Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:22 AM

186 posts, read 588,106 times

Advertisements

A message to suburbanites of Metro Detroit, I speak a truth thats been evident sinsece the city's decline, people have taken for granite the greatness of Detroit. People talk down on the city many of them who left and others talk about it without ever going there, but the truth has yet to be spoken, for those who do not understand, without the central city, every suburban area is nothing and only the major city gets real national attention for anything. Instead of taking pride in our 11th largest city in the U.S by population which was once almost 2 Million like Chicago we say nothing but bad and exaggerate about it's issues. We all have issues and only together can we overcome them. It's a pity we don't recognize the good it's given us from our work in the fast declining auto industry to our great stores, malls, and shops. We have to encourage our relatives in other states and their friends to start buying our american made cars again too. We struggle paying mortgages we now can barely afford and end up loosing our homes when we could pay half the price for a house designed to last in Detroit. It may not be the highest condition we were in before but it sure isn't the worst either. If we return to our home we can give a better reputation for our entire metro area and compete for the newly emerging industries that in time will drive us into prosperity. We can rebuild our homes from the inside to out and as you watch your city's schools further grow and prosper you won't have to worry about crime. By then our Downtown will be twice as great as Chicago's and other major cities and we will live lives much easier, something we hoped to do in the suburbs but it soon failed when we forgot where we came from. So we can do the opposite, keep all our business in Downtown Detroit alone as thousands more metro Detroiters are laid off. Shrewsbury_Road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 03:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
I know they didnt mention this but does anyone know what that street was I would love to explore it.

They deliberately did not give the name of the street for her protection. she was afraid of publicizing her situation and the backlash it could cause. Please, don't argue with me, that was the story. Having been in a similar situation, stuck in a similar street in Detroit, I sympathize.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
Who can remember that time in the fifties and sixties where Detroit was one of the best places to live. I wish we could go back to those times. People however confine themselves to downtown for work and entertainment. We can still rebuild our glory days. We can return to our days of economic prosperity.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,475 times
why do the people of detroit hate the suburbanites so much ? we built detroit, lived there, worked there, and were happy until the riots. the whites moved out, coleman young took over and everything changed. why were houses, schools, and neighborhoods that were good enough for whites for 40-50 years no longer acceptable ? we kept those neighborhoods clean, safe, and maintained...
we built the suburbs when we no longer felt safe- the 2nd time we did the heavy lifting for our successors.. we didn't leave detroit because we wanted to- we left when the " coalman " let us know we weren't needed or wanted anymore. and where have the leaders of detroit taken the city since the 70's - massive ghettos, burned-out neighborhoods, and jail for them.. no more blaming the white man -you got what you wanted! still love your brothers?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfrank64 View Post
why do the people of detroit hate the suburbanites so much ? we built detroit, lived there, worked there, and were happy until the riots. the whites moved out, coleman young took over and everything changed. why were houses, schools, and neighborhoods that were good enough for whites for 40-50 years no longer acceptable ? we kept those neighborhoods clean, safe, and maintained...
we built the suburbs when we no longer felt safe- the 2nd time we did the heavy lifting for our successors.. we didn't leave detroit because we wanted to- we left when the " coalman " let us know we weren't needed or wanted anymore. and where have the leaders of detroit taken the city since the 70's - massive ghettos, burned-out neighborhoods, and jail for them.. no more blaming the white man -you got what you wanted! still love your brothers?
There was decline before the riots and there were riots before the 12 St. Riots too. I think reliance on one industry and the lack of transportation options also hurt Detroit. There tensions for a while before the riots in '67. So, it just came to a head at that time.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,207 times
im,from chillicothe,ohio,but my dad lived in detroit most of his life.I visit the big D at least 10 times a year! i love detroit. i go to all the festivals at the hart plaza,belle isle park,and basically drive all around. i especially like woodward ave and the dream cruise. i eat in mexican village everytime i visit. maybe im just crazy,but i love Detroit! im chico turner,45 years old

Old 09-15-2010, 03:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico turner View Post
im,from chillicothe,ohio,but my dad lived in detroit most of his life.I visit the big D at least 10 times a year! i love detroit. i go to all the festivals at the hart plaza,belle isle park,and basically drive all around. i especially like woodward ave and the dream cruise. i eat in mexican village everytime i visit. maybe im just crazy,but i love Detroit! im chico turner,45 years old
More people need this attitude towards Detroit.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM

333 posts, read 1,154,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
They deliberately did not give the name of the street for her protection. she was afraid of publicizing her situation and the backlash it could cause. Please, don't argue with me, that was the story. Having been in a similar situation, stuck in a similar street in Detroit, I sympathize.
You're talking about the Third World America story, right? They did an update after she died (naturally) about a year later. The street was West Robinwood in Grixdale Farms.

That area has to be at least 90% vacant, and even to the south of that must be one of the worst ghettos in Detroit outside of Brightmoor.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
That area has to be at least 90% vacant, and even to the south of that must be one of the worst ghettos in Detroit outside of Brightmoor.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,186.38,,0,3.9 One block south of W. Robinwood...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
West Goldengate, Detroit, MI - Google Maps One block south of W. Robinwood...
There's plenty of bombed out housing around that area from what I can see and singling out one good street doesn't change that fact. You may quibble with the characterization that the area is one of the worst ghettos in Detroit, but the area is obviously struggling a great deal. As much as I want Detroit to come back someday, lashing out at people for hyperbole won't change the fact that Detroit is a supremely messed up city right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit