U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM
 
1,246 posts, read 1,378,451 times
Reputation: 2661

Advertisements

You all are delusional if you think Trump is zeroing in on helping Detroit. HUUUGE messes so far in just the short time he is in office, with the world opinion against us on immigration and trade. Detroit will continue to improve in a way that another depressed city that Trump had a hand in destroying, Atlantic City, could not under his control. Just have faith in the local govt., business leaders, and diversification and Detroit will continue on the road to recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Reputation: 32915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Well, I mean, ideally that's when people start moving here. North Dakota grew from 670,000 to 760,000 people from 2010 to 2015, and it has wayyyy less to offer than Detroit. Significantly worse weather too. In fact, if I had to place my finger on the least desirable place to live in America, it would probably be Minot or Williston, North Dakota, (...or maybe Provo, Utah) but when those places were spilling over with available, well-paying work, people couldn't move there fast enough, just so they could freeze half-way to death while doing manual labor and smelling like hydrocarbons all day. I think we underestimate the human passion for $$
Problem is the shortage of skilled construction workers is nationwide. They are not going to come streaming in form elsewhere when there is plenty of demand for them right where they are. A lot of them will be down in Texas, Aridzona and California building a fence wall - especially if they get paid anything near $85/hour.

North Dakota was different because there were no jobs elsewhere. Oil prices were soaring and they had just discovered how to access a huge amount of oil there. The oil was hugely valuable, so they could afford to pay whatever it took to get that oil to market.

This is a different situation. there is demand for construction workers everywhere. There is no giant upside to getting the product out as quickly as possible and no ability to pay whatever it takes (at least not for most projects). The construction work we are talking about will not generate huge sums of money right away. Some, like the bridge will break even at best. In any event paying substnatially more than market will tick off the unions in other places because their workers would flood to the higher paying places and the other union locals woudl lose all their money and power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Reputation: 3554
Whoa, whoa, hold up. $85 an hour?

They probably need a lot of geotechnical work for that wall... Well Michigan, it has been nice, but even my morals and ethics have a price and $85 an hour exceeds this price. See you all later! Gonna go Murica Gr8 make agin, derp.

/s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN -
6,466 posts, read 3,518,967 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You all are delusional if you think Trump is zeroing in on helping Detroit. HUUUGE messes so far in just the short time he is in office, with the world opinion against us on immigration and trade. Detroit will continue to improve in a way that another depressed city that Trump had a hand in destroying, Atlantic City, could not under his control. Just have faith in the local govt., business leaders, and diversification and Detroit will continue on the road to recovery.
Exactly. Don the Con and his fellow billionaire buddies couldn't care less about flyover country and staunchly blue collar towns like Detroit. I can't believe that anyone believes otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
Reputation: 2624
My last post got deleted so let me say this in a better way. Nobody expects trump to do a damn thing for Detroit or any city for that matter. But don't write off "flyover country" because flyover country ironically has more major cities and major airports than both coast. And flyover country is what won Donald Trump the election in the first place. Were just trying to make a "best case scenario" situation here. In reality, the best case scenario at this point is our economy doesn't crash and we don't get into another war or even worse lose some of our allies. I was watching CNN yesterday and what baffles my mind is Trump voters actually think he is doing a great job, at least the people they were interviewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Cyan Planet
188 posts, read 135,087 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
Flyover country? Blue collar town? Are you dense? Did you confuse Detroit with Nashville?
Since when was Nashville considered "flyover country?" I thought that was a term used to refer to much of the suburban/rural Midwest? Have I missed something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 12:44 PM
 
135 posts, read 104,178 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
Since when was Nashville considered "flyover country?" I thought that was a term used to refer to much of the suburban/rural Midwest? Have I missed something?
Flyover country is generally loosely applied to anything between the east and west coasts. I used to live in Alabama and outsiders referred to that as flyover country more than once. So I think Nashville qualifies as well. That said, I don't understand what Nashville had to do with the original discussion of Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN -
6,466 posts, read 3,518,967 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
Flyover country? Blue collar town? Are you dense? Did you confuse Detroit with Nashville?
I lived in Detroit for 14 years, new poster, after moving there from my hometown of Toronto, ON, so I do have an idea of what Metro Detroit is like. Last time I checked, Detroit is still part of the struggling Rust Belt, which is part of what TRUMP CONSIDERS insignificant flyover country.

And Nashville's economy is more diverse than Detroit's.

Are you capable of writing a retort without resorting to being rude, new poster? Can't come up with anything else? if you choose to participate in an online forum, you might want to learn how to hear opinions you don't agree with but still manage to continue communicating -- like an adult.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 02-03-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN -
6,466 posts, read 3,518,967 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Flyover country is generally loosely applied to anything between the east and west coasts. I used to live in Alabama and outsiders referred to that as flyover country more than once. So I think Nashville qualifies as well. That said, I don't understand what Nashville had to do with the original discussion of Detroit
Correct. Thought that was fairly common knowledge. Can't believe what people will get all riled up about.

Sure, Nashville probably qualifies as "flyover country," especially to someone like Trump. Doesn't offend me, because I'm realistic. It is what it is. Trump doesn't really care about anything outside of Manhattan or another bastion of the 1%, though he's good at pretending he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN -
6,466 posts, read 3,518,967 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
My last post got deleted so let me say this in a better way. Nobody expects trump to do a damn thing for Detroit or any city for that matter. But don't write off "flyover country" because flyover country ironically has more major cities and major airports than both coast. And flyover country is what won Donald Trump the election in the first place. Were just trying to make a "best case scenario" situation here. In reality, the best case scenario at this point is our economy doesn't crash and we don't get into another war or even worse lose some of our allies. I was watching CNN yesterday and what baffles my mind is Trump voters actually think he is doing a great job, at least the people they were interviewing.
Good post. And I'm not writing off "flyover country." But Trump will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top