The city and surrounding areas do have culture and great things to do.

Detroit is diverse and when I grew up there I don't ever remember anyone I knew, giving someone that relocated there a hard time. In fact, it was the opposite. They wanted to know more about you and why you came. It is a melting pot of different ethnic groups. I personally miss all the great restaurants.

Comparing CT to Detroit is just silly. We are talking completely different worlds historically, socially and economically. Get over it. Are you up for something new or what? Detroit has pockets of a come back but most working professionals live in the burbs. I find people that are not knowledgable about the Detroit area, are completely ignorant to the massive size of the area. There are people that never step foot within the city limits. I have family members that haven't been within the city limits for years because the burbs meet all their needs. I loved working downtown and commuted from the burbs.

IF you move there and I believe you won't by your wishy washy, hold my hand responses, you would pick a nice upscale suburb outside of Detroit. You will hang out in pretentious coffee shops and do all your shopping at the upscale malls (yep the area has that stuff, shocker). That is fine but at least be honest about it. You will not live in Detroit.

Oh and here is a tip. IF you move there, most Detroiters will call your bluff on saying you in live Detroit. Only those that actually live in within the city limits can claim that title. People that move away like myself will say they are from Detroit and its only due to the ignorance of others that don't understand that Detroit has many cities that border the area. Easier to just say, "I'm from Detroit or the Detroit area" otherwise you have to go into a geographical explanation.

OP, if you are so worried about what other people think, then don't move. Embrace that you are shallow and appearances are everything to you. People on here have encouraged you to move because the Detroit area has a lot offer especially for someone that would have a livable wage and the opportunity to be comfortable.

**** or get off the pot.
I would definitely consider going forward with it, but I'm just waiting for the recruiter to get back to me. She's basically ignoring me now, which leads me to believe that it won't work out. Sigh...

Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think it is the latter.....
LOL...you should see his threads on the CT board. Purely EPIC (some are even 100+ pages, believe it or not!), yet result in absolutely nothing changing for Nep.

I can relate to him, though in a sense. CT is horrible. I'd love to get out myself, and would definitely consider the midwest.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Why does everyone seem to pick on Detroit all the time on City data.. Poor Detroit.. American citizens act like its a third world country.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Why does everyone seem to pick on Detroit all the time on City data.. Poor Detroit.. American citizens act like its a third world country.
Detroit picks on itself. Much of its problems are self-inflicted, especially politically and socially. Parts of Detroit are as bad as some parts of third world countries (although Detroit and many third world countries have nice areas as well).

Not sure what to make of nep...seems to be more a case of indecisiveness than antagonism.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You're right--just because we have lots of areas with third world living conditions does not mean that we're a third world country!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm still afraid to go forward with this opportunity though, simply because the city has a bad rep nationwide, and almost everyone that lives there, grew up there. Scary. Can you imagine telling people that you live in the Detroit area? The reactions people would make?
That means the part of the Detroit metro you would be moving to is a diamond in the rough -- a hidden secret that nobody dares to let out. Poor people live badly in Detroit. Rich people don't. And $76k is rich in Detroit.

Let us know what you end up doing though. I still think you should do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit