Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
It became a magnet when african americans in the city were faced with high unemployment and police brutality. Years before they could hardly get into the then racist factories and those who couldn't often robbed their white neighbors. During racial matters the olice took whites side and some whites often openly showed racial dislike to blacks in the city causing riots like the historic 12th street riot. However the key to crime in the city to me was high unemployment.
That is so much BS !!!!!!!!
YOU'VE got the racial problem. As A CHILD in the 60's, we would go visit my Aunt off Trumble. Behind Tiger Stadium. My uncle worked for GM, an average guy. Drove an Impala. My father worked for Ford. AGAIN, an average guy.Drove a Galixey 500. Simple people that took care of thier families.
So as a 7 year old, I'm wondering why the street is LINED with Caddies,there is NO LAWN on their house, the children are dressed in rags............I'm confused. Now I'm older. I've watched, I've learned
These ppl worked on the SAME LINE my father did. Making the same money but YOU chose to live in trash and blame whites.You run the city, you refuse to step up to the fact that you've RUINED the city. PHLIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
It became a magnet when african americans in the city were faced with high unemployment and police brutality. Years before they could hardly get into the then racist factories and those who couldn't often robbed their white neighbors. During racial matters the olice took whites side and some whites often openly showed racial dislike to blacks in the city causing riots like the historic 12th street riot. However the key to crime in the city to me was high unemployment.

Blacks had the highest home ownership in Detroit vs. anywhere else due to the auto industry. Blacks also had the lowest unemployment in Detroit due to the auto industry. Blacks came in droves from the south to get into the factories. I have no idea what you are talking about. The riots stemmed from the destroying of "Black Bottom" and boiled over with the raid of the blind pig.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 AM

93,371 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Keep in mind that Detroit has had riots, racially and/or economically based for a while. There were riots in 1863, 1941, 1943 and 1967(and I might be forgetting a riot or two). So, there has been a history in the city with violence. Can't forget the Ossian Sweet incident and I'm sure there are others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Race_Riot_(1943)

1967 Detroit riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Race_Riot_(1863)

The American Experience | Eleanor Roosevelt | People & Events | Detroit Race Riots 1943

detnews.com | Michigan History

1http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=201

Ossian Sweet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2009, 05:20 PM

36 posts, read 84,260 times
My family moved to Detroit in 1909. We have been a part of the city literally for a century. I have lived in her homes, walked her streets, went to her schools, and taught in her schools. I have listened to my 86 year old mother's stories about how Detroit was once great.

3 years ago I was in a graduate class at Wayne State, we started to talk about the relationship btw Detroit and the Burbs. I was told... "We do not want you living here! We want you to come down and spend your money and go home to the suburbs. YOU are the wrong color to live in Detroit". Gee thanks, my 100 years history with this city has no barring unless I "fit" into what is thought to be the Detroit porfile.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Blacks had the highest home ownership in Detroit vs. anywhere else due to the auto industry. Blacks also had the lowest unemployment in Detroit due to the auto industry. Blacks came in droves from the south to get into the factories. I have no idea what you are talking about. The riots stemmed from the destroying of "Black Bottom" and boiled over with the raid of the blind pig.
What am saying is that other things built up and when the raid happened and the riot broke out, certain things basically more fuel to the fire as the riot continued

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
That is so much BS !!!!!!!!
YOU'VE got the racial problem. As A CHILD in the 60's, we would go visit my Aunt off Trumble. Behind Tiger Stadium. My uncle worked for GM, an average guy. Drove an Impala. My father worked for Ford. AGAIN, an average guy.Drove a Galixey 500. Simple people that took care of thier families.
So as a 7 year old, I'm wondering why the street is LINED with Caddies,there is NO LAWN on their house, the children are dressed in rags............I'm confused. Now I'm older. I've watched, I've learned
These ppl worked on the SAME LINE my father did. Making the same money but YOU chose to live in trash and blame whites.You run the city, you refuse to step up to the fact that you've RUINED the city. PHLIT.
I don't blame whites, I blame the detroit police department at that time. It has nothing to do with my racial thoughts because I'm not racist to anyone. I did not live in the 50s and 40s, what I know about that comes from my parents and grandfather, although I've done research of my own. Non of it targets any individual race and I don't want it to be taken that way. I only know what it's been from the sixties to present. I don't want anyone to be offended, so if I did I apologize. And no it's not race against race, we are all in this together.

Last edited by Shrewsbury Road; 05-19-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Default Not enough life boats on the Titanic?

Yes we are all in this together. It is just sad that some on Detroit City Council think they are the center of the universe and because of position, status or marriage, believe they are above the law (remember Nixon).

I remember some time back, I think it was a man named Thompson, wanted to partner with Bing to build a few state of the art charter schools in the city of Detroit.

He was bringing a few $100 million with him and Bing was 100% on board. Thompson was told to keep his suburbanite money, stay out of education in Detroit and just go away.

Bing was called a traitor and Uncle Tom (paraphrase) for even being in partnership with the suburbanite and trying to undermine and destroy DPS.

Now Thompson is out (believe he opened a school or two in Howell?), Bing is the current messiah, and DPS..well do we really need to go down that rode?

Sarcasm is wasted when directed towards the uniformed.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Yes we are all in this together. It is just sad that some on Detroit City Council think they are the center of the universe and because of position, status or marriage, believe they are above the law (remember Nixon).

I remember some time back, I think it was a man named Thompson, wanted to partner with Bing to build a few state of the art charter schools in the city of Detroit.

He was bringing a few $100 million with him and Bing was 100% on board. Thompson was told to keep his suburbanite money, stay out of education in Detroit and just go away.

Bing was called a traitor and Uncle Tom (paraphrase) for even being in partnership with the suburbanite and trying to undermine and destroy DPS.

Now Thompson is out (believe he opened a school or two in Howell?), Bing is the current messiah, and DPS..well do we really need to go down that rode?

Sarcasm is wasted when directed towards the uniformed.
Although I've never heard that story I do agree with this, that for a while Detroit has had a negative relationship with it's suburbs because there are just people in Detroit that just don't like suburbanites. My belief is this will have to change within the next few years if we plan on getting the more needed help the suburbs can offer.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Angry The railroading of $220 MILLION...

Kind of says it all huh?

Bob Thompson renews $200 million offer [Education Report]

Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM

282 posts, read 1,169,264 times
]I don't blame whites, I blame the detroit police department at that time. It has nothing to do with my racial thoughts because I'm not racist to anyone. I did not live in the 50s and 40s, what I know about that comes from my parents and grandfather, although I've done research of my own.The 68 riots were not "targets" for anyone. targets an individual race and I don't want it to be taken that way. NOT my fault. I only know what it's been from the sixties to present. I don't want anyone to be offended, so if I did I apologize. And no it's not race against race, we are all in this together.[/quote]
LEARN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit