Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM

139 posts, read 501,471 times

Advertisements

Well my friends and I caught a tigers game on our way back from Canada today. We parked probably a mile away from the stadium to save money, so we had to walk to and from our car. I find big cities, and old buildings to be very fascinating, especially with the downfall of Detroit, so now I have some questions.

-First of all, what is that building that you can see in center field, that has the big Verizon advertisement on it? We walked right by that, and it looked like the bottom floors were being used, but as you looked up it didn't look like the top floors were in use. Also what did it used to be used for?

Not just this building, but what are/were the other tall big buildings used for in that area?

-Is this area considered a pretty bad part of the town? We pulled in to talk to the parking guys, and looked down an alley straight ahead of us, and saw what you see in shady movies, trashy scary and all. (im sure this is common throughout the city)

If this isn't a real bad place, where are the most dangerous parts?

We parked between Canada and Comerica Park, came in from the Tunnel to give a better idea of our location. I remember walking by a building that had a statue of kids doing the YMCA, i tried to look for a YMCA on google maps, but wasn't sure which was the one i walked by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 AM

52 posts, read 270,267 times
I think you're talking about the Broderick Tower. It was originally a 1920's office building, but now it's being converted into lofts, but right now I don't think the building is currently being used for anything (i know there was a bar open on the ground floor not too long ago). And no, downtown is not very dangerous at all, not even at night nowadays, but during ballgames if you park off the beaten path (alongside a road) there is a chance that someone can break in your windows and take any visible valuables. but as for violent crime, i don't think its an issue at all anymore.

The most dangerous spots? There are two epicenters; on the westside its where the Lodge and Davidson Freeways meet (anywhere immediately near that area sucks) , and on the Eastside its where McNichols (6 Mile) and Gratiot meet.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM

695 posts, read 3,411,308 times
Broderick Tower Home

Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post
And no, downtown is not very dangerous at all, not even at night nowadays, but during ballgames if you park off the beaten path (alongside a road) there is a chance that someone can break in your windows and take any visible valuables. but as for violent crime, i don't think its an issue at all anymore.
Well I'm not sure I completely believe you that its not an issue at all anymore. But the place I parked did have a group of (shady) guys overseeing all the vehicles, he was also real friendly and helped us with directions on getting to the freeway.

Thanks for all the other insight though.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM

695 posts, read 3,411,308 times
My dad used to keep a handful of change in his pocket so he could throw coins and any of the panhandlers that come up and follow you....or started washing your windows and expected money.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
None of Detroit's "ghettos" or "slums" are downtown. If you want to see that sort of thing, take Mack Ave. out of downtown until you get past the auto plant, then take the following series of streets:

-Turn left on Coplin St.

-Take Coplin to Warren Ave. E; turn right

-Turn left at Alter Rd.

-Take it to Harper Ave., and turn left again

-Take Harper to Gratiot Ave., and turn right

-Turn left on French Rd.

-Turn left again onto Grinnell St.

-Turn right on Van Dyke St.

-Turn right on Leander St.

-Turn left on French Rd.

-Keep following French Rd. as it curves around and turns into McNichols Rd.

-Turn right back onto Van Dyke Rd.

-Take Van Dyke to 7 Mile Rd., and turn left

-Take 7 Mile Rd. west straight to the city limits

That'll show you a side of Detroit that you might not care to see...

Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,642 times
What do you mean none of the ghettos are downtown look right outside downtown you`ll see empty fields,houses, homeless and more. Even downtown itself sucks its empty as hell most buildings are empty or half empty anyways. 85-90% of detroit is ghetto anyways.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Quote:
What do you mean none of the ghettos are downtown
They're not. "Downtown" is generally defined as the area bounded by the waterfront to the south, the Fisher Freeway (I-75) to the north, the Lodge Freeway (Highway 10) to the west, and the Chrysler Freeway (I-375) to the east.

None of that area has blight approaching what you'd see in the pocket of land to the west of City Airport, for example. That's true Detroit blight.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,642 times
Yeah there is some severe blight by the city airport. Of course what you defined as downtown isnt a ghetto but there is still crime I dont believe its as safe like they say its just to get people to visit. They only come when there is a event. But a bunch of office towers cant be ghetto like a neighborhood thats what i mean`t downtown neighborhoods are ghetto except Lafeyette park.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
None of Detroit's "ghettos" or "slums" are downtown. If you want to see that sort of thing, take Mack Ave. out of downtown until you get past the auto plant, then take the following series of streets:

-Turn left on Coplin St.

-Take Coplin to Warren Ave. E; turn right

-Turn left at Alter Rd.

-Take it to Harper Ave., and turn left again

-Take Harper to Gratiot Ave., and turn right

-Turn left on French Rd.

-Turn left again onto Grinnell St.

-Turn right on Van Dyke St.

-Turn right on Leander St.

-Turn left on French Rd.

-Keep following French Rd. as it curves around and turns into McNichols Rd.

-Turn right back onto Van Dyke Rd.

-Take Van Dyke to 7 Mile Rd., and turn left

-Take 7 Mile Rd. west straight to the city limits

That'll show you a side of Detroit that you might not care to see...
Just out of curiosity if I did venture this way to check it out sometime, is it dangerous just to drive around there? Or would it be ok during the day to take a camera down there and tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit