Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 AM

29 posts, read 67,745 times

Advertisements

I lived in Metro Detroit from '87-'99 and since leaving have always followed the comings and goings of the Motor City. My last visit was in 2004.

My visit this time included a Tigers game at Comerica Park (the Tigers lost but the stadium was full of fans), a couple of excellent dining experiences, and a drive through the area. I was pleasantly surprised. First, I did not hear any "self-loathing" that I've heard that Detroiters and Michiganians are doing these days. Second, I found downtown Detroit (specifically Campus Martius area) to be improving and thirdly, I found the suburbs as lively and vibrant as ever.

I did notice that rush hour traffic on I-275 and I-96 was less than I remember. Back in '98 and '99 these freeways were jammed at 4:30 in the afternoon.

The Book-Cadillac Hotel downtown has been impressively renovated and should be key anchor to Washington Blvd. However, Woodward Avenue south of Grand Circus Park is still dead. Downtown Detroit is chock full of impressive early 20th century buildings - most awaiting a rebirth.

My visit convinced me that Detroit still has a future. I'm planning on a return visit next year and looking forward to seeing more progress. Perhaps the Tigers will win the next time I attend a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM

364 posts, read 877,984 times
Glad you had a great time....and its nice to see an out-of-towner see firsthand how exaggerated things get on these boards! There are problems for sure, but its not as bad as some on here make its sound. Very few signs of the recession in most suburbs, and downtown Detroit is doing good. I work in the public, the only "self-loathing" I hear on a daily basis is whenever I choose to visit this board! Tigers games are a blast, too bad they lost when you went as they have had an excellent home record this year (though they are 3-4 in games Ive attended this year lol).

Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM

316 posts, read 1,182,045 times
Detroit is the real heart of Michigan. I think it is great when people can appreciate what the city has. Also refreshing to read some positive news, it gets tiresome seeing the only cheerleaders in the state residing on the judgemental Grand Rapids side.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 AM

I forgot to mention that I did spend a few days in West Michigan but prefer Metro Detroit when visiting the state. Detroit IS the heart of Michigan and, unlike GR, Lansing, and K-Zoo, has real character.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Nice to hear good things about Detroit!
I'm a relative newcomer to MI (2001) and while I'm not THAT impressed with Detroit (wouldn't live there), it's got some absolute gems. The Eastern Market is fabulous. And the Corktown area has a nice, gritty feel...DIA is a world-class art museum too.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,601 times
Detroit just finished hosting a large group of travel writers last week , I think they were here for almost a week and they interviewed some of them on the news (1st time visitors) and they had the exact same reaction .
Good press is always a good thing for sure , but is anyone else getting weary of having to prove ourselves time after time ? Didn't these people watch the Superbowl , World Series , Final Four , numerous Stanley Cups and Playoffs to name a few things lol

Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Keep in mind that the Downtown, Corktown, and Greektown area is a small fraction of Detroit; most of Detroit has had problems with unoccupied land, taggers, lack of police response, etc.

However the Detroit Blog, found here: detroitblog shows that there are good things, interesting things, and cool things found in this otherwise tragic city. Take a look to see what restaurants, shops, and oddball places you can find throughout the rest of the city.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Neat blog, Vicman! I really need to get to know more about Detroit since I'm only an hour or so away. It doesn't seem right to form an opinion about a city I haven't spent much time in yet...I have met too many Michiganders who dismiss it as an awful and scary place - but really know nothing about it. Except it's poor, crime-ridden and filled with scary (black) people. Which is sort of true I guess, but a lot of non-scary people seem to live there too....

Although one thing I have noticed, even visiting Greektown and the Mexican area and around the university - there's not much of a pedestrian culture. I don't mean in the ghetto-ey parts, I mean in the areas I just mentioned. And I thought Greektown was kind of lame.

I did have one of the better meals I've had in Michigan at a place called Slows Barbeque...that was really awesome and I want to go eat there again! Any other ideas for interesting Detroit places I'm all ears. I have been to the park where the aquarium used to be (can't recall the name right now) and thought it was great, with the big empty fountains and views. But not a place I'd visit after dark...

Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Keep in mind that the Downtown, Corktown, and Greektown area is a small fraction of Detroit; most of Detroit has had problems with unoccupied land, taggers, lack of police response, etc.

However the Detroit Blog, found here: detroitblog shows that there are good things, interesting things, and cool things found in this otherwise tragic city. Take a look to see what restaurants, shops, and oddball places you can find throughout the rest of the city.
Here's another cool website about the city of Detroit that people could check out too: Model D - Detroit News

Old 07-31-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Neat blog, Vicman! I really need to get to know more about Detroit since I'm only an hour or so away. It doesn't seem right to form an opinion about a city I haven't spent much time in yet...I have met too many Michiganders who dismiss it as an awful and scary place - but really know nothing about it. Except it's poor, crime-ridden and filled with scary (black) people. Which is sort of true I guess, but a lot of non-scary people seem to live there too....

Although one thing I have noticed, even visiting Greektown and the Mexican area and around the university - there's not much of a pedestrian culture. I don't mean in the ghetto-ey parts, I mean in the areas I just mentioned. And I thought Greektown was kind of lame.

I did have one of the better meals I've had in Michigan at a place called Slows Barbeque...that was really awesome and I want to go eat there again! Any other ideas for interesting Detroit places I'm all ears. I have been to the park where the aquarium used to be (can't recall the name right now) and thought it was great, with the big empty fountains and views. But not a place I'd visit after dark...
I had dinner at Slows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit