Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
So are you saying this is false?

KillBobC - Kill Black On Black Crime
"The statistics tell a tragic story. According to federal crime figures, homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males aged 15 to 34. They also indicate that between 1976 and 2004, 94 percent of black murder victims were killed by black offenders."

That was why I chose not to live downtown. I have had more "accidents" with black folk than I had car crashes in my entire life.
The question is what percentage of black people that you crossed in your life.....resulted in an "accident" of which you speak? 99.9999% of my encounter with black people, growing up black and in the black community, has been a non violent experience. Have I have violent encounters....yep....been mugged, been jumped...however, such were extremly rare events in the aggregate of my life. I have had two very life threatening car incidents. I can think of a lot of situations were my life was closer to being threatened while driving than from black violence. A lot of people running red lights have barely missed me ssometimes. YEt...I am still driving...but always on the defense. Moreover, most violent crimes are drug related between people who know each other.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-12-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM

25 posts, read 96,525 times
All the blacks in the 60s and early 70s went to detroit because there was alto of good opportunities in detroit for factories.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The question is what percentage of black people that you crossed in your life.....resulted in an "accident" of which you speak?
You are right, a very low percentage I encountered resulted in an incident. But it a much higher percentage than I encountered with whites, Asians, Hispanics, or Indians. That is why I choose to not move into an area that is predominately black. I have had friends that lived in Detroit and have their houses robbed on more than one occasion.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Historically whites have always feared a "Black Rebellion" against whites. I think whites fear "Pay back" and that is why they fear black crime so much. If blacks are killing-blacks every day, over little or nothing, I imagine if I were white, and given history, that one day they may decide to direct that violence towards whites. What you don't realize is that blacks have been conditioned to treat whites better than they treat black people. Yeah....we may lash out at white folks during riots....then we go right back to black-on-black crime. Black male youth competition is driving the violence and white folks are just not seen as competitors or threats in their world. Sure, if you are walking down the street at night and it looks like you got money and are an easy target....you MIGHT fall victim, regardless of what color you are. I just think that white people have an irrational fear that blacks want to seek revenge. I think that is the root cause.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
You are right, a very low percentage I encountered resulted in an incident. But it a much higher percentage than I encountered with whites, Asians, Hispanics, or Indians. That is why I choose to not move into an area that is predominately black. I have had friends that lived in Detroit and have their houses robbed on more than one occasion.
rdub1968 Well....you know if you want to make this personal....we can do this. Do you know how many times that I have been accused of crimes by white people? I was arrested for a purse snatching....but eventually released. I was accused by a white security officer of having robbed someone of hit coat. This guy swore up an down that he saw me do it. That is what he told me when he apprehended me. It was was on a college campus. You now how I was let go. They found out that my brother was a star basketball player on the team. One day I was visiting someone in the hospital......guess what happened again. The security accused me of stealing something. I used to work at a resteraunt in the suburbs...I was short money for somthing that I cannot rember...but one of the white guys said aloud that I should ask one of the waitresses....she replied out load...."I would not give him a dime...he probably steals all of my tips anyway" (I was a bus boy)........this is not hyperbole or embellishment. I have so many such incidents with white police, security and the like that I developed a complex.....but forget about me my personal experience. Lets look at the history of this nation, the lynchings of blacks by white mobs, the burning down of black communities out of envy and jealousy, the bombing of churches the killed little black girls, the cross burnings in lawns, the racial attacks from whites upon blacks. I give my personal story and that real American history to make the point that blacks always continued to seek to integrate with whites....even after CENTURIES of whites denigrating our humanity, treating us as inferior, lynchings, rapes, vandalizm all to intimidate black people.....yet....we continued to integrate with whites and it was whites who sicked dogs on blacks, shouted racial slurs as blacks sought an integrated education, killed blacks for whistling at white girls........my friend.....with all do respect.....if anyone has a reason to be fearful its black people of white people!!!! Yet......here I am living in a predominately white community this day. So don't give me that tired azz rational....black people have put up with your violence for centuries......but we still chose to integrate and it was white people who resited that integration even in the era where there was not the violent crime rates that exist today. Whites just did not want to live around blacks because blacks have been treated so bad by whites that many white, deep down inside, fear revenge. Others worry about their daughters and black men. Others worry about other racially tinged things. Crime is a red herring.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Historically whites have always feared a "Black Rebellion" against whites. I think whites fear "Pay back" and that is why they fear black crime so much. If blacks are killing-blacks every day, over little or nothing, I imagine if I were white, and given history, that one day they may decide to direct that violence towards whites. What you don't realize is that blacks have been conditioned to treat whites better than they treat black people. Yeah....we may lash out at white folks during riots....then we go right back to black-on-black crime. Black male youth competition is driving the violence and white folks are just not seen as competitors or threats in their world. Sure, if you are walking down the street at night and it looks like you got money and are an easy target....you MIGHT fall victim, regardless of what color you are. I just think that white people have an irrational fear that blacks want to seek revenge. I think that is the root cause.
I get what you are saying. But, I think this applies to southern whites who might have been the greatgrandkids of slave-owners.

Up in the north, you have a completely different kind of white person. Almost entirely irish, polish, german, etc. immigrants. So a concept of 'payback from blacks' never enters the mind. Payback for what - for something WASPy white protestants did in the south 100 years before they emigrated?

People from Ireland had their language and a decent portion of land taken from them from England. There is still high tension on those isles, and a move to even re-instate the previous post-colonial language of Gaelic back to Ireland that was removed from the Brits. So, to ask Irish emigrants to feel guilty for colonial british crimes against black people isn't going to happen. It would be like asking blacks to feel guilty for the British doing what they did to Ireland...and its absurd to say the least.

However, most blacks associate ALL white people as colonial brit descendents from the south 150 years ago...and there is A ROOT to one of the many misconceptions between people in MI.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Do you know how many times that I have been accused of crimes by white people? I was arrested for a purse snatching....but eventually released. I was accused by a white security officer of having robbed someone of hit coat.
Being accused is far different that having your windows smashed in while driving in the wrong neighborhood, being held up at gunpoint, and getting jumped by 3 black guys because they were afraid to take me on one at a time. Yeah, those all happened when I was in Detroit.
You can come up with something better than that.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Being accused is far different that having your windows smashed in while driving in the wrong neighborhood, being held up at gunpoint, and getting jumped by 3 black guys because they were afraid to take me on one at a time. Yeah, those all happened when I was in Detroit.
You can come up with something better than that.
No its not that different. Look at the incarceration rates for black males in this nation. I know the amont of times that I have been accused of something that I have never done....by white people. I am POSITIVE that there are a whole lot of black people in jails and prisons for things that they did not do. Even if you don't got to jail....you can have a criminal record that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Also, black people who are victimized by black crime DON"T conclude that they have to avoid black people around black people. Why do white people conclude that? Furthermore, there have been many, many former black poor, crime ridden communities that have been gentrified by whites because whites decided that those homes were historic and had great value. The move in, with their greater income and wealth, rehabiliate those old homes and the property value in those communities skyrocket and they become majority white. Why did not crime, blacks and all the reasoning that you are giving stop them? White people saw a value in those historic communities and moved in. Greater income and wealth of white people pushes up property values. So when white demand for a certaion area is high....the price point reaches an equilibrium with white incomes and wealth. When white demand falls......prices fall until they can be afforded by people with lower incomes....like blacks. Whites, even if never the victim of black crime, fear living in communities that the black population is increasing in. Its a self fullfilling prophecy driven by the irrational and prejudice thinking of many whites.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-13-2010 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I get what you are saying. But, I think this applies to southern whites who might have been the greatgrandkids of slave-owners.

Up in the north, you have a completely different kind of white person. Almost entirely irish, polish, german, etc. immigrants. So a concept of 'payback from blacks' never enters the mind. Payback for what - for something WASPy white protestants did in the south 100 years before they emigrated?

People from Ireland had their language and a decent portion of land taken from them from England. There is still high tension on those isles, and a move to even re-instate the previous post-colonial language of Gaelic back to Ireland that was removed from the Brits. So, to ask Irish emigrants to feel guilty for colonial british crimes against black people isn't going to happen. It would be like asking blacks to feel guilty for the British doing what they did to Ireland...and its absurd to say the least.

However, most blacks associate ALL white people as colonial brit descendents from the south 150 years ago...and there is A ROOT to one of the many misconceptions between people in MI.
Are you suggesting that these Northern whites were not racist and did not discriminate? There were many incidents of mobs of whites attacking blacks in NYC in the late 1800's. When you know you have mistreated people and held them in disdain and discriminated against them, burned crosses in their yards.......YOU FEAR WHAT GOES AROUND WILL COME BACK AROUND. Thats HUMAN NATURE. The idea that it was only Southern whites who were racist and discriminated against blacks and harmed blacks is a myth. Its only a difference in degree there of. The state of Michigan had the largest Klan population at one point in the 20th century. Whites often PROJECT....and that is why they fear that black people will treat them the way that whites, whether northern or sourther, treated blacks

Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that these Northern whites were not racist and did not discriminate? There were many incidents of mobs of whites attacking blacks in NYC in the late 1800's. When you know you have mistreated people and held them in disdain and discriminated against them, burned crosses in their yards.......YOU FEAR WHAT GOES AROUND WILL COME BACK AROUND. Thats HUMAN NATURE. The idea that it was only Southern whites who were racist and discriminated against blacks and harmed blacks is a myth. Its only a difference in degree there of. The state of Michigan had the largest Klan population at one point in the 20th century. Whites often PROJECT....and that is why they fear that black people will treat them the way that whites, whether northern or sourther, treated blacks
Well, if it makes you feel any better..there were an enormous amount of irish vs italian garbage going on back in those days of NYC and Boston as well, etc. There were also protestant vs catholic everywhere as well, etc., on and on. There was also 'American' (i.e. people who'd been there a few generations) against 'immigrant' (which were thought to be pure dirt)., etc.

It's a great concept that tons of poor european immigrants - most who are poor and already being discrimined against themselves (and having issues with other immigrants groups too) ...all struggling for limited jobs...will suddenly see millions and millions of blacks all demanding those jobs instead of them...and all of those humanitarian immigrants will just crawl up and die in the streets instead.

But...didn't happen. Even if it did, I think we'd STILL have exactly the same racial issues that we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit